New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my setup I would say no, the aroma in the fermentor did not translate to the finish beer. First time wlp030 was fermented at 20C then bumped to 21C to finish, second time started at 21C and bumped to 22C to finish. First was a brown ale and the second a porter, both low IBUs nice malty aroma and flavor but no fruit. I question my taste buds sometimes, but the porter was entered in a contest and no comments about esters.

20180120_113117_1516473699594_resized.jpg
Thanks Brau and everyone else who provided feedback on my last brew! I got rid of the hop spider. I did only the two additions, flameout/whirlpool, and one massive biotransformation addition.

4.5 gallon batch:

78% 2-row / Golden promise 50:50
8% Flaked oats
8% Flaked wheat
3.5% White wheat malt
2.5% Honey malt

.5 oz warrior at 60 min

50:50 citra mosaic:
4 oz flameout/whirlpool
4 oz added at about 1.022 (day 2 of fermentation)

All I can say is WOW! Even typing this I can smell the small glass I poured just sitting next to me. Flavor is bang on and orders of magnitude better than last time. I see no need to change anything beside minor tweaks and of course trying new combinations.

1318 is hilarious. It's the only yeast that has overflowed my 5L flask on the stirplate.

My only gripes with this brew are:

-A little bit too much perceived bitterness. Think there's anything wrong with completely eliminating the bittering addition?

-I'd like a touch more mouthfeel/body, though it is pretty close. I think I was at 130/130 sulfate:chloride and I mashed at 153. Maybe up the chloride? Mash at a higher temp? Add some carapils?

Thanks again guys. This is a massive success.

View attachment 554524 Thanks Brau and everyone else who provided feedback on my last brew! I got rid of the hop spider. I did only the two additions, flameout/whirlpool, and one massive biotransformation addition.

-A little bit too much perceived bitterness. Think there's anything wrong with completely eliminating the bittering addition?

-I'd like a touch more mouthfeel/body, though it is pretty close. I think I was at 130/130 sulfate:chloride and I mashed at 153. Maybe up the chloride? Mash at a higher temp? Add some carapils?

Thanks again guys. This is a massive success.

You don't need to add any bittering hops. However, it seems that head retention can suffer some if you have no hops in the kettle during the boil. That seemed to be true for me. Also, if you chill down the wort before adding the hopstand hops, you will reduce the bitterness perception some most likely.

Honestly, the best solution to increase body or perception of body and fullness is to boost the OG up using malt, not sugar, in my experience, OR use a less attenuative yeast. If you want to try to keep the alcohol down some, mash higher. I've gone up to 165F, but you can try 160 if you are nervous about 165. Try less carbonation too for increasing mouthfeel perception. Another thing you could try is dropping the sulfate out completely and just adding chloride. Sulfate makes beers taste thinner IMHO.

Wanted to share my latest NE IPA experiment. This time I changed the grain bill a little and tried different hops. The biggest change I wanted to note was the addition of Lorann Oil Peach Mango extract to the kegged beer. I am very happy with the results. I brewed the beer as normal and added a 1/2 dram container to the keg of 2.5 gallons. I left the other 2.5 gallons without the extract. The result was a juicy NE IPA but with some extra Peach and Mango on the nose and on the finish. The result was very good and not at all "candy" or "extract/artificial" tasting. I highly recommend giving it a try, I may try fruit punch next. I actually preferred the version with the peach mango over the version without. Everyone else that tasted picked the flavored version as well in a blind side by side taste test.

For those wondering more about the extract:

Most of the flavors aren't actually "oils" as they say and are water soluble. The ones that are water soluble say so on the Lorann oil website. Also it hasn't affected head retention or anything at all.

Recipe:

85.1% Pale 2-Row
6.1% flaked oats
6.1% flakes wheat
1.9% honey Malt

1:1:1 Citra/Mosaic/El Dorado in the following additions:

@0 then chilled to 160F
Whirlpool addition at 160F
Dry Hop on day 3 of fermentation
Dry hop on day 7 of fermentation

Wyeast 1318 - Fermentation at 64-66F for 13 days

IMG_3293.jpg

IMG_3291.jpg

IMG_3292.jpg

Last edited:
Really? For a 5% beer im at 3g/L for WP and 6g/L for DH. If it was 6 or 7% Id be going for more, much more.

I will brew this and see if the final beer needs some more in the range your suggesting.
The urge to add more overcame me.

