Other Half Daydream (oat cream IPAs) - all grain clone attempts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kegged this one Monday evening and did my standard quick/burst carb overnight. Still wasn't where it needed to be last night, so it's sitting on 30 psi until this afternoon. Color looks great and the nose and everything else is where I want it. I'll share pics when it's fully carbed. But feels good to get out of my NEIPA slump. These are the first ones I've been really happy with in quite a while.
Very happy with this one.
thumbnail_IMG_6212.jpg

To answer the first question, no. I personally haven't enjoyed the beers that I made with S-04 so I stopped using it a while ago. Never got the plastic thing from it though. Im sure some people use it successfully, just was never as good as LAIII for me. Given that the same beer with different yeast is fine, Im guessing it has to do with pitch rates/ fermentation temps. It sounds like the yeast is creating undesirable phenols. Could be in a higher protein content beer that the polyphenols are interacting with the protein, like in a normal hazy, and ur just suspending bad phenols haha. Sort of made that up, but makes sense to me.
I just had Treehouse Curiosity 113 and it also has some of that flavor I’m referring to as plastic. It seems very likely S04 is the main yeast for C113, based on what we know about their house yeast. Being an all Pilsner grain bill, protein would be much lower than mine.

Going to throw a try at something similar to Nick P on here since I love GNO.

Original Gravity : 1.082 / 19.8 °P
Final Gravity : 1.017 / 4.3 °P

Fermentables
54.1% Pale Malt, 2-Row
21.6% Oats, Malted
10.8% Oats, Flaked
8.1% Oats, Golden Naked
5.4% Wheat Malt White

Acidulated malt to adjust pH
Rice hulls too.

200 Cl : 85 SO4 is where I usually keep my DIPAs

Just unsure if I want to do 152 or 154 for the mash. I was thinking 152 due to how much malted adjuncts are in there to make it not so chewy but have a good body still.

What do you guys think? Using Juice for the yeast.

Just unsure if I want to do 152 or 154 for the mash. I was thinking 152 due to how much malted adjuncts are in there to make it not so chewy but have a good body still.

Looks yummy! Personally, I like my mash at 150F. There's plenty going on that I prefer shooting for a lower FG and in my experience rounds the beer out a little more. Never have issues with body with all these oats and the water profile.

Looks yummy! Personally, I like my mash at 150F. There's plenty going on that I prefer shooting for a lower FG and in my experience rounds the beer out a little more. Never have issues with body with all these oats and the water profile.
agreed. My beers typically finish 1.012-1.014 and have plenty of body and are far softer than beers that finish 1.018-1.020

agreed. My beers typically finish 1.012-1.014 and have plenty of body and are far softer than beers that finish 1.018-1.020

Thanks guys. I don't really care for an IPA when it is super sweet and overtakes all the flavors on the palate so mashing low will probably what I do.

Will post an update when done.

Anyone try using Verdant with these beers? I get significantly more attenuation with this yeast as compared to LA III. Body is a bit reduced, but still soft and much more drinkable. Seems perfect for this style of beer!

Anyone try using Verdant with these beers? I get significantly more attenuation with this yeast as compared to LA III. Body is a bit reduced, but still soft and much more drinkable. Seems perfect for this style of beer!
Quite a few people in the NEIPA thread have been using it with success with a high oat content. They seem pretty happy with it. @HopsAreGood care to share your experience here?

Quite a few people in the NEIPA thread have been using it with success with a high oat content. They seem pretty happy with it. @HopsAreGood care to share your experience here?
Overall I like it, but I don’t think it’s anything particularly amazing. I know some people say they get really high attenuation with it but I’ve had a crap out on me a few times and finish pretty high. It tends to start off really quick like a rocket but then it slowly putts over the finish line which could be a little bit annoying. The first few times I used it I was getting this kind of yogurt creamy character but I haven’t gotten that the last few times. It leaves a really nice drinkable beer but I don’t think the mouth feel is quite on par with traditional LA3.

In my experience it's damn close to LA3, I got that vanilla thwang a few times but I also had a profile very close to LA3, it also attenuates close to LA3 for me but I don't oxygenate and I also pitch only 1 package and add a little nutrition. Mash at 150f always end up in the 1.015-1.016 range as planned. 73% attentuation roughly

I was a bit inspired by this post to try an oat-cream IPA given I also have pounds of Citra hops in the freezer. Here is my recipe and result...

Citrus CrayCream IPA

2021-07-16.jpg

Amt
Name
Type
#
%/IBU
Volume
8 lbs 8.0 oz​
Pale Ale, Golden Promise®™ (Simpsons) (2.5 SRM)​
Grain​
6​
50.2 %​
0.66 gal​
3 lbs​
Oats, Malted (Simpsons) (1.5 SRM)​
Grain​
7​
17.7 %​
0.23 gal​
2 lbs 8.0 oz​
Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)​
Grain​
8​
14.8 %​
0.20 gal​
2 lbs​
Alvarado : White Wheat Malt (Mecca Grade) (3.3 SRM)​
Grain​
9​
11.8 %​
0.16 gal​
5.0 oz​
Oats, Golden Naked®™ (Simpsons) (9.1 SRM)​
Grain​
10​
1.9 %​
10 ozLactose @ 5 minSugar

Mashed at 153 for 50 minutes.

