New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ahh..that makes a lot more sense. I have made it without the flaked barley as well when my local coop was out in the bulk section. I just upped the flaked oats and wheat to compensate. I never buy flaked grains from homebrew store as I can almost always get flaked oats, wheat, barley from the bulk section at the natural foods store. If you have one closer that might make your life easier in the future.

Made this recipe a number of times and often vary the composition of the flaked grain bill depending what I have available. Not sure it makes a huge difference.

try it with 2-row and honey malt only. you probably wont tell a difference

I don't do closed transfers with this beer....... I have found it to a be a monumental PITA because of clogging issues.....
Some things you can do if you want to do closed transfer....
1.) Make sure you get the fermenter up on the counter you are using and set in place a couple days before transfer to let things settle out. (Actually - do this no matter how you transfer)
2.) Keep siphon away from the bottom
3.) Maybe cold crash
4.) Some people use a filter
5.) Take the poppets out of the keg posts and take the "guts" out of the black disconnect going on the post

Personally, I just fill the keg with star san, push it all out with CO2. Get everything in place. Release the pressure from the keg, pop the lid, run the tubing from spigot on my fermenter (racking cane for you) and make sure it is long enough to go to the bottom of the keg. Transfer via gravity. I set the lid back on during transfer to minimize the opening. Once the keg gets about half full or 2/3 full, I turn the CO2 on to the keg at a low 2-3 psi to minimize O2 as much as I can. Fill to just below the the CO2 tube. Stop transfer, pull out tubing, Put lid on, open pressure release and let CO2 run through the small head space for 30-60 seconds at low pressure to purge any 02. Then close pressure release and crank up CO2 to 20psi to seal the lid.

** Also, find ways to minimize hop material that is getting moved from one stage to the other - that is a big help. That is why I brew 6.5 gallons and leave wort/beer behind at various stages.

This is what I do and it works perfectly fine. Doing it several times and getting the process you use down is honestly about 80% of the battle. Once you get a process in place and use it, you become very efficient at it.

Thanks Brau. I will probably do as you do on this beer in the future.

Just add my closed transfer process...

I do cold crash. I give it a slow drop down to around 50F over 24 hours (I have a Brewpi so I can program in a slow ramp down). That's enough to drop most of the stuff out. I then move it to my work bench an hour or so before transfer. When transfer time comes, I keep the siphon in the middle of the beer to keep it up off the trub and slowly slide it down a few inches at a time. I also make sure to have one or two extra liquid QDs on hand just in case I get a clog. This generally works well for me, but the first few clogs were pretty frustrating for sure!

try it with 2-row and honey malt only. you probably wont tell a difference

This. And you can also find flaked grains extremely cheap at the bulk food stores.

For my third attempt (having not even tasted my second yet) I'm probably going to do that:

78% 2-row
15-16% flaked something
2-3% honey malt

Sorry if this was covered already, but there are 143 pages to this thread...haha

What are you guy's force carbonation process for this? And to what vol. CO2 are you carbing to?

Just put this recipe together this morning. Should turn out OK......I think

American - Pale 2-Row - 70.9%
American - White Wheat - 9.9%
Flaked Oats - 9.9%
American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) - 4.3%
Corn Sugar - Dextrose - 5%

0.3 oz - Columbus - 60 min
0.75 oz - Columbus - 5 min
2.5 oz - Citra - Hopback at 175 °F
2.5 oz - Mosaic - Hopback at 175 °F
8 oz - Galaxy - Dry Hop - 3 days

Mash at 152

Imperial A38 Juice Yeast (ferment at 67F and climb to 72F)

i’d like to see that test. keep in mind that the english malts are 25kg/55lbs and the yield can be slightly higher than domestics

I'm going to do this on the Monday holiday--Maris Otter for the base malt.

BUT--there's more.

