Old Schlitz ad circa 1920

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alane1

Reaction score
I'm remodeling my kitchen and found this in a newspaper under my floor boards. I can't wait to frame it.

beware the homebrew.jpg

enamelled tanks and filtered air for aging? I wonder if Schlitz still use these scientific techniques?

It's made scientifically, the first process that dates back two hundred-sixty years...heat...malt...let the science begin (maniacal laugh) hahahaha!!! It's alive!!!

That must be one of the last ads before the !@#$%^#@ took over with prohibition.

Beer: It is PURE, CLEAN and HEALTHFUL

I must let the wife know about this scientific research!

enamelled tanks and filtered air for aging? I wonder if Schlitz still use these scientific techniques?

Not only that, I'm curious if they still use "every invention known to science". That's a lot of stuff.

Great find.

Also, I guess this means you need to name at least one homebrew after this thing right?

Awesome! I love it!

Reminds me of the southern legislator whose anti-Homebrew rants were played on the Brewing Network. "What is M-E-A-D, anyway?" "They gonna make all those kids into winos!"

Schitz gave me a skull ache. Quit drinking Schitz after a few raging head aches. I figure the head aches came from the wood pulp they used for making paper for their ads and from the enameled chemical tanks.

Well, I guess that advert explains that nasty case of "biliousness" that I came down with last week.;)

What a hoot! You need to frame that ad as a warning to others!

It's right up there with all the newspaper adds for snake oil back then. And beef juices from the chemist that was supposed to make you feel more robust. But hey,when you're out of Schlitz,you're out of beer!...

It's right up there with all the newspaper adds for snake oil back then. And beef juices from the chemist that was supposed to make you feel more robust. But hey,when you're out of Schlitz,you're out of beer!...

It is the same thing as snake oil sales as far as advertising goes. Back the, though, there weren't petty things like false advertising laws.

They're the reason for the false advertising laws. Reminds me of the bedub adds making fun of homebrewing. asshats...:mad:

Hhhmmmmm....

Both of those bridges seem to be going to the same place: wonder where these bridges take you? :drunk:

I'm going over the bridge less traveled.

Is there any way you could take a good digital picture of the whole add? I'd love to print it out as well.

B

Boston Globe august 3rd 1920

Wait a minute, so Schlitz paid for an add to be put in the Boston Globe for an illegal product? Or is the add supposed to be for some near beer that was legal during prohibition trying to get people to buy that instead of brewing their own?

Wait a minute, so Schlitz paid for an add to be put in the Boston Globe for an illegal product? Or is the add supposed to be for some near beer that was legal during prohibition trying to get people to buy that instead of brewing their own?

I can't verify why it was there, I can only verify what I have. The only thing that I can think of is that there wasn't a legal restriction on advertisement, and since they didn't tank they still were in business. Really...I don't know.

166.jpg

Very cool find. Is anyone else shocked to learn that in 1920 it cost $104 to travel by train from Boston to San Fran?

I'll have to try to figure out what hat is in today's dollars.

EDIT

$1,209 in today's money according to one source. Same trip on Amtrak with a private cabin? $1,005.

But those Pullman cars were cool.

Back