Organic, Fair Trade Honey for Brewing at +50% OFF!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_queen_bee

African Bronze Honey Company
Reaction score
We just took delivery of the most delicious brewing honey on the planet... and it's in the wrong package! We can't sell it in stores, so we are passing this deal on to Home Brewers... because we're home brewers too! This is organic, fair trade honey at a remarkable discount – less than half price!

We are the US & Canada distributors for 10,000 forest beekeepers in Africa. They produce the most flavorful honey in the world! It's perfect for Beer, Braggot, Mead or Jun (that's like kombucha, but made with honey). We know, we've made them all! This honey provides flavour, body and colour to any brew. It has notes of toffee, treacle, whisky and malt. Use it to carbonate and bottle condition, or add at the end of primary ferment for great honey flavour.

Our honey is traditionally harvested using handmade hives, made by wild bees. It's gathered in a pristine Zambian wilderness forest, it's the way honey used to be, before agriculture.

Brew with honey now!
---
Buy 6 Zambezi Organic Forest Honey get 2 free – 63% off! (To get this deal add 8 to your cart, then enter discount code (ZAM6+2) at checkout.)
---
Buy 12 get 5 free – 66% off! (To get this deal add 17 to your cart, then enter discount code (ZAM12+5) at checkout.)
---
20% off our Pails of Tanzanian Gold Amber Honey
Use code GOLD20 at checkout.

PS, this is the same honey used in Honey Orange Tripel. Have questions? Let us know here on HomeBrewTalk, or send us a note at [email protected]. Or give the King Bee a call at 1-844-KILLER-B (1-844-545-5372)

Last edited:
Wow nice, I just ordered 2lbs of Wildflower honey but I would've purchased this if I had known... I'm looking into beekeeping now but the initial investment is a bit expensive.

Wow nice, I just ordered 2lbs of Wildflower honey but I would've purchased this if I had known... I'm looking into beekeeping now but the initial investment is a bit expensive.

Nice to hear from you! The good news is that honey has an unlimited shelf life! The bad new is that this special pricing will be available only as long as this stock lasts!

We are in our second season as beekeepers. Started with two hives and the initial start-up was around $500-$600 (kinda reminds me of the initial brewing/all-grain investments...haha). I'm trying to get a couple of more brews in before the season really gets going. We're in the middle of splits now, so time to brew is quickly declining.

We are in our second season as beekeepers. Started with two hives and the initial start-up was around $500-$600 (kinda reminds me of the initial brewing/all-grain investments...haha). I'm trying to get a couple of more brews in before the season really gets going. We're in the middle of splits now, so time to brew is quickly declining.

I was a beekeeper with 12-15 hives (depending upon the year) in my backyard decades ago when I was a teenager. I specialized in cut comb honey and sold out to my neighbors every year.

Back then, we had Italian honey bees. Word got out that I would remove swarms for free and before you knew it, my hives grew and grew. Today, with African bees essentially taking over, I'm curious how you handle that?

In the day, I would only wear shorts, a short sleeve shirt and a netting mask. Then I would use the smoker when opening the hives. I would regularly mark the queen bee with a drop of model paint so as I would know how old she was and when she needed to be "replaced". My goal was to keep the queen laying 2,000 eggs a day so as to increase production.

The only time I got stung multiple times was when I dropped the queen twice. After dropping her the second time, her "court" reminded me to leave her alone. After being stung seven times, I immediately dropped everything and just ran into the house and waited until things calmed down. I ended getting stung a total of 12 times. Lesson learned....DON'T DROP THE QUEEN! Eventually, the next weekend I marked her without incident.

I wish you good luck! I'm sure methods have changed.....

True that, and brewing isn’t my only hobby so money is scarce. There’s a local place in Florida coming up on offering 5 frame nucs and queens... Thing is I’d have to pay for a beekeeper to get going, they wouldn’t allow a novice to purchase anything on their own, no matter how quickly I may learn. I’d imagine a traveling beekeeper is pretty expensive.

