Poll: Do you have, or plan to get, an electric car?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you have an electric car or plan to get one?

• Yes

• No

• I plan to

• Over my dead body

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm driving a PHEV, and we rarely take it out of the tri-county area because it doesn't have much space. I have never paid to use a commercial charger. It's charged in my garage, or at a free level 2 charger.
Of course you've never paid for a commercial charger with a PHEV. You've paid to fill up the gas tank instead 😂

But going back to the article, it makes a lot of assumptions that are not necessarily realistic.

For example, an assumption is that a household is a one-vehicle household. So you have to make a choice between your trips being 100% BEV or 100% ICEV.

But I think a fair number of early adopters might be multi-vehicle households. Let's say post-pandemic, Dad works from home 3 days a week and goes to the office 2 days a week. Mom is a realtor and works from home when she's not showing houses. They have 2 kids who have to go back and forth to school. They own a Bolt BEV and an Suburban ICEV.

Well in that family, they can use the BEV a **TON** for their daily driving tasks, and then when they want to go on a vacation, they load up the Suburban and don't worry about charging because they can stop for gas. And if Mom has a schedule showing properties where she might be expected to rack up 300 miles in a single day, maybe she takes the Suburban instead of the Bolt, and Dad drives the Bolt to take the kids to/from school.

In those situations, it might be absolutely normal to NEVER use a commercial charger, or at the very least it's 1-2% of charging requirement, not 25%.

It's why I advise if someone is looking at a BEV to honestly look at their driving habits, their home charging capability, and how often they have an "exception" to their driving habits. If you're a salesman in Winnipeg who has to drive to make sales calls commonly with 250 mile days (even in the frigid winter), you probably aren't a BEV candidate. If you're a corporate accountant living in Irvine CA who nominally drives 10 mi to and from the office every day and MAYBE on the weekend you drive up to LA, you're golden. (Not that anyone in OC likes to go to LA for any reason lol...) If you're like me, and you primarily WFH while your wife drives to an office ~30 miles r/t every day, and you're a 3-vehicle family so you have options for ICEV for road trips, it makes PERFECT sense to have one BEV (which is why I'm looking at it when we replace one of our current vehicles, but that's 4-5 years out as they're paid off and the mileages are still low). We all have different situations.

It goes back to that group essentially putting out BEV hit pieces, but I'm digging more into the assumptions that underpin those hit pieces.

Of course you've never paid for a commercial charger with a PHEV. You've paid to fill up the gas tank instead

Maybe 4 times a year excluding road trips, but now that we're a family of four the car doesn't really work for packing all the stuff we need for a weekend at grandparent's house.

I might have missed it but I don't recall seeing this study linked here...
https://www.andersoneconomicgroup.com/cars-gas-powered-cheaper-to-fuel-than-electric-in-late-2022/
Don't know really what to make of it save for the cost of "fuel" wasn't all that different between EV and ICE in 2022...

Cheers!
A quick Google suggests that they're a group that likes to put out EV hit pieces. I haven't read what they've put out there yet, but I am skeptical.
A takedown of the linked report, which is from a highly biased source, done by another highly biased source. The takedown makes what appears to be several valid points.

Brew on :mug:

hit pieces
For years I've felt that coverage in the New York Times has reflected a lack of enthusiasm for electric vehicles. Or, anyhow, way less enthusiasm than my own☺️.

As @doug293cz suggests, one person's hit piece is another person's solid reporting (because confirmation bias). But lying (with or without statistics) is still lying.

As @doug293cz suggests, one person's hit piece is another person's solid reporting (because confirmation bias). But lying (with or without statistics) is still lying.

Yep. And as you know (because you posted in the thread), I've made the same point in a thread in the debate forum about the cocoon of confirmation bias. Not that I want to drag the debate forum over here of course.

