OYL 091 Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
This is 48 hrs and the krausen hasn't dropped.
Normally around the 40 hr mark it's done.
Continue to let it go? I'm brewing Saturday and need this finished no later then tomorrow so I can cold crash and harvest.
IMG_0851.JPG

Is it on a stirplate? If so the foam may never subside. Though usually I get very little.

Age of the yeast? Gravity and size of the starter?

Usually a starter on a stirplate is done in 18 - 24 hours, after that the yeast are just expending energy fermenting the wort and are very slowly increasing in cell count.

That wort doesn't look as milky as I would expect for a finished starter. I would let it go as long as you can. It looks like a pretty small starter, you could let it go until you brew then pitch the whole thing.

Yes it's on a stirplate. Whenever I make a starter I harvest 2- 50 ml vials to use for future starters. This one is from May of this year.
Color isn't quite as milky as usual but with this yeast starters are finished under 48 hrs.I
I'll let it go until tomorrow.

Yes it's on a stirplate. Whenever I make a starter I harvest 2- 50 ml vials to use for future starters. This one is from May of this year.
Color isn't quite as milky as usual but with this yeast starters are finished under 48 hrs.I
I'll let it go until tomorrow.

As long it’s a 5 gal batch or greater, you can pitch the whole thing with no ill effect. Pitching active yeast (that hasn’t been chilled) is probably better than “watering it down” with spent wort

It's for a 5 gal batch- As of this morning, the foam/krausen still hasnt subsided. I'm going to take it off the stirplate this evening, swirl it up and harvest 100 ML then cold crash the rest.

Back