I absolutely love honey (and bees), it’s up there in my edible interests, same as fermentation. When I realized I could experiment with adding honey to my new BIAB setup to increase alcohol content naturally I was sold and looked into beekeeping, since I remembered the local place offering their services mid-May. Came out mildly disappointed, but I’ve been hovering around beekeeping for years, before I ever even considered brewing. It’s a bucket list thing.

Before Covid19, I would have been interested. Since, I will ONLY buy that which helps with unemployment in the USA and my local area businesses.
Good luck to you guys, but my country comes first.

Discount code isn't working?

Screenshot from 2020-04-19 08-44-22.png

I was a beekeeper with 12-15 hives (depending upon the year) in my backyard decades ago when I was a teenager. I specialized in cut comb honey and sold out to my neighbors every year.

Back then, we had Italian honey bees. Word got out that I would remove swarms for free and before you knew it, my hives grew and grew. Today, with African bees essentially taking over, I'm curious how you handle that?

In the day, I would only wear shorts, a short sleeve shirt and a netting mask. Then I would use the smoker when opening the hives. I would regularly mark the queen bee with a drop of model paint so as I would know how old she was and when she needed to be "replaced". My goal was to keep the queen laying 2,000 eggs a day so as to increase production.

The only time I got stung multiple times was when I dropped the queen twice. After dropping her the second time, her "court" reminded me to leave her alone. After being stung seven times, I immediately dropped everything and just ran into the house and waited until things calmed down. I ended getting stung a total of 12 times. Lesson learned....DON'T DROP THE QUEEN! Eventually, the next weekend I marked her without incident.

Not too entirely much has changed. I usually wear a smock with a veil and shorts and have been only stung around six times in two years. We try to only use the smoker when they get agitated (which is not too often-the smoker usually sits in the corner of the yard until a) they get agitated or b) we finish without using it and then I dump the embers in the fire pit. We have not done the free-form comb and use foundation, but like you, we sell out to neighbors and co-workers in no time. Part of our problem was that we gave a small sample the first batch to our friends/family; they thought that we would refill them once they were done...hahaha. Lesson learned.

The Africanized bees definitely seem to have hit your neck of the woods, but for some odd reason, the farthest north they've gone in FL is central FL. Apparently two hours north, the weather is not as stable as south FL. Our local apiary inspector specializes in Africanized bees and spends most of his research time in south FL inspecting traps for them (which are then re-queened with Italian or Russian varieties). Once the Africanized queen is replaced, all of the new queens offspring replace the mean ones. It's pretty interesting. He is not too concerned with us having to deal with the Africanized bees in north FL; we will see how that goes.

So far so good this year...we will cross our fingers and let nature do her thing...haha.

True that, and brewing isn’t my only hobby so money is scarce. There’s a local place in Florida coming up on offering 5 frame nucs and queens... Thing is I’d have to pay for a beekeeper to get going, they wouldn’t allow a novice to purchase anything on their own, no matter how quickly I may learn. I’d imagine a traveling beekeeper is pretty expensive.

I absolutely love honey (and bees), it’s up there in my edible interests, same as fermentation. When I realized I could experiment with adding honey to my new BIAB setup to increase alcohol content naturally I was sold and looked into beekeeping, since I remembered the local place offering their services mid-May. Came out mildly disappointed, but I’ve been hovering around beekeeping for years, before I ever even considered brewing. It’s a bucket list thing.

We had zero costs with getting started aside from equipment (and the bees obviously). Find a local beekeeping association close to you; most have mentors (usually older, retired and experienced beekeepers) that will visit weekly when you get the nuc in place or installed in a 10 frame hive. Our mentor was out twice a week sometimes to help because we had queen issues early on. He has refused offers for honey, offers of homebrew, and refuses to give us ideas for gift cards. A true salt-of-the-earth guy, and he has helped immensely.

Luckily, much like brewing, I keep it simple and don't buy too many gadgets and toys. It could be dangerous if I was into that for either hobby...haha.