But that's what is difficult about that Anderson piece. They're not lying. They're presenting an analysis based on certain assumptions. Those assumptions MIGHT be true for some EV owners. In fact, they might be true for more EV owners than admit they're true, or have even thought about how often they are using commercial chargers and the associated costs.

But none of that matters, because only nerds [like me] will actually go and click through to the 45-page (IIRC) PDF of the study to examine what assumptions they made. A slightly larger portion of the population will see the headline and click through to the landing page and read the summary and think they're informed. And most? They'll just see the headline and needle their EV-driving buddy "See?! I told you these 'lectric cars were stupid!"

I don't have any intentions on getting one. I just can't see the bennies. Or I guess I do see a few of them but the downside outweighs the up IMHO.

That damn Tesla Plaid looks like a fun toy though I'll tell ya that.

Cheers
Jay

They're not lying. They're presenting an analysis based on certain assumptions
This doesn't mean it's not a "hit piece." Vigorous advocacy can sometimes masquerade as journalistic analysis. Sometimes it's hard to tell, as when the Washington Post piece I referenced in #1526 above compares an "average" with a "median".

The electric vehicle decision is complex, and includes hard fact along with emotional issues, including choosing which facts are important. Regrettably, as with many other things, it's also become entangled with politics and group loyalty. <sigh>

Regrettably, as with many other things, it's also become entangled with politics and group loyalty. <sigh>
I think this is a faulty assumption. The EV owners that I know spread across the whole spectrum and an article on CNN shows that's not just anecdotal.

Surveys show Tesla shoppers are only slightly more likely to be Democrats than Republicans.

Surveys by research firm Morning Consult show that in January about 22% of Democrats were considering buying a Tesla, while 17% of Republicans were looking to purchase one. And that gap has been closing — Republican consideration of buying a Tesla has risen about 3 percentage points just since December’s survey. And Republicans are slightly more likely to trust the Tesla brand, 27% compared to 25% among Democrats.

This doesn't mean it's not a "hit piece." Vigorous advocacy can sometimes masquerade as journalistic analysis.
Oh, agree. It's totally a hit piece. But it can simultaneously be a hit piece and also not lying.

As an example, Fantasy Football pundit Matthew Berry has a column he posts every year of 100 facts you should know before you draft. And this year's (like most IIRC) starts off with him comparing two players. Player A is talked up with stats and truth and analysis that makes you think he's EXACTLY the guy you need on your squad. Player B is derided with stats and truth and analysis that make you feel like you should put that bum on your do-not-draft list and let someone else deal with that headache.

The kicker... They're the same player. He uses it as an example of how you can tell two completely different stories with truthful statistics and do so to manipulate people towards what you want.

In this case Anderson dresses up the analysis based upon assumptions of use that are all tilted one direction--the direction they wanted to prove going into it.

Drove a Hertz Tesla 3 rental car in the Dallas area recently. After driving for a few days and putting on about 150 miles on the standard range car (240 miles?), I hit a Supercharger near the airport before turning it back in. Hooked it up, walked inside (it was a large gas station with chargers), used the restroom, bought a snack and walked out to find the car DONE charging. As in 100%.

The car was honestly amazing, and that charging experience changed my perspective on EVs. I know the infrastructure is not quite there, but Tesla sure seems to be way ahead of the rest in the overall view of EVs. I am not a Elon Musk fan, but that car is a game changer.

I have mixed feelings about some major manufacturers switching to Tesla plugs. I don't know how open Tesla's charging tech really is. I learned a lot about FOSS in the mid aughts, and have used Linux almost exclusively for about 15 years. One of my priorities is balancing open technology with convenient tech, and I don't know where this falls in that balance.

Being able to access Tesla's supercharger network, though, is obviously a big deal.

I find it incredibly ridiculous that people are arguing about the ease of use between something like the Tesla plug and the J1772 plug. Maybe the DC Fast Charger version of the J1772 really is that much bulkier, but my experience thinking about the physical plug / plugging in process has been an absolute non-issue. Unless it comes up in an article, I don't think about those things except for the five seconds it takes to actually plug in. I find the idea that a plug, even Tesla's, can be called "sexy" laughable, and yet some people describe it that way.

calling that thing a mustang is just insulting though...i guess it's a decent ev though.