I'm going to add several lupulin powder products to see what happens.
And I have moved way into Idaho #7 as a favorite for the style.
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine 3.1 %
8.0 oz Honey Malt 3.1 %
4.0 oz Acid Malt 1.5 %

First Wort
0.25 oz Summit [17.00 %] - 60.0 min

Steep/Whirlpool
2.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %]
1.00 oz LD Carlson Idaho 7 Hop Hash [31.40 %]
1.00 oz YCH LupuLN2 Mosaic Lupulin Powder [24.10 %]

London Ale III (Wyeast Labs #1318)

High Krausen Hop Addition
1.00 oz YCH LupuLN2 Mosaic Lupulin Powder [24.10 %]

Dry Hop (Keg) Additions

2.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369)
2.00 oz Galaxy
1.00 oz LD Carlson Idaho 7 Hop Hash [31.40 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days

Was planning on kegging tomorrow, Day 14, but something came up. Any issues if I let this sit in primary til Day 16-17? It's in a glass carboy, dry hopped on Day 3, airlocked (duh), and in a 70 deg temp controlled keezer.

Just put this recipe together this morning. Should turn out OK......I think

American - Pale 2-Row - 70.9%
American - White Wheat - 9.9%
Flaked Oats - 9.9%
American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) - 4.3%
Corn Sugar - Dextrose - 5%

0.3 oz - Columbus - 60 min
0.75 oz - Columbus - 5 min
2.5 oz - Citra - Hopback at 175 °F
2.5 oz - Mosaic - Hopback at 175 °F
8 oz - Galaxy - Dry Hop - 3 days

Mash at 152

Imperial A38 Juice Yeast (ferment at 67F and climb to 72F)

Curious about the use of Dextrose...does a38 not attenuate very well?

Curious about the use of Dextrose...does a38 not attenuate very well?

I've utilized Dextrose is a variety of NEIPA's in the past with good results. I may use i or I may just bump the 2-row a bit.

Avg attenuation with A38 is listed at 74%

I brewed my first NEIPA a couple weeks ago. It was a NB Beerie Smalls kit. I don't normally do kits but i wanted a decent representation of the style as my baseline and I was rushing to fit it on a specific brew day. I did not have time to research water profile for this style and just used my typical pale ale profile of 2:1 sulfate:cloride 110:55 and later found it should be the other way around or even higher chloride to sulfate 3 or 4:1. Has anyone else done this and what should i expect?

I added 1st dry hops at 3 days and let it climb to 72 to finish. On day 7 i transfer to secondary and took gravity reading and i finished 1.008. 1318 84% attenuation with a mash at 151F. I tried the gravity reading at day 7 and did not taste that good. It was at 72F and seemed to taste like there was a lot of yeast in suspension. Anyway i proceeded with transfer to secondary for 2nd dry hop addition for 4 days and took it out of fermentation fridge to raise another beer while this was in secondary and let it drop to basement temp of 64F. It is now crash cooling and cant wait to keg and try it and hopefully it turned out good.

My question is when you guys dry hop later additions do you do it at 60-70F or at or during crash cooling? Also how many days to crash cool to let this strain drop so haze is not yeast related.

I don't ever cold crash. It cools in the keg during carbonation and if anything, first 1/2 pint goes down the drain.

My stuff just gets lost I guess...

Sorry if this was covered already, but there are 143 pages to this thread...haha

What are you guy's force carbonation process for this? And to what vol. CO2 are you carbing to?

I do 14psi at around 35/36F. Not sure what volume that works out to, but it has a decent amount of carbonation. I don't really like these beers on the low side of carb. I do the set-and-forget method since I find these beers typically improve after a few weeks, at least to me.

Im awaiting this as well. These beers, in my opinion tend to be carved a little differently and I would certainly like to start fine tuning this attribute instead of the set-it and forget it.

I do 14psi at around 35/36F. Not sure what volume that works out to, but it has a decent amount of carbonation. I don't really like these beers on the low side of carb. I do the set-and-forget method since I find these beers typically improve after a few weeks, at least to me.
I do 25 psi for 48 hrs then dial down to 10 for serving. I keep temp at 42f... it is carbed on low side, 2.4 volumes according to calculators.

