Porter Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dry Nottingham, S-05, Wyeast or WL Cal-Ale, Wyeast 1028 London... Pretty much any yeast that ferments relatively clean. The yeast above ferment clean, produce some fruitiness at higher temps.

Personally, I've used Nottingham and Wyeast 1968 (London ESB) for porters. Both sets of batches came out really well (different recipes), but I think I preferred the batches with the London ESB yeast. I think it imparts a bit more flavor than Notty, but the batches with Notty were still good.

Any English yeast should do fine.

You might want to stay away from Nottingham (use S-04 if you want to use dry). Nottingham may be too clean, and may attenuate too much and not leave enough body. It will work, but be sure you know it's limitations.

I won a blue ribbon with Nottingham (repitched unwashed slurry.) JZ's buddy Tasty was second. The guidelines are fairly wide for a robust porter. American or English versions are equaly valid, although some judges fail to read that.

WLP002/005/013/023 -- those are English strains that work well for almost any English style ale. They're slightly fruity which works well for the style (less fruit when you work in the lower end of the temperature range).

Back