Ford can build a shopping cart and call it a mustang if they want. Ford isn't my preferred brand, but that's the control they have over the mustang brand. I do applaud them for using that kind of branding to elevate their EV and EVs in general.

a plug, even Tesla's, can be called "sexy"
Yes, the difference between charging plugs (even the honkin' CHADemo or CCS) seems like a rather minor concern. If Tesla will really welcome non-Tesla makers and drivers, then perhaps its standard will prove to be a fine thing even if the necessary adaptors are even clunkier than existing DC fast charge plugs.

We seem, as a species, rather sex-oriented. Our plugs and receptacles are male and female, and they mate. I suppose it makes more sense to call an entire car sexy.

Attachments

• DSC_0320.jpg
    DSC_0320.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 0
Drove a Hertz Tesla 3 rental car in the Dallas area recently. After driving for a few days and putting on about 150 miles on the standard range car (240 miles?), I hit a Supercharger near the airport before turning it back in. Hooked it up, walked inside (it was a large gas station with chargers), used the restroom, bought a snack and walked out to find the car DONE charging. As in 100%.

The car was honestly amazing, and that charging experience changed my perspective on EVs. I know the infrastructure is not quite there, but Tesla sure seems to be way ahead of the rest in the overall view of EVs. I am not a Elon Musk fan, but that car is a game changer.
I don't like Elon Musk, and I don't particularly like Tesla.

That said, they're a few years ahead of the rest of the market in the EV learning curve. Given how difficult that learning curve is, it makes me wonder whether my next car purchase in roughly the 2027 time frame will have EV options from other carmakers that are both beyond that learning curve, and also available in a robust used market b/c I don't buy new.

Time will tell.

calling that thing a mustang is just insulting though...i guess it's a decent ev though.

I'm with you. A 4-door crossover is NOT a Mustang.

If they wanted to make an EV Mustang, they should have just done it. EVs can have eye-popping acceleration, so it would have actually made sense to have an EV Mustang.

a friend is visiting this evening on his way home to San Diego (roadtrip: San Diego -> Vancouver BC -> Seattle -> Pasco, WA -> Portland, OR -> San Diego) on a 6-day roadtrip in his Tesla (I think it's an X, but could be an S)

I'll have to discuss his experience making a long trip like this and what if any impacts charging had on his journey

Sorry, I was away on a cruise and HBT was blocked on their wifi. That article is absolutely a hit piece. The assumptions they use were crafted specifically to ensure that gas comes out on top.

Except for very unique scenarios, its not even close. A realistic 280 miles costs me $9. In a 3 second 0-60 rocket.

But that said, any media, meme, propaganda, etc that convinces people my car a political pipe dream, a piece of crap, a toy, a golf cart, etc is music to my ears because it ensures a longer free ride for me! There’s absolutely no benefit to current EV owners in convincing others to switch.

IT's great if Walmart isusing big as diesel powered generators for the EVs local filling/charging stations. There are, believe it or not, EV drivers who think they are saving the planet because they run clean. The truth is electric power is coal generated. When it's out of sight, it's still polluting the same. I think it's fantastic people can see it for what it is more local.

IT's great if Walmart isusing big as diesel powered generators for the EVs local filling/charging stations. There are, believe it or not, EV drivers who think they are saving the planet because they run clean. The truth is electric power is coal generated. When it's out of sight, it's still polluting the same. I think it's fantastic people can see it for what it is more local.

On HBT, the discussion about climate change is best left in the Debate section. Although I think that it's safe to point out that electricity generated in the US is not 100% from coal. And I know there's at least one guy here who charges his Tesla in his garage using solar panels he had installed on his property.