1.069 OG
1.018 FG

Fermented with a combination of repitched Juice (LA3) slurry and Vermont IPA from Gigayeast (Conan strain).

40 minute boil -- you can use your own hop schedule here, but this was the combo I used.

14g Citra @ 40

@ 165F whirlpool for 35 mins:
56g Citra
28g Galaxy
28g Strata
28g Sabro

Dry hop on day 3 with the same combo for 3 days.

Crash for 24 hours.

Final dry hop in the keg with half this amount (suspended from lid). Serve off hops after 2 days and give 7 days rest. I took very close care to purge the keg containing the hops of all oxygen, running CO2 through the beverage tube and out the PRV for about 3 minutes at 2 PSI. Also purge the transfer tube.

Notes:
Wonderfully silky and clean mouthfeel. Surprisingly consistent with the dream / daydream beers from OH. Theirs seem to have a bit more body, but this is every bit as pillowy.

The aroma is killer, with lots of papaya, orange, passionfruit, pina colada, slightly coconutty. A bit piney from the Citra. I wanted something that was bright and "overripe" to complement the lactose sweetness. I think next time I would go just Galaxy and Sabro, with a bit of Citra only.

The tricky part is getting cleanliness from the dry hops without tools like a centrifuge and inline filtration. In my case, I used both a pickup tube filter on the fermenter, and a nylon "hop bag" for the keg. This keeps any hop particulate (You won't find it anywhere in the glass), however you still have the polyphenol hop burn. After a week I found it tolerable enough to drink and serve. Friends really enjoy this beer. We don't get anything this "thicc" in Oregon and very little OH makes it out here.

Cheers!

Update on the clone attempt...

Color is getting there and the flavor isn't too far off, but its still carbing and conditioning. The flavor will mellow and smooth over the next couple days. Good mouthfeel. More to come and a picture in a glass for comparison.

I made some last minute changes to the finale recipe. Here is what went down on brew day:

5 gal batch
OG: 1.066
FG: 1.020
ABV ~6%

FERMENTABLES

56% 7.3 2-Row - US

20% 2.6 Flaked Oats - US

10% 1.25 White Wheat - US

8% 1 Rice/ Oat Hulls

8% 1 Carafoam (Weyermann)

HOPS

0.5 Citra Pellet First Wort 0 min

1.5 Citra Pellet Boil 10 min

4 Citra Pellet Hop Stand 30 min (@ 165* )

3 Citra Pellet Dry Hop 7 days (added day 3/ high krausen)

3 Citra Pellet Dry Hop 5 days (added day 7 post fermentation)

YEAST

1 Gigayeast packets 1L Vermont yeast starter 80

EXTRAS

1 lb lactose 0 min FlameOut

Mash 157 60
Mash pH ~5.2-5.5 (still working on my pH mash adjustments)
Mash Out 169 15

Fermentation 1 68* 10

NOTES

Whirlpool at 165*. Pitch and ferment at 68. First dry hop at Day 3/4 (depending on krausen). Let rise to temp to 72* F (around day 5) and hold for 2 days. Cool to 60* F and add Second dry hop post fermentation (~day 7) Cold crash 5 days after second dry hop and hold cold crash for 2 days.

QQ for those out there. Why the addition of rice hulls?

Going to throw a try at something similar to Nick P on here since I love GNO.

Original Gravity : 1.082 / 19.8 °P
Final Gravity : 1.017 / 4.3 °P

Fermentables
54.1% Pale Malt, 2-Row
21.6% Oats, Malted
10.8% Oats, Flaked
8.1% Oats, Golden Naked
5.4% Wheat Malt White

Acidulated malt to adjust pH
Rice hulls too.

200 Cl : 85 SO4 is where I usually keep my DIPAs

What do you guys think? Using Juice for the yeast.

This beer was completed about a week and half ago but due to hop burn had to let it sit for a little before I could give it a final census. Started 7/6 and ended 7/19 with all dry hop additions and carbing.

Ended up hopping with lupomax mosaic, lupomax idaho 7 and motueka. Lots of danky tropical fruits followed by some woody aromatics. The color came out perfect with the hops and malt. I was nervous with the amount of GNO I was using that it would push it into a dark orange but came out to my favorite yellow range.

The body was about right for how much protein was involved so mashing low was the key to that. It is still a tad too sweet for me so I feel as though I need to drive the FG down a little more. Maybe the 1.014 range.
Screenshot_20210801-221450_Instagram.jpg

Back