Should I decoct a Baltic Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepy_D

Reaction score
I’m not trying to debate the merits of decoction in general but is decoction character something that would be beneficial in a Baltic Porter? If you are someone who is anti decoction, would you put melanoidin malt in a recipe to make up for it or does the style not need those flavors?

I’m not trying to debate the merits of decoction in general but is decoction character something that would be beneficial in a Baltic Porter? If you are someone who is anti decoction, would you put melanoidin malt in a recipe to make up for it or does the style not need those flavors?
Totally up to you of course, and I myself have learned something on the merits or lack of merits of decoction generally (always did previously), at least my Baltic porter has 59% Munich, so for me, plenty of that character in the malt alone. Especially given the other dark malts and roast grain. Just my thought. Good luck - that's a great beer.

My wife is Estonian and her uncle Heino Pallo used to run the Tartu Õlletehas (literally, "Tartu Brewery") in Tartu, Estonia, under the Soviets through the liberation of Estonia on the USSR's collapse. Founded in 1807 by a Prussian family under the name A. le Coq, their family surname (they were actually French huguenot expats who left France for Prussia). They made a great Baltic porter.

Totally up to you of course, and I myself have learned something on the merits or lack of merits of decoction generally (always did previously), at least my Baltic porter has 59% Munich, so for me, plenty of that character in the malt alone. Especially given the other dark malts and roast grain. Just my thought. Good luck - that's a great beer.

My wife is Estonian and her uncle Heino Pallo used to run the Tartu Õlletehas (literally, "Tartu Brewery") in Tartu, Estonia, under the Soviets through the liberation of Estonia on the USSR's collapse. Founded in 1807 by a Prussian family under the name A. le Coq, their family surname (they were actually French huguenot expats who left France for Prussia). They made a great Baltic porter.
My recipe is about 50% pils and 40% Munich. I wasn’t sure if decoction was traditional for the style. The BJCP guidelines usually say when decoction is traditional and I didn’t see mention of it for Baltic porter. I’ve been trying decoction on more styles but I didn’t want to do it for this if it would produce something uncharacteristic

My recipe is about 50% pils and 40% Munich. I wasn’t sure if decoction was traditional for the style. The BJCP guidelines usually say when decoction is traditional and I didn’t see mention of it for Baltic porter. I’ve been trying decoction on more styles but I didn’t want to do it for this if it would produce something uncharacteristic
Unfortunately Heino passed many years ago, or else I'd ask him. My suspicion is almost certainly, no, they didn't decoct it, though I can't be sure of course. I've contacted A le Coq and let you know if I hear back.

Unfortunately Heino passed many years ago, or else I'd ask him. My suspicion is almost certainly, no, they didn't decoct it, though I can't be sure of course. I've contacted A le Coq and let you know if I hear back.
Wow thank you for doing that!

Põhjala gives you their recipe forthright:

1705952317158.png

Interesting, step mash but no decoction. And 8.5% carafa II seems like a ton!
Yeah, that seems pretty heavy to me. Looking at my old recipe from a long time ago, I've got 59% Munich 8, 29% pilsner, 1.5% each of pale chocolate and Carafa II, 3% Baird's crystal 55, and 6% Special B. 29 SRM. Northdown hopping. Take it for what you will, but it was a hit among the Estonian crew.

Yeah, that seems pretty heavy to me. Looking at my old recipe from a long time ago, I've got 59% Munich 8, 29% pilsner, 1.5% each of pale chocolate and Carafa II, 3% Baird's crystal 55, and 6% Special B. 29 SRM. Northdown hopping. Take it for what you will, but it was a hit among the Estonian crew.
And what about your mash schedule? Single infusion? Step? Decoct?

And what about your mash schedule? Single infusion? Step? Decoct?
90 @ 150, 30 @ 170. Thick mash, 1 qt/lb. But this recipe is ancient (like, I think, late '90's or early 2000's) so I'm sure I'd tweak it by now. I decocted everything in German lagers back then, but no other lagers like this one. I was also playing with a "Baltic Black Ale" that included 5% rye, so might have been informed by that, not sure.

90 @ 150, 30 @ 170. Thick mash, 1 qt/lb. But this recipe is ancient (like, I think, late '90's or early 2000's) so I'm sure I'd tweak it by now. I decocted everything in German lagers back then, but no other lagers like this one. I was also playing with a "Baltic Black Ale" that included 5% rye, so might have been informed by that, not sure.
Awesome thanks for the info

I heard back from them.

Dear Paul,

We do not have a technical capability for decoction brewing in two out of three of our Baltic breweries. There is an option in our Lithuanian brewery, but they rarely use it. Historically, the main reason for decoction brewing has been coping with sub-optimal raw materials. Mainly, inadequate malting. Nowadays, getting extract out of malt is not an issue.

Kind regards,

..................."

I decoction most of my German/Czech lagers, but never thought about doing it to my Baltic Porter. Hmmmm, might give it a try this year. My base grain bill is 25% Pils and Vienna, 50% Munich.

Back