Imperial Yeast Urkel for a Czech pils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugAC

Reaction score
Question, i brewed a Czech pale lager Saturday evening and pitched imperial yeast urkel from a starter late Saturday night. I cold crashed to 60 than pitched the yeast but forgot to drop the temps down to mid 50s range. What can I expect from a higher beginning fermentation temp with this yeast for 48 hours? I’m sure it will be fine but I’m normally more on top of things when I’m fermenting.

Brewed a lot of lagers, but never used that specific yeast so I don't know how sensitive it is. Recommendation seems to be 52-58°F, meaning you are not far off. Was it sitting at 60°F during the first 48 hours, or did the fermentation kick in and raise the temp during that time? Anyway, you will probably not even notice it, especially if you cooled it down afterwards. Biggest problem would be if the yeast went to sleep when you cooled it rather than any off flavors.

I cooled the wort down to 60 then pitched and had my fermentation chamber set to 60 degrees. With the differential, it likely ranged anywhere from 58-62. I have it set at 54 now. I'm sure it's fine, and yes the pack says higher temps reduce the sulfur notes, and result in a light ester profile. Cheers!

Back