I went with 56g each of Citra and Galaxy into the FV after 48hrs of ferment. Left those to "biotransformate" for 4 days which was a joy to watch those hops stay in suspension ( gave the FV a shake every 1/2 day )

Just transferred to Dry hop keg with another 28g each of Citra and Galaxy which makes the total g/L post boil = 11.8 [emoji41]

That should be plent right?

I’m sorry to ask this question again but this thread is so long and trying to search on it can be difficult too I figured I would ask.

How long do you all usually keep the first dry hops in the fermenter for? Till it’s kegged or bottled? Remove them when you add the second dry hops? After X number of days? I added my first dry hops almost 3 days ago on day two.

Thanks and cheers!

I’m sorry to ask this question again but this thread is so long and trying to search on it can be difficult too I figured I would ask.

How long do you all usually keep the first dry hops in the fermenter for? Till it’s kegged or bottled? Remove them when you add the second dry hops? After X number of days? I added my first dry hops almost 3 days ago on day two.

Thanks and cheers!
Look at post #1418. ALL dry hops added on day 2-3 and not removed from fermenter.

Well it needs more of everything; mouthfeel, alcohol, flavor and aroma. Mosaic, Citra and galaxy combo. The aroma is straight up orange juice tho! But clearly the best NEIPA I've EVER made. Thanks a ton to all!View attachment 554710
Is that a frosted glass? If so, that may be part of your issue. You should only serve beer in a frosted glass if you don't want to smell or taste it.

Whew! At least it's not the N! Because you know the N stands for Nowledge! Thanks..[emoji482]

What's the most hops anyone put in a 5gal fermenter (during fermentation) without any issues? This was 4oz on about a 3.75gal batch.

Last edited:
For those of you who have used wlp095, have you had success right out of the package or do you harvest from something lighter?
I have had a couple packs (which were delayed in the summer mail) fail to work but other than that it was fine. I have always built a starter with it though and I can say mine has never shown vigorous activity (krausen) during the buildup and always takes about 18 hrs to show activity after pitching. A little more info than you requested.

I have had a couple packs (which were delayed in the summer mail) fail to work but other than that it was fine. I have always built a starter with it though and I can say mine has never shown vigorous activity (krausen) during the buildup and always takes about 18 hrs to show activity after pitching. A little more info than you requested.

Not at all tmi. Thank you both. I always make starters so hopefully I'll catch any bad yeast early.

I've made braufessors recipe with gigayeast vermont ale and did the whole blonde ale harvest. It was great, but I'd love to skip the blonde but was afraid of wasting a batch with so many hops.

Thanks and cheers!
Lots of different methods, but my preferred method at this point is to add all dry hops (loose), in one addition at day 2-3, and they stay in fermenter until I keg on day 12 or so.

Not at all tmi. Thank you both. I always make starters so hopefully I'll catch any bad yeast early.

I've made braufessors recipe with gigayeast vermont ale and did the whole blonde ale harvest. It was great, but I'd love to skip the blonde but was afraid of wasting a batch with so many hops.
I was actually surprised how much I liked the Blonde Ale and I really liked the idea of harvesting the yeast. Also I am going to brew the Blonde again tomorrow but will try a different hops, probably CTZ.

I was actually surprised how much I liked the Blonde Ale ......

I found the same. Probably go through more blonde ale than any other beer besides my IPA. At first it was just to grow yeast and please the BMC crowd. But, I find myself drinking it quite a bit when I have it, or blending it half and half to cut ABV of some other IPA or other beer when I want to drink several without the buzz. My wife usually goes with 50/50 Blonde/IPA. My frequent visitors are usually bummed if I don't have it on tap.

Has anybody tried this style of beer with a Hef yeast?
I would worry about true hefe yeast with banana/clove...... American Wheat beer yeast maybe?

I tried Kolsch yeast and it was ok..... but, definitely not as good as 1318/conan/1272.

Denny's 1450 seems like it would be a decent yeast for this, although I have not used it.

Last edited:
I found the same. Probably go through more blonde ale than any other beer besides my IPA. At first it was just to grow yeast and please the BMC crowd. But, I find myself drinking it quite a bit when I have it, or blending it half and half to cut ABV of some other IPA or other beer when I want to drink several without the buzz. My wife usually goes with 50/50 Blonde/IPA. My frequent visitors are usually bummed if I don't have it on tap.

Is the recipe for this blonde ale posted somewhere?

