Nottingham for stuck belgian dark strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MG1602

Reaction score
Have a Belgian that is stuck at 1.048 from 1.090. I have some Nottingham that is washed down and ready for a starter.
Since this is a clean yeast, would this allow me to still get away with only a Belgian strong? Starter or make a quick batch?

stuck for how long? What temperature is it at? Before pitching more yeast, see what you can do to rouse what's in there. Notty is pretty clean, but I would save that for bottling time if you think your yeasties are getting a bit tired.

What temp, what yeast? Can make a big difference in a Belgian.

1.090 with yeast 1388 fermented at 67. It has been 10 days, since the start. Started nicely, then krausen started to fall, so added 12 oz candy sugar with some yeast nutrient. Fermentation steadily declined, then the yeast caked. Too two gravity readings three days apart were at 1.048. I have roused with my oxygen wand and raised the temp to 78. Seeing some activity in the airlock, but am not holding my breath.

Let it sit for some more time. Raising the temp should help a little.

If nothing happens you may want to try this...

YEAST STRAIN: 3711 | French Saison

Back to Yeast Strain List

A very versatile strain that produces Saison or farmhouse style biers as well as other Belgian style beers that are highly aromatic (estery), peppery, spicy and citrusy. This strain enhances the use of spices and aroma hops, and is extremely attenuative but leaves an unexpected silky and rich mouthfeel. This strain can also be used to re-start stuck fermentations or in high gravity beers.

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 77-83%
Temperature Range: 65-77F 18-25C
Alcohol Tolerance: ABV 12%

Styles:
Belgian Blond Ale
Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Belgian Specialty Ale
Bière de Garde
Saison

I have never done it but have used 3711 a lot and it will chew through just about anything.

Do not judge your fermentation by the airlock... that's one of the things I learned early on.

Raise the temps up a bit (72 -74 isn't bad), give it a gentle swirl, and let it be. You're only 10 days into the fermentation! I left my dubbel in the fermenter for 6 weeks before it was finished enough to bottle. The Belgian strains do start strong, some of them have blown more than a couple of airlocks (before I started using blowoff tubes) - but after the krausen drops they're still working, just more slowly.

Did you pitch 1 pack or 2?

I didn't even take gravity readings until after 3 weeks because I knew that I was working with a high gravity wort and wasn't expecting miracles.

Step away from the fermenter, relax, have a homebrew (or a craft brew) and let the yeasties do their thing. If you're still not seeing any change at all after 3 week, then I would consider pitching another pack - but I don't think notty is the right choice. You want something with a high alcohol tolerance.

I didn't even take gravity readings until after 3 weeks because I knew that I was working with a high gravity wort and wasn't expecting miracles.

Step away from the fermenter, relax, have a homebrew (or a craft brew) and let the yeasties do their thing. If you're still not seeing any change at all after 3 week, then I would consider pitching another pack - but I don't think notty is the right choice. You want something with a high alcohol tolerance.

I pretty much do the same with my Belgians, except I plan on at least 4-5 weeks before I even check on them. I have one that has been in the fermenter now for 4 weeks and don't even plan on checking it until next week.

To give an update, I have increased the temp to about 75, and I am rousing every other day. The gravity is 1.028 now and it has been
18 days. It seems to be chugging along, so was thinking to transfer at a month and add a little amylase if it is not where I want it. I want at
least a 1.020, so this is my plan so far. It tastes like a Belgian, and it does taste nice!

Don't add the enzymes! First let it get up to 78* or higher, at this point you won't get off flavors, and let it do it's thing!

I'm fermenting a 1.072 dubbel with 3787 and started at 68* and after 2 days had it at 72*! Westvleteren says west 12 and 8 get up to 84* in the summer.

Don't rush your dubbel, and you don't have to rack it to a secondary. Really. It's going to be okay, just let the yeasties do their thing. With big beers, slow and steady wins the race.

Just leave it be. Save the Notty for bottling if you want, I bottled my dubbel with a pinch of Notty and it turned out great (but it really took 6 months before I liked the flavor profile, and it's fantastic after a year in the bottle).

When should I transfer to a secondary? I want to get it off my huge yeast cake!

Why?

Don't worry about autolysis, it's been pretty much shown to be a myth. As long as you've got a healthy yeast population, they aren't going to die off anytime soon. And, as long as the gravity is still dropping, I'd say you have a healthy, active population. Rack to secondary to get away from the yeast, you're just begging to get a stalled ferment.

Seriously, unless you start pushing well beyond three or four months, I wouldn't worry about moving to secondary. Even then, it's debatable (and it certainly has been debated!) whether it's necessary.

Back