Organic, Fair Trade Honey for Brewing at +50% OFF!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got mine delivered yesterday. :bigmug: The taste is amazing, but has a very distinctive flavor. I am thinking I'll use clover to make a basic mead and use the Zambizi to back sweeten so not to loose all of the flavor.

I got mine delivered yesterday. :bigmug: The taste is amazing, but has a very distinctive flavor. I am thinking I'll use clover to make a basic mead and use the Zambizi to back sweeten so not to loose all of the flavor.

.... This honey provides flavour, body and colour to any brew. It has notes of toffee, treacle, whisky and malt.....

@cmac62, could you describe the "distinctive flavor"? Is the flavor the same as what the seller describes?

So we have been making Show Mead with the African Honey for years. A couple of suggestions about retaining the flavor. Don't heat it over 50 degrees C. It starts to lose flavor. If you are using clover and well as African Forest, depending on the ratio, your flavour profile will tend toward whatever honey is in the majority. I would suggest 50/50. Also, we note that the African Mead takes a lot longer to age out. In our view it is undrinkable at the end of secondary ferment. HOWEVER, age it for a year and it will blow you away. 100% African Honey mead is a sort of cross between Ice wine and Dry Sherry.

I got mine right on time but we had great weather that weekend and spent it all outside since we been so cooped up. Only weekend of quarantine so far I haven't brewed. Still haven't settled on a recipe.

One pack went in the pantry for general household use. Everyone agrees the flavor is quite good.

So we have been making Show Mead with the African Honey for years. A couple of suggestions about retaining the flavor. Don't heat it over 50 degrees C. It starts to lose flavor. If you are using clover and well as African Forest, depending on the ratio, your flavour profile will tend toward whatever honey is in the majority. I would suggest 50/50. Also, we note that the African Mead takes a lot longer to age out. In our view it is undrinkable at the end of secondary ferment. HOWEVER, age it for a year and it will blow you away. 100% African Honey mead is a sort of cross between Ice wine and Dry Sherry.
Thanks for the input. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and just use the honey straight in some mead to get the full flavor of a straight mead. I can let it sit for a year or so, then by next Christmas or so it will be amazing. :mug:

Thanks for the input. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and just use the honey straight in some mead to get the full flavor of a straight mead. I can let it sit for a year or so, then by next Christmas or so it will be amazing. :mug:
Here's a photo of one of our batches of straight show mead with this honey. It's quite beautiful when you hold it up to the sunlight.

P_20200523_144940_vHDR_On_1.jpg

I just placed an order as well. Seems like a great deal and I hope I enjoy the honey! Thank you for the discount code.

Hi there @Kharnynb -- we're sad too!
We'd love to be able to ship to you, but we had to disable shipping options to countries outside of the US and Canada because of potential import issues and to avoid customers being disappointed when their order gets delayed or seized by Customs. Most countries allow their people to import up to 2 kg for personal use without issue, but larger quantities can generate significant customs and import duties.

Here's a picture of my Forest Honey Mead. I used the BOMM protocol and left it in primary for almost three months. Back sweetened 2.5 gals with two pouches of the honey with some tannin and acid blend. It's pretty sweet and next time I would use only one, but it tastes great. I get the full taste of the honey with a slight tang. Good stuff. Thanks for the honey. :bigmug:

Attachments

• 20210217_183523[1].jpg
    20210217_183523[1].jpg
    746.6 KB · Views: 22
Back