Pasteuriser for cider bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onehappycloud

Reaction score
Hi hi, I have been expanding my micro cider production, still at home. I am happy not to use any additives and have been pasteurising the bottle in a 'granny's' fashion, submerging the bottles in a big pot. Now I would have > 400 bottles and am looking for a bigger solution, still a compact one. The ones available on line are the industrial machinery. Does anyone have any idea/solution for pasteurising 50/100 bottles batches? Thank you for!!

Your bottles need to be sanitized not pasteurized. Dunk them in a simply Star San solution for a couple of minutes then place them on a draining board to drain. They are fine to fill while still wet, no need to dry them.

Thank you, Murph. I meant filled with sider bottles. So it's pasteurising. I do use StarSan for sterilisation.

I recently read on HBT, that someone suggested using a dish washer to pasturize filled bottles. I would think that would get you close to 50 bottles at a time. It might be worthwhile checking the dish washes manual to see if it contains any temperature information. Good luck!

Thank you Climb, a good idea! I will check it!
Regarding the dishwasher, I remember when I studied nutrition at the Uni, we did an experiment with cooking the fish in a foil placing it in the dishwasher. It turned out perfect:)
Wish you a nice day!

Hi hi, I have been expanding my micro cider production, still at home. I am happy not to use any additives and have been pasteurising the bottle in a 'granny's' fashion, submerging the bottles in a big pot. Now I would have > 400 bottles and am looking for a bigger solution, still a compact one. The ones available on line are the industrial machinery. Does anyone have any idea/solution for pasteurising 50/100 bottles batches? Thank you for!!
Just to clarify here. Are you trying to prepare the bottles for filling? Or are you trying to stop fermentation in a filled bottle?

Just to clarify here. Are you trying to prepare the bottles for filling? Or are you trying to stop fermentation in a filled bottle?
Hi hi,
Well, I thought per definition, the pasteurisation includes the liquid. Otherwise it's sterilisation of bottles. So, yes, I need to pasteurise the filled with sider bottles, to stop the 'secondary' fermentation:) I did it in a big pot which was not difficult with < 50 bottles. But now it will be ~ 300... Was looking for other solutions but as big as an industrial pasteuriser...
Please share any any ideas if you have some, thank you!!

Bunch of confusing use of terms but it seems that we are all on the same page now.
For clarification
Before you are filling the bottles you are sanitizing, there is no way you are reaching the level of microbial kill to call it sterilized.

To pasteurize filled bottles you are either looking at doing multiple batches using your pot method or find a large cooler that you heat with a Sous Vide Stick.

Additionally have you considered doing your conditioning/carbonating in a keg, once you reach your desired carbonation/sweetness, kill the yeast with potassium sorbate, and then fill your bottles from the keg?

Bunch of confusing use of terms but it seems that we are all on the same page now.
For clarification
Before you are filling the bottles you are sanitizing, there is no way you are reaching the level of microbial kill to call it sterilized.

To pasteurize filled bottles you are either looking at doing multiple batches using your pot method or find a large cooler that you heat with a Sous Vide Stick.

Additionally have you considered doing your conditioning/carbonating in a keg, once you reach your desired carbonation/sweetness, kill the yeast with potassium sorbate, and then fill your bottles from the keg?
Thank you! Yes I agree on sanitizing/sterilizing.
I have been doing multiple batches but now looking for simplifying it. Could you suggest any Sous Vide Stick system and where to buy it? Am in Chile but can order it online. If I just know what to order.

Yes, I considered Potassium sorbate but prefer not to use any preservatives, neither additional carbonization. So, the two options are stop the fermentation when Im happy with the sweetness/carbonation or to add juice concentrate and do an additional fermentation in a bottle. Then stop it by pasteurising. Do you see any disadvantages with that? I have a protocol that allows me to be sure to not overcarbonize it/avoiding 'the bottles bombs'.

I believe <6 bar pressure is fine. Sugar in my concentrate, 4 gr/l > cider seems ok.

I remember old photo's of Rev Nat's cider production process, so I hunted around and found some:
1666185036678.png

Here's an explanation how to build it:
http://reverendnatshardcider.com/news/pasteurizing-on-a-small-scale/
And a you tube video, about 2:20 in, shows the pasteurization process:

Rev Nat's has since upgraded their equipment and now uses standard bottles and cans, haven't seen anything about how they pasteurize these days....

Last edited:
You'd be looking for something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Stai...ifQ==&sprefix=inkbird+sous+vid,aps,214&sr=8-3
You may be able to get a large cooler like this, cut a small hole just enough to fit the sous vide stick into it.
https://www.amazon.com/Igloo-Polar-...ifQ==&sprefix=large+igloo+cool,aps,212&sr=8-2
Thank you again. I checked with a friend who is a Chef and he told me sous vide will not work in a bigger container ... he suggested a Bath Marie: a big container and a 'number of 'levels/buskets' inside that could be elevated with a chain ...Hmmm

I remember old photo's of Rev Nat's cider production process, so I hunted around and found some:
View attachment 784141

Here's an explanation how to build it:
http://reverendnatshardcider.com/news/pasteurizing-on-a-small-scale/
And a you tube video, about 2:20 in, shows the pasteurization process:

Rev Nat's has since upgraded their equipment and now uses standard bottles and cans, haven't seen anything about how they pasteurize these days....

THANK YOU!! I remember I saw this great video before but could not find it again... This this looks promising, I will check this out now! I like even their harmonica hydraulic press. Its quite different...

Last edited:
Back