We had zero costs with getting started aside from equipment (and the bees obviously). Find a local beekeeping association close to you; most have mentors (usually older, retired and experienced beekeepers) that will visit weekly when you get the nuc in place or installed in a 10 frame hive. Our mentor was out twice a week sometimes to help because we had queen issues early on. He has refused offers for honey, offers of homebrew, and refuses to give us ideas for gift cards. A true salt-of-the-earth guy, and he has helped immensely.

Luckily, much like brewing, I keep it simple and don't buy too many gadgets and toys. It could be dangerous if I was into that for either hobby...haha.

lol, besides maybe an expensive conical fermenter down the road, I’m done with purchasing homebrew gear. And if I got a fermenter I’d have to get a fridge for temps, my 5 gallon buckets in a swamp cooler with a wet towel work perfectly fine to keep them around 68F for 5 days before I move them to room temp.

Perhaps I’ll take a more serious look into getting started with bees. I just finished two large raised bed gardens filled with tomatillos and extremely hot peppers lol, plus an in ground bed filled with misc. like lavender, basil, mint... anything I can do to bring myself outside during such stressful global ****, I will do. I love having my new brew day outside. We sort of hijacked this thread, but more exposure cod the greatness of the bee.

And it keeps bumping it back up on the forum....haha. I am doing the exact same thing in the backyard. Built three raised beds (tomatoes/corn/peppers) and spots for three hop rhizomes (Cascade) that were planted three weeks ago. All three have sprouted and are now being trained on the twine. I'm afraid that when everything starts back up, the garden is going to go to hell because we won't have the time to stay on top of it like we do multiple times a day now...haha.

Before Covid19, I would have been interested. Since, I will ONLY buy that which helps with unemployment in the USA and my local area businesses.
Good luck to you guys, but my country comes first.

Thanks, we understand your concern. We all need to support each other and contribute in the way we can. Feel free to check us out again when this is all over, nothing compares to African forest honey.

If you do end up buying honey make sure it's from your local beekeeper, otherwise always check the source carefully, there is a lot of deception out there. Our honey not only provides income for marginalized beekeepers, it helps protect vast forest areas that would otherwise be in danger of being cut down.

Stay well.

If you are a honey lover, you owe it to yourself to give this honey a try. Because it comes from an African forest and is made by wild bees, it is very different than agricultural honey, even if wildflower.

We worked with a few well known craft breweries, who first told us they wouldn't use honey in any of their brews -- but they tried it anyway and loved the result. A meadery told us the same thing about using African honey, but then tried it... and ended up making one of their best meads ever.

Thanks! Methods have changed, but the projects we work with (in Zambia and Tanzania) harvest honey using traditional harvest methods (going back 4 or 5 hundred years). The bees are wild African bees, not the Africanized bees (that are actually hybrids) that have resulted from the escaped African queen bees that were brought to Brazil in 1957. The African bee is very hardy, resistant to mites etc, but not aggressive in the same way as Africanized bees. There are also no pesticides, so the bees are not stressed by any chemicals.

Generally, the beekeepers have veils and suits, but not always. The projects we work with provide training in sustainable harvest and in harvest techniques that result in honey that can be certified as organic -- i.e. no chemicals whatsoever. They use either Kenyan top bar hives or traditional hives they make out of bark or hollow logs. Either way, they place the hives 30 feet high up in the trees, deep in the forest, sometimes 30 kilometres away from any road. They'll place the hives near a swarm, the bees will then populate it.

The beekeepers use smokers lightly, just enough to access the hive for harvest. They're trained to always leave enough honey behind so that the hive can sustain itself -- the bees are not fed otherwise. You could say they are like bee ranchers as opposed to beekeepers.

Harvest is generally twice a year, sometimes 3 times a year. During the dry season, the honey tends to be lighter because there are fewer trees flowering, so it's more monofloral. The December harvest is a multi-floral honey that is very dark in colour, high in anti-oxidants. As well, because it is forest honey, it is also partially honeydew (which is made from nectar collected by other insects which the bees find and steal -- the work is partially done, so they love it).

All of this, the forest environment, the hives, the harvest methods, produce a honey that we cannot make here.

