Over Attenuated BarleyWine - What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwc360

Reaction score
My friend and I brewed a barleywine with that went from 1.110 to 1.014 in 4 days!!! What can I say...I make good starters...anyways, it's still fermenting and I really don't want it to drop any further as its already a bit drier than i wanted it to be. We mashed at 150 so I'm really surprise that we have 87% apparent attenuation so far. Wanted it to be dry..but not that dry

Would racking it into a secondary now encourage fermentation to stop while not having any loss in the yeasts ability to clean-up the brew? I know its beneficial to keep in primary long enough but I don't usually secondary so not sure if it will have the same benefits.

assuming it drops a few more points, i've read that there a few options to up the gravity, leaning towards a bit of lactose at the moment...

Thoughts?

My friend and I brewed a barleywine with that went from 1.110 to 1.014 in 4 days!!! What can I say...I make good starters...anyways, it's still fermenting and I really don't want it to drop any further as its already a bit drier than i wanted it to be. We mashed at 150 so I'm really surprise that we have 87% apparent attenuation so far. Wanted it to be dry..but not that dry

Would racking it into a secondary now encourage fermentation to stop while not having any loss in the yeasts ability to clean-up the brew? I know its beneficial to keep in primary long enough but I don't usually secondary so not sure if it will have the same benefits.

assuming it drops a few more points, i've read that there a few options to up the gravity, leaning towards a bit of lactose at the moment...

Thoughts?
Add some maltodextrin?

Racking won't change anything as it's the yeast in suspension that does all the work, the one in the yeast cake on the bottom has already quit. Besides that, somehow stopping fermentation prematurely (barring pasteurization and sterile filtration) will only get you bottle bombs later.

All you should do is wait it out, and add maltodextrin later if you need a bit more body. It may need to age a long time before it's ready to drink, methinks.

To borrow from Monty Python...

"I used to DREAM of over attenuating a barleywine! "

I would let it ride.

I have a 1.091 no-adjunct wee heavy that went down to 1.008. Aged it a year then added 8oz maltodextrin in the keg, and I add a splash of simple syrup at serving.

Don't worry about it too much. You may very well have a beer with plenty of body and character. What was the recipe and which yeast(s) did to use?

Here's the recipe. We did a parti gyle...first runnings is supposed to be something close to Old Ruffian barley wine (Great Divide Brewery) and the second runnings is an ESB. You can ignore the hop calc, the IBU should be about 90.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/754536/old-ruffian-esb-parti-gyle

based on my calc I should've hit 1.102 OG for the first 5 gal. I didn't even need to add any of the DME, got to 1.110 without it. I just used plain old WY1056. I made a 3L starter with a pack that was 2 months old...targeted for about 500B cells.

its now stopped fermenting at about 1.010...which calculates to be about 90% attenuation and 13-14% ABV...it tastes like cough syrup but its only two weeks in so I'm hopeful it'll turn out great in a year.

Back