Here's a pic of my brew of this beer, made with equal parts Citra, Mosaic, and Galaxy for all hop additions (150 ppm Chloride, 74ppm Sulfate, Fermented with 1318.) I've named this one Baby PJs, and I have to say, this is one of the best beers that I've brewed in terms of hitting my target flavor, despite the fact that I missed my OG by about 7 points (it was too cold to keep a rolling boil and my boil-off fell a little short.) I think this could stand up to many commercial NEIPAs.

Next time, I might try to give it a little more body (this was 15% flaked wheat/oats), mash a little higher, and blend in some darker malt for a little more color instead of straight 2-Row. Of course, I'll also play with different hops, but the C/M/G combo is awesome!

View media item 68769

Is the recipe for this blonde ale posted somewhere?
Ha.... somewhere.....

I actually just brewed it yesterday

1.040-1.045 OG

82% Base (all 2 row, or 50/50 with G. Promise, or whatever)
10% Wheat (or just go 92% on base if not using wheat)
5% Flaked Barley
3% Caramel 20, or Honey Malt

1 ounce Liberty Hops at 30 minutes
1 ounce Liberty Hops at 5 minutes

Water - basically 50/50/50 at Calcium/Chloride/Sulfate
I put 3 grams of gypsum and 3 grams of CaCl in mash, nothing in sparge
I use 2.5 ml Lactic Acid in Mash, 1 ml in sparge
100% RO Water

I use this recipe for any yeast I want more of..... Personally, I think the Blonde Ale itself tastes best with 1056 or 1272. Conan, 1318 and 1968 work great in it too.

I would worry about true hef yeast with banana/clove...... American Wheat beer yeast maybe?

I tried Kolsch yeast and it was ok..... but, definitely not as good as 1318/conan/1272.

Well WLP320 American Hefeweizen is a relative of the kolsch yeasts - as is its very close relative WLP800 Pilsner.

If you look over at the Treehouse thread, they're using a blend in the region of 82/15/3 of S-04/T-58/WB-06 when trying to replicate Julius - a little bit of Belgiany phenols and esters is a good thing, but you don't want too much of it.

Sorry if this has been beat to death but is this amazing recipe in Beersmith? If so, how to I find it? Thank you...

Okay…… This is just kind of an “update post”. The original recipe is great as is… but, here are some slightly different things I have started to do, minor changes, observations, etc. After a certain amount of time, you cannot edit a post – so I can’t really get in to make changes to the OP. I do think I can get this post linked into the OP though. Some of what follows is basically the same as the OP…. Some is different and updated. I will put the updated parts in bold italics

**I brew 6.5 gallons of finished beer (post boil)..... this allows me to leave some hop/trub behind in boil kettle and fermenter and get 5 gallons eventually into serving keg. If you finish with 5 gallons post boil, you might want to adjust hops down a bit.
6.5 gallons post boil
5.75 gallons into fermenter
5 gallons into keg

GRAIN BILL:
1.060 OG…. I think this makes a perfect compromise between getting into DIPA range (having beers that are just too high in abv. for my preference) and going too far toward 1.050 where the beer may become too much of a “session” IPA for some peoples preferences.

% and the actual amt. I use for 6.5 gallons @ 84% mash efficiency (your efficiency may vary – so use the percentages)

40% Rahr 2 Row (5.5 lbs)
40% Golden Promise (or similar…Maris Otter) (5.5 lbs)
8% Flaked Oats (1 lb)
4% Flaked Barley 1/2 lb)
4% Weyerman Wheat (1/2 lb)
2% Flaked Wheat (1/4 lb)
2% Honey Malt (1/4 lb)

60 minute mash @152-154)

*Note on grain…. Using all 2 Row for Base is probably fine. Using any combination of flaked Oats/Wheat/Barley to get into the 15-20% range is proably fine too. I do like the addition of Honey Malt and recommend keeping it.

HOPS:
**60 Min. = .75 oz Warrior
**Flame Out = 1oz. each of Citra/Galaxy/Mosaic
**Chill to 160 or below and add 1oz. each of Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy. Stop chiller and allow hops to sit for 30 minute or so. Stir up/whirlpool wort every 5 minutes or so.
Chill to 62-64 and let hops settle out as much as possible. Transfer wort to fermenter. I tend to leave behind .75 gallons of trub and hops (this is why I brew 6.5 gallon batch).