For EV drivers who believe climate change is real, whether the electricity comes from a clean source is something to think about. But to flatly say that the only thing EVs do is move emissions from the tailpipe to the power plant is misleading.

And remember, discussing climate change is for the Debate section. We already have a thread there.

Correction: coal accounts for 119.5% of US power generation.

19.5% + 100% from the low-information crowd = 119.5%

And of course the cars are programmed to only source from coal generating plants. One time I hooked up to a solar paneled charger which triggered an alert on my app to immediately find a coal source or risk having my car “bricked”.

True story.

I think this is a faulty assumption. The EV owners that I know spread across the whole spectrum and an article on CNN shows that's not just anecdotal.
Electric car adoption may well be spread fairly evenly across the political spectrum, but electric car rhetoric is another matter.

Even the design of this poll thread, outside the debate area, hints at the emotional (and, I feel, political) aspect: OP included the "over my dead body" option, chosen by 13.8% of respondents as of now. I suspect (assume?) poll responses and some thread posts are influenced by the dynamics that the CNN piece downplays. My personal decision to go electric includes the technical merits of the vehicles and environmental concerns.

All that said, I'm totally fine with keeping the focus on practical and technical matters. As @Kent88 points out, there's another place for debate.

Of course you've never paid for a commercial charger with a PHEV. You've paid to fill up the gas tank instead 😂

But going back to the article, it makes a lot of assumptions that are not necessarily realistic.

For example, an assumption is that a household is a one-vehicle household. So you have to make a choice between your trips being 100% BEV or 100% ICEV.

But I think a fair number of early adopters might be multi-vehicle households. Let's say post-pandemic, Dad works from home 3 days a week and goes to the office 2 days a week. Mom is a realtor and works from home when she's not showing houses. They have 2 kids who have to go back and forth to school. They own a Bolt BEV and an Suburban ICEV.

Well in that family, they can use the BEV a **TON** for their daily driving tasks, and then when they want to go on a vacation, they load up the Suburban and don't worry about charging because they can stop for gas. And if Mom has a schedule showing properties where she might be expected to rack up 300 miles in a single day, maybe she takes the Suburban instead of the Bolt, and Dad drives the Bolt to take the kids to/from school.

In those situations, it might be absolutely normal to NEVER use a commercial charger, or at the very least it's 1-2% of charging requirement, not 25%.

It's why I advise if someone is looking at a BEV to honestly look at their driving habits, their home charging capability, and how often they have an "exception" to their driving habits. If you're a salesman in Winnipeg who has to drive to make sales calls commonly with 250 mile days (even in the frigid winter), you probably aren't a BEV candidate. If you're a corporate accountant living in Irvine CA who nominally drives 10 mi to and from the office every day and MAYBE on the weekend you drive up to LA, you're golden. (Not that anyone in OC likes to go to LA for any reason lol...) If you're like me, and you primarily WFH while your wife drives to an office ~30 miles r/t every day, and you're a 3-vehicle family so you have options for ICEV for road trips, it makes PERFECT sense to have one BEV (which is why I'm looking at it when we replace one of our current vehicles, but that's 4-5 years out as they're paid off and the mileages are still low). We all have different situations.

It goes back to that group essentially putting out BEV hit pieces, but I'm digging more into the assumptions that underpin those hit pieces.
A couple of years ago we bought our son's 2017 Prius when Grandson #3 arrived and the car couldn't handle a family of five. So long PHEV, hello mini-van. We've always had at least one Volvo in our family (blame SWMBO'd, who's of Scandinavian descent). When retirement planning was in the final stages 10 years ago, we bought a new S60 and a diesel Mercedes RV.

Short story long: The Volvo is 10 years old, in mint condition and gets driven less than 3-5K miles per year. The used Prius gets driven about 12-15K, mostly about town, using less than 2 tank fill-ups (9 gallons each) per year with everything else being EV mode and battery charging at home. Even with plug-in charging several times per week, we haven't noticed our electric bill increasing at all, though it must have increased at least some.