What kind of duty charges would one expect to the US via UPS? I’ve heard that can be very pricey?
N
There is no duty on organic honey. You can choose to ship via UPS or if you choose the Canada Post option, they work directly (and seamlessly) with USPS, no duty or taxes will be charges. We ship to the USA all the time, without any border issues. Shipping costs for the pouches is relatively inexpensive, because the packaging is so light.

lol, besides maybe an expensive conical fermenter down the road, I’m done with purchasing homebrew gear. And if I got a fermenter I’d have to get a fridge for temps, my 5 gallon buckets in a swamp cooler with a wet towel work perfectly fine to keep them around 68F for 5 days before I move them to room temp.

Perhaps I’ll take a more serious look into getting started with bees. I just finished two large raised bed gardens filled with tomatillos and extremely hot peppers lol, plus an in ground bed filled with misc. like lavender, basil, mint... anything I can do to bring myself outside during such stressful global poopy, I will do. I love having my new brew day outside. We sort of hijacked this thread, but more exposure cod the greatness of the bee.

Its a good opportunity to talk about bees, the environment, helping each other, relieving stress... All good! We just wish it would warm up enough for us to sit outside and enjoy a brew...

We just took delivery of the most delicious brewing honey on the planet... and it's in the wrong package! We can't sell it in stores, so we are passing this deal on to Home Brewers... because we're home brewers too! This is organic, fair trade honey at a remarkable discount – less than half price!

We are the US & Canada distributors for 10,000 forest beekeepers in Africa. They produce the most flavorful honey in the world! It's perfect for Beer, Braggot, Mead or Jun (that's like kombucha, but made with honey). We know, we've made them all! This honey provides flavour, body and colour to any brew. It has notes of toffee, treacle, whisky and malt. Use it to carbonate and bottle condition, or add at the end of primary ferment for great honey flavour.

Our honey is traditionally harvested using handmade hives, made by wild bees. It's gathered in a pristine Zambian wilderness forest, it's the way honey used to be, before agriculture.

Brew with honey now!
---
Buy 6 Zambezi Organic Forest Honey get 2 free – 63% off! (To get this deal add 8 to your cart, then enter discount code (ZAM6+2) at checkout.)
---
Buy 12 get 5 free – 66% off! (To get this deal add 17 to your cart, then enter discount code (ZAM12+5) at checkout.)
---
20% off our Pails of Tanzanian Gold Amber Honey
Price will be reduced automatically at checkout.

PS, this is the same honey used in Honey Orange Tripel. Have questions? Let us know here on HomeBrewTalk, or send us a note at [email protected]. Or give the King Bee a call at 1-844-KILLER-B (1-844-545-5372)
Code for 12 not working.
20200421_195327.jpg

Code for 12 not working.
View attachment 676877
Hi there Department of Redundancy Department!
Sorry for the inconvenience. I've checked the code and it shows that it is valid and should be working. But, you need to add 17 to your cart, not 12. Then you pay for 12, and get 5 free. Can you try again and let me know if you still have problems?

N
There is no duty on organic honey. You can choose to ship via UPS or if you choose the Canada Post option, they work directly (and seamlessly) with USPS, no duty or taxes will be charges. We ship to the USA all the time, without any border issues. Shipping costs for the pouches is relatively inexpensive, because the packaging is so light.

USPS is completely broken for package delivery in SE Michigan so that's not an option right now and I'd heard some horror stories about UPS Customs/Taxes/Brokerage fees for shipments crossing the border but I'll take another look if the price I see is the total price I'm going to have to pay!

Hi there Department of Redundancy Department!
Sorry for the inconvenience. I've checked the code and it shows that it is valid and should be working. But, you need to add 17 to your cart, not 12. Then you pay for 12, and get 5 free. Can you try again and let me know if you still have problems?
Ordered! Thank you for the offers and assistance.

USPS is completely broken for package delivery in SE Michigan so that's not an option right now and I'd heard some horror stories about UPS Customs/Taxes/Brokerage fees for shipments crossing the border but I'll take another look if the price I see is the total price I'm going to have to pay!

