Pitching Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
Hello,

Does it matter whether the yeast is poured on top/sprinkled on top of the wort as opposed to pouring the yeast into the wort and then mixing it into the wort ? Thought I read somewhere that it shoud be left ontop of the wort. Thanks

If you are talking about dry yeast, I have never had a problem just sprinkling it on top and leaving it.

Fermentis says this about direct pitching their yeast:
Pitch the yeast directly in the fermentation vessel on the surface of the wort at or above the fermentation temperature. Progressively sprinkle the dry yeast into the wort ensuring the yeast covers all the surface of wort available to avoid clumps. Ideally, the yeast will be added during the first part of the filling of the vessel; in which case hydration can be done at wort temperature higher than fermentation temperature, the fermenter being then filled with wort at lower temperature to bring the entire wort temperature at fermentation temperature.

I sprinkle the dry yeast on top and gently stir it into the wort. I do not think the stirring really helps, but I do it anyway. It works.

Hello,

Thanks for the feedback, I have never sprinkled it dry. I have always rehydrated and poured on top of the wort. Yesterday I poured it in and then agitated the Carboy to add oxygen. Fermentation started off slowly and was different in appearance. What appeared to be silt/Krausen under the surface app. 4" down. But this AM looks great, sediment has dropped to bottom 2-3 ", wort has cleared some and airlock bubbling strongly. Starting to think that probably doesn't matter too much how you add the yeast. Thanks again

Thanks for the feedback, I have never sprinkled it dry. I have always rehydrated and poured on top of the wort. Yesterday I poured it in and then agitated the Carboy to add oxygen.

Some manufacturers have begun suggesting just sprinkling instead of rehydrating the yeast. Also, dry yeast has the compounds necessary for propagation stored in with them so you don't need to add oxygen.

I've poured the dry yeast into the fermenter and poured the wort on top of it, I have sprinkled it on top of the foam, and I have rehydrated the dry yeast before adding it. All methods make beer and I can't say that any one of the methods is superior. YMMV

Back