1469, 11 plato - on lees for a couple weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know this is elementary, but I can only recall from the years being paranoid about sitting on yeast for any length - always about racking off as soon as primary is finished, "for a clean beer." Only since coming back have I seen people's discussion about the greater harm in oxidation than any presumed autolytic effects (which I'm now taking to be a sort of homebrewing myth - I'm unlearning in some older paradigms).

So, a best bitter with 11 P OG and 1469. Been rousing several times a day. I harvested at 48 hours, last night. Today, 60 hours, the krausen is still quite frisky and I am continuing to rouse. I had planned to possibly take primary to 6 days, Dec. 17th, dry hop slurry for 3 days, crash cool a day and bottle on the morning of the 22nd. We leave on the 22nd out of town for Christmas, returning on the 26th. That would be dependent on a stable FG of course.

However, that's going on our schedule. If I had my druthers, I'd easily give it a couple weeks before dry-hopping. If not more. So to the question, what's the current thinking on leaving on primary lees for 2-3 weeks? Particularly, the 1469 or another like it, like WLP037?

Edit: For what it's worth, we're at 1.014, 70 hours, 67.4 ADF. This puts it on the low end of Wyeast's listing for 1469, 67-71%.

best bitter krausen - 48 hours.jpg

Last edited:
Autolysis isn't so much a former homebrewers' myth than a misapplication of commercial scale problems on the homebrewers' scale. The pressure at the bottom of a commercial fermenter's X barrels of beer isn't replicated in a homebrewers' fermenter of 5, 10, 20G.

2-3wks? Leave it. 2-3mos? I'd probably leave it. I've definitely left a few big beers on the lees that long to no effects discernable by my untrained palatte.

Two weeks from pitch to a stable FG is an ideal "cruise control" fermentation for me.
Add in a soft crash to 50°F, two days of dry hopping, then a hard crash to 36°F, and it's in the keg in three weeks flat.
I like those :)

Cheers!

Back