Theoretical max amount of starter wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadozen

Reaction score
Quick question: what's the max amount of starter wort you'd chuck into a 5.5 gallon batch?

Started started about 12 hours later than I normally would, thought about just getting lazy and skipping the crash.

Starter was harvested S04 as 10ml clean slurry in what ended being 1600ml. 6.8g of dme for a 1.055ish og Strong Bitter.

It's chugging along in the stir plate. I'm not worried about viability or anything. Just got curious how lazy I can get and how much insane oxidation flavor that would add to the finished beer.

I use the proper starter all the time and dump in. It's concentrate , so the total amount comes out to 1L I believe.

Quick question: what's the max amount of starter wort you'd chuck into a 5.5 gallon batch?

I have seen 5% volume recommended, which for 5.5 gal of wort, or 20L, would be right at the 1L amount. I would not be too concerned about 1.6L. I suspect a Strong Bitter is a style that would hide a little oxidation character even if there was some "oxidation flavor" from the starter.

I have seen 5% volume recommended, which for 5.5 gal of wort, or 20L, would be right at the 1L amount. I would not be too concerned about 1.6L. I suspect a Strong Bitter is a style that would hide a little oxidation character even if there was some "oxidation flavor" from the starter.
The homebrewing subreddit was pretty much "full send" so I guess that's how we're doing this.

It was mostly just a question born of lazy curiosity though, so thanks to all the home brew folks I get to be curiously lazy

A few questions:
Starter was harvested S04 as 10ml clean slurry in what ended being 1600ml. 6.8g of dme
My emphasis, above.^
Using only 10 ml of yeast harvested slurry?
Then you added 6.8 grams (that's less than a tablespoon) of DME to 1600 ml (= 1.6 liter) of water to make a starter?

BTW, you'd be pitching starter beer into your batch, not wort. Wort becomes beer as soon as yeast is added. ;)

A few questions:

My emphasis, above.^
Then you added 6.8 grams (that's less than a tablespoon) of DME to 1600 ml (= 1.6 liter) of water to make a starter?

BTW, you'd be pitching starter beer into your batch, not wort. Wort becomes beer as soon as yeast is added. ;)
I mean, yeah. Semantics at some point, but everyone who responded knew what I meant.

I'll clarify next time, but you fine folks kinda put this one to bed, so I have doubts about a "next time" on this issue

A few questions:

My emphasis, above.^

I screwed up something somewhere with weights, BUT I clearly have beer happening.

Good healthy krausen forming. Full send. Kinda wish I put real thought into my stir bar, but hey, that's why I bought a set of them.

I wasn't super kind to my brain in my younger years, lol

Attachments

• 20230420_224824.jpg
    20230420_224824.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back