Has anyone use Vic Secret hops in this style beer? If so how did you use them and how did it turn out?

Has anyone use Vic Secret hops in this style beer? If so how did you use them and how did it turn out?

I used it in the dryhop of a beer based on Sloop Juice Bomb. I had 5.5-6 gals and dry hopped with 1 oz Eureka!, 1 oz Denali, 3 oz Citra and 3 oz Vic Secret. The Vic Secret added to the general fruit potpourri. It also had some very nice dankness, but that was from the Eureka! most likely. I'd definitely use it along with other hops again.

I made one over the summer with Vic Secret/Galaxy/Ella. Hopping schedule:

1oz each @ FO
1oz each @ 170F
1oz each @ 2 days into fermentation
1oz each @ keg

I liked it a lot, but missed the mosaic. If I did it again I'd swap out the Ella for mosaic.

I always leave my hops in the keg until it kicks, so you'll be fine.

I decided to transfer to a second keg, not because I didn't agree with you, but because I've never used the closed-keg transfer method and I just wanted to try it for fun. This is home brewing, after all!

Makin a NEIPA recipe from Kals design on electric brewery, its in metric
1515877078463.jpeg

Right now I’m planning on using 2oz of each Citra, Amarillo & Belma for FO, first DH & second DH. I’m debating on scaling it back to 1oz of each and add either Mosaic or Simcoe to the mix. So it would be four different hops instead of three.

What are some people’s thoughts on this? I know it’s all personal preference but I do see some great NE IPAs from breweries that use four different hops and some use three. I’m torn. The tough decisions for a home brewer. Haha

Really? For a 5% beer im at 3g/L for WP and 6g/L for DH. If it was 6 or 7% Id be going for more, much more.

I will brew this and see if the final beer needs some more in the range your suggesting.

Really? For a 5% beer im at 3g/L for WP and 6g/L for DH. If it was 6 or 7% Id be going for more, much more.

I will brew this and see if the final beer needs some more in the range your suggesting.

This is home brewing, make it how you want. My last has 8.4 g/L whirlpool and 9.8 g/L dry hop in a 6% beer, OG 1.059, FG 1.014. Turned out wonderful. Cheers

<off topic>
Yep, pretty much follow the CSI recipe, decoct the mash twice, add in the D-180 3 times, and age for a long time. Hardest part is aging it that long AND not drinking it all as fast as you can. Great recipe, fantastic beer! Waiting for it to get out of the 20's to brew, because I cannot get my decoction temps right when it is this cold!
</off topic>

Instead of upping the grain bill, I usually just add corn sugar to increase ABV. This way it doesn't affect the malt flavor in respect to the hops. Cheers!
Brewed CSI's version last weekend and just transferred to secondary today. Everything went perfectly with numbers hitting the magic 1.012. Smell is incredible and hydro samples taste great too. Going to be real tough not touching this. Won't bottle for another 2 months. Going to Belgium in 3 weeks for the Bruges beer festival so will be bringing the real one back with me. Had the last of my supply last night. Will have to brew lots more of Braufessor,s amazing recipe. Second batch is half gone now. Think if I had to choose I think I'd prefer the Citra, Mosaic and Galaxy hop combinations.

I have brewed quite a few NEIPA's, but this is the first time I've done this recipe. I pretty much followed Braufessor's recipe exactly, except I came up short on my target gravity at 1.050 (still working on efficiency issues). I also substituted Warrior for Columbus.

I did the dry hop of Mosaic/Citra/Galaxy all on the 2nd day. I bottled at day 10. FG was 1.012. I cracked one open 4 days after bottling (14 days grain to glass) and it was fantastic. Probably my best NEIPA to date. Thanks for the recipe!

20180114_181610.jpg

Last edited:
I brewed up a batch on 12/26. Added all DH on day three of fermentation and kegged on day 12.
I hit with CO2 at 30 PSI for 30 hrs, purged and reduced to 12