On the other hand, The RV gets used extensively for road trips, on average about 20-22K miles annually, sometimes more. When traveling, we almost never drive more than 300 miles per day. Even though we get between 15~18 MPG (it's a small RV), I'd trade it in a New York second if Benz would finally start importing the Electric Sprinter to the U.S., and if RV up-fitters would make a unit based on this model. I really like the instant torque and quick acceleration of EV, in addition of course to reduced emissions and carbon footprint. An added benefit to RV living is the 400W solar array on our roof, plus electrical 50A plug in at virtually every place we stop for the night. Sure would take care of those $80-$100 diesel fill-ups every 400 miles.

Even the design of this poll thread, outside the debate area, hints at the emotional (and, I feel, political) aspect: OP included the "over my dead body" option, chosen by 13.8% of respondents as of now.

The poll was designed a little strangely. I'm not sure the site supports multiple polls per thread, but it would've been nice if we had two questions, one being a question of ownership, and another questioning the plan to purchase or not.

Happy PHEV owner here who plans on buying a BEV when my PHEV hits the mileage milestone that I usually think about trading at. Not sure what's happening with my Jeep, though. I'd love to have it be the last pure ICE vehicle I own, but my wife loves Jeep for road trips and Stellantis/Fiat-Chrysler are not handling their transition to electric well.

Your wish is granted.
if Benz would finally start importing the Electric Sprinter
eSprinter At least if you're a fleet customer 😏

"Prepare to experience the all-new fully electric eSprinter. For the first time in the U.S., customers can elevate their fleet’s sustainability with a locally emission-free, battery-powered van bearing the Mercedes-Benz star."

Your wish is granted.

eSprinter At least if you're a fleet customer 😏

"Prepare to experience the all-new fully electric eSprinter. For the first time in the U.S., customers can elevate their fleet’s sustainability with a locally emission-free, battery-powered van bearing the Mercedes-Benz star."
The manufacturer/up-fitter we've purchased from (we're on our 4th RV from them) is a company in Canada called Leisure Travel Vans. I can't speak more highly about the quality of their products, and believe me we've researched quite a few manufacturers. The size is perfect for two people and is quite comfortable and livable for weeks (and even months) at a time. We've twice taken trips that lasted two or more months away from home, and have visited all 48 of the contiguous United States as well as 5 Canadian Provinces in the 10 years that we've been traveling this way.

Recently Mercedes has come out with an updated Sprinter for model year 2023 with a significantly improved drivetrain. The old chassis had a 188 BHP high torque 5 cylinder turbo diesel with 5 speed transmission. The new model has 230 BHP, 20% higher torque output, 4 cylinder twin turbo with 7 speed tranny. And it gets 18%-22% BETTER fuel economy! Same basic weight, same GVW and GVCW towing capacity. There really is free lunch.

The problem with RV manufacturers is that they buy/order a few hundred cutaway chassis at a time and keep them on hand in storage to fulfill sales orders as they come in, so it's often a year or more until the inventory of frames gets replaced with new production. Leisure Travel currently has a 24-36 month waiting period backlog for a new delivery. It's not uncommon for a "2023" model RV to actually be built (up-fitted) from a 2021 cutaway chassis. Post-Covid, there's a slowdown in sales that boomed during the lock-down period when people wanted to travel but didn't want to fly on airplanes or stay in hotels. It may be some time before these new 2023 chassis and possibly eSprinters start showing up in RV dealerships. Since I'm not getting any younger, that's sadly a bandwagon I'll likely not be jumping on. 😞

Not too many vehicles of any kind in my future. In about 5 years my Bolt will probably get replaced.