**Dry Hop #1- At day 4-6 (basically when there are a few gravity points left and beer is still fermenting). Add the following to primary fermenter:
1.5 oz. Citra
1 oz. Mosaic
.5 oz. Galaxy

**Dry Hop #2 - Around day 12, transfer to CO2 purged dry hopping keg with
1.5 oz. Citra
1 oz. Mosaic
.5 oz. Galaxy
(I use this strategy: http://www.bear-flavored.com/2014/09...no-oxygen.html )

Day 14 - Jump from Dry hop keg to serving keg. Force carbonate to moderate/moderate-low. For carbonation, I usually hook it up at 25 psi for 2 days and then back it off to 10-12 psi - generally seems to carb up best after a few days, but fine to drink after 2-3 days.

Many folks who don't keg, or don't have a dry hopping keg ask about adding all the hops to primary, or adding all the hops in a single dry hop..... that isn't what I do, but you have to make things fit your system and your process. Others do it with fine success. There is no reason it should not work to do that if it fits your system better

WATER PROFILE:
There are multiple directions to go here. Currently, I am partial to the following water addtions - 100% RO water. I add per gallon of mash and sparge water -
Gypsum = .9 grams/gallon
CaCl = .4 grams/gallon
Epsom = .1 gram/gallon
Canning Salt = .05 grams/gallon

Lactic Acid = I add about .5ml- 1ml (total) of lactic acid to the mash and the sparge. And may adjust a bit more…. Aiming for about 5.35-5.45 mash pH and Preboil kettle pH.

Using B'run Water

Ca = 100
Mg = 5
Na = 13
Sulfate = 147
Chloride = 80
Bicarbonate = 16

Mash pH = 5.37-5.42
Final runnings pH = 5.60
Pre-boil Kettle pH = 5.40-5.45
Post Boil pH = 5.3-5.35

**Water strategies to test out for yourself to see what you like best;
2:1 Sulfate:Chloride in the 150:75 range
1:1 Sulfate:Chloride in the 120-150 range
1:2 Sulfate:Chloride in the 75:150 range
All will produce a good beer… but you may find something you personally prefer.
I did go 200 sulfate:50 Cl…… it was fine…. But, it was not what I was looking for. It definitely “dried” the beer out a bit. I think it definitely moved this beer away from what most of us are shooting for in a “Ne IPA.”

Water Profile - the simple solution:
***Many people ask about a more general guide to water because they do not know what their own water profile is, or they have not made the jump to using a water profile software. I use B'run water, and the above profile. However, if you just want to get in the ballpark of something "similar" to start with..... The simplest solution is this:
100% RO water for both mash and sparge.
Per 5 gallons of mash water: 1 tsp of CaCl + 1/2 tsp Gypsum
Per 5 gallons of sparge water: 1 tsp of CaCl + 1/2 tsp Gypsum

This should bring you in around 140 Chloride and 80 Sulfate.

Or….. to try other versions….
*The opposite: 1tsp of gypsum and ½ tsp of CaCl per 5 gallon
*Equal ratios: ¾ - 1 tsp of each per 5 gallon.

This does not take into account trying to get Na or Mg numbers. It ignores bicarbonate and as it is 100% RO, it should bring your mash pH in around 5.41 without any acid addition.

ROUGH estimate of grams to tsp of minerals:
1/4 tsp Gypsum = .9 grams
1/4 tsp CaCl = 1.1 grams
1/4 tsp Epsom Salt = 1.3 grams
1/4 tsp Canning Salt = 1.8 grams

FERMENTATION
Yeast - Conan(vermont IPA), 1318 is also a yeast many choose to use in beers like this. *** I have also found that 1272 works great. I am starting to think that there are many yeasts that would likely do just fine in beers like this. 1056, 1450, 007…. I would not be afraid to try other yeasts.
I tend to start fermentation off around 62-64 at let it free rise to 66-68 degrees through the first 3 days or so of fermentation. At that point, I like to move it somewhere that it can finish off in the 68-70-72 range.