We've had very good luck shipping these buckets to Alaska, Florida, and many other states through UPS. There should not be any extra fees for crossing the border. We have a great rate for small package shipments through UPS and we don't mark up that rate at all. We box the pails to protect them during shipment, and that has worked really well too. I think you'll find that even when you factor in the shipping the cost will be less than $4.00 USD per pound.

We've had very good luck shipping these buckets to Alaska, Florida, and many other states through UPS. There should not be any extra fees for crossing the border. We have a great rate for small package shipments through UPS and we don't mark up that rate at all. We box the pails to protect them during shipment, and that has worked really well too. I think you'll find that even when you factor in the shipping the cost will be less than $4.00 USD per pound.

I'm calculating cost to be $6.18/pound (8 x 13.25 oz = 106 oz / 16 oz = 6.63 lbs) (CAD total cost with shipping to AZ $58.10 CAD. Then when converting to USD it is $40.95 USD) ($40.95 USD / 6.63 lbs = $6.18 USD cost per pound.

Honey Cost.PNG
Honey.PNG

I'm calculating cost to be $6.18/pound (8 x 13.25 oz = 106 oz / 16 oz = 6.63 lbs) (CAD total cost with shipping to AZ $58.10 CAD. Then when converting to USD it is $40.95 USD) ($40.95 USD / 6.63 lbs = $6.18 USD cost per pound.

Yes, the pouches are a little more expensive that the 66 pound pails per pound. The price per pound on the pouches (ZAM6+2) is 4.09 plus shipping. Sorry, I thought were your interested in the pails. With the (ZAM12+5) deal the price per pound works out to $3.85 per pound plus shipping.

Yes, to get that low one would need to buy 66 lbs. The less than $4.00 USD per pound caught my eye and that was when I considered making a purchase. Otherwise, for my location it comes to with shipping, $6.18 USD per pound for eight pouches and $5.23 per pound for 17 pouches.

So, were both the 13.25 oz pouches and the 66 lb pails mislabeled?

The price per pound on the 66 pound pail works out to
Yes, to get that low one would need to buy 66 lbs. The less than $4.00 USD per pound caught my eye and that was when I considered making a purchase. Otherwise, for my location it comes to with shipping, $6.18 USD per pound for eight pouches and $5.23 per pound for 17 pouches.

So, were both the 13.25 oz pouches and the 66 lb pails mislabeled?

Hi there, no only the pouches were mislabeled. The pouches are organic Zambian forest honey -- multifloral, dark honey. Its fabulous honey. The buckets currently on special are from an newer Tanzanian project we are working with. Their honey is wonderful, it's from the same type of forest, but harvested during the dry season, so it tends to have fewer sources of nectar. It is more like a mono-floral honey. We are offering a great price on this honey to start with because we'd like the brewing community to get to know us. The lighter Tanzanian honey is only available in 66 lb buckets for now.

I placed an order this morning. Been wanting to do a DIPA with honey, maybe that will be my weekly lockdown brew next weekend if it makes it in time.

I tried to order, but can't use the code. There's a code "MOMS4EVER" that keeps autopopulating and prevents me from using the ZAM6+2. It's quite a bit less than 2 free, and I can't remove it. Any suggestions?

I tried to order, but can't use the code. There's a code "MOMS4EVER" that keeps autopopulating and prevents me from using the ZAM6+2. It's quite a bit less than 2 free, and I can't remove it. Any suggestions?

Very sorry about that!!! That shouldn't have happened and it has been fixed. Please order away! Please leave a note in your order and we'll make sure you get a little something extra!

Just ordered the 12+5 and basically the discount paid for the shipping to CA. Looking forward to making some straight mead and maybe a honey beer or two. :mug:

That's great! Thank you! Of course we'd love to see photos of the mead when its ready, although we know it takes a while. Always open to seeing and hearing how people use our honey in beer making too! Thanks again!

gotta say, a $50 african honey impulse buy at 1am -- while sober -- was not on my radar. congratulations internet, you win again.

also, looking forward to this pile of honey. thank you!

Back