Those Sprinter RVs are reportedly quite splendid.
It’s a perfect size for extended driving. National parks generally limit vehicle size to <30 feet in length, so 24.5’ is ideal. We don’t feel the need to tow a “dingy” behind like the larger ‘land yachts’ do. We have little difficulty maneuvering and parking in commercial lots. Street parking or parking garages are a non-starter however.

The Mercedes chassis is a real workhorse while also being extremely safe, comfortable and easy to drive. The quality of the coach quarters and furnishings do vary quite a bit from different up-fitters. With smaller vehicles, space is always at a premium, so design and functionality of the floor plan are uniquely important. Interior design has to be more like a 40’ sailboat rather than a ‘box on wheels’ tow-behind, or “toad” as they are affectionally known.

These Sprinter-based RVs have been our cabin in the mountains, our condo on the beach, and our magic carpet to adventure and exploration, all rolled into one. It’s not ‘camping’ as much as it is ‘glamping’. We love it.

a friend is visiting this evening on his way home to San Diego (roadtrip: San Diego -> Vancouver BC -> Seattle -> Pasco, WA -> Portland, OR -> San Diego) on a 6-day roadtrip in his Tesla (I think it's an X, but could be an S)

I'll have to discuss his experience making a long trip like this and what if any impacts charging had on his journey
Had a great discussion over an overstuffed charcuterie board and IPAs ...

Some of the highlights:

- he typically charges up when battery drops to 20%, and then only charges to 80%. exception is for lengthy road trips when he will charge to a full 100% and run down to 10-15% if needed. charge time at a high capacity station is typically around an hour for 20% to 100%

- he can typically get four hours of freeway driving with a/c and headlights on before needing to recharge at the 20% mark. he noted he's not 20 years old any more, and this four hours aligns nicely with his body's need for a bathroom break and bite to eat. typically the walk to/from a charging station to a bathroom and then having a quick bite takes about an hour so there's not a lot of waiting on a charge before he's back on the road.

- typical charge for that four hours of driving is around $20 at the high capacity charging station. maybe he has a plan/discount on the Tesla network, maybe he doesn't. I reference that I just made a 500 mile r/t with my ICE vehicle and I paid over $115 at Costco prices for gas - definitely a LOT more expensive than what he would have spent charging up the Tesla per costs he noted having

- when not on road trips, he never utilizes a pay station to charge as he has a 50 panel solar power system at home that powers his home charging station (and a whole lot more)

- special note that he paid off his home solar power system in just under two years based on charging his two Tesla cars (a model 3 and a model x) alone. that was almost 10 years ago and solar panels are cheaper today than they were back then

- he doesn't miss his Beamer or Vette as the X has better performance, a more comfortable ride, is roomier, and costs less annually to operate than any other vehicle option he's had in the past 10 years

- given the choice of ICE or EV he'd continue forward with EVs in the future as they're only getting better, have longer range, and are less expensive to own/operate

the was a lot more to the conversation, but it's summed up pretty good with the above. he noted that a lengthy road trip like he was taking (San Diego -> Vancouver BC -> Seattle -> Pasco WA -> Portland OR -> San Diego) took some pre planning for charging stops, but nothing significantly more than what would be done when planning a lengthy road trip with an ICE vehicle.

I can't/won't argue for/against his points noted above. I'm simply following up on the conversation we had and sharing his thoughts as he was 2/3 the way thru his trip and any negatives were fresh in mind. Even his 14 year old son was not having issues with the drive time between stops or the length of charge times.

I'll also note that he's not driving EVs for environmental reason - it's purely a comfort and financial driven decision based on his family's driving habits and work commuting needs

I agree with everything in your summary, but have to ask if you’re sure he said he charges to 100% during road trips (20%-100% in one hour).

Now that is about right - maybe a little less than one hour - but the car will aim for 80% when charging at Superchargers on the road, and this takes more like 25-30 minutes. It is very rare to come across someone charging to 100% while roadtripping, and the car does in fact slow down charging from 80%-100% when doing so. It’s counterproductive time-wise and considered unideal for battery health.

Back