OTHER THOUGHTS/NOTES:

I keep almost everything the same in brewing IPA's to this style. However, I do mix up the hops. I always bitter with warrior (Columbus on occasion), and always use 4 sets of 3 ounce additions at Flameout, Whirlpool, Dry Hop #1, Dry Hop #2....... but, not always the same hops. I sometimes do 100% Citra. I sometimes do equal parts of Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy for all 4 additions (Grapefruit!!!!), I some times do equal parts (1.5 ounces) citra/mosaic at all 4 additions... But always the same basic amount, in the same basic schedule.
I think single hop versions of Mosaic or Galaxy would potentially be quite good. I have done 2:1 Citra:Columbus that was good. I like Simcoe/Amarillo/Centennial (but I keep centennial out of the dry hop as I find it “drying”). I have used Citra/Azacca – which was good (although Azacca can get lost as it is not as “strong” as some of the others). Personally, I think dank hops like Columbus, Eureka, etc. can get out of hand in beers like this and come off as harsh and grassy….. so, I tend to really limit them to smaller amounts. Lots of combos will work….. but, at the end of the day I still find it very hard to beat Citra:Mosaic:Galaxy combos.

Sorry if this has been beat to death but is this amazing recipe in Beersmith? If so, how to I find it? Thank you...
I have not put it there..... maybe someone else has. I do have beer smith - just have not really used it much, but maybe I will get it in there at some point. Working on a new "update" post with more streamlined processes, etc. that I have been using.

I have not put it there..... maybe someone else has. I do have beer smith - just have not really used it much, but maybe I will get it in there at some point. Working on a new "update" post with more streamlined processes, etc. that I have been using.

VERY COOL, cannot wait to see the update. FYI I have been referred to your post here through MANY forms of brewing social media forums, you are kind of a legend, nicely done and thank you for all your posts!

@Braufessor I saw you have a citra pilsner kegged/serving in your sig. I was looking for a recipe in a similar style. In fact, this NEIPA recipe is what made me think of trying to combine it into a lighter cleaner Pilsner. How'd your citra Pilsner turn out? Have a recipe handy?

@Braufessor I saw you have a citra pilsner kegged/serving in your sig. I was looking for a recipe in a similar style. In fact, this NEIPA recipe is what made me think of trying to combine it into a lighter cleaner Pilsner. How'd your citra Pilsner turn out? Have a recipe handy?
Hmmmm.... I have been lazy about updating my signature. That beer was a mistake - I was brewing multiple beers and put the wrong hops in my pilsner - but it was great. Reminds me I need to brew it again. I will have to dig around and find that one..... I will try to get back to you. I am posting a new recipe right now that you might like.... essentially kind of a super session (3.9%) version of this in wheat beer form.... might be something worth looking at too. Hope to have it posted shortly.

I would worry about true her yeast with banana/clove...... American Wheat beer yeast maybe?

Denny's 1450 seems like it would be a decent yeast for this, although I have not used it.

Yeah the banana flavor from hef yeast is what intrigues me about using it with this beer. Curious how it would work with tropical/citrus hop flavors. Thanks for the response!

VERY COOL, cannot wait to see the update. FYI I have been referred to your post here through MANY forms of brewing social media forums, you are kind of a legend, nicely done and thank you for all your posts!
Ha.... I don't know about that.... but, there is lots of great info in this thread and many regular contributors that have great ideas and strategies. I think a lot of us have kind of arrived at a "foolproof" starting point for a good NE IPA for sure.

I have always just started it at 65 or so and let it free rise to 68 over 3-4 days and then free rise to 70-72 for the duration.

I used to start at 65 however after a few conversations and advice from some pro's I've been starting at 68 and rising to 72 at the very end of fermentation. Probably see no difference in these though.

That looks interesting.... Do they do bottles or cans of it at all?
Do you know much about it in regard to recipe, ingredients, hops, etc...

25 IBU/5.2% ABV
“A brightly quenching, floral & juicy dry-hopped sour blond ale; kettle soured with our house Lactobacillus, then hopped & dry-hopped Citra and Azacca.”

It’s on tap only unfortunately.
What would be VERY interesting is to see if biotransformation is possible with non traditional strains.

I will PM you separately since this is off-topic (sours in a NEIPA thread!!!)

25 IBU/5.2% ABV
“A brightly quenching, floral & juicy dry-hopped sour blond ale; kettle soured with our house Lactobacillus, then hopped & dry-hopped Citra and Azacca.”

It’s on tap only unfortunately.
What would be VERY interesting is to see if biotransformation is possible with non traditional strains.

I will PM you separately since this is off-topic (sours in a NEIPA thread!!!)

Interesting.... I just did a kettle sour berliner and then put it on mango and passion fruit - it looks just like that picture you posted. Might have to try something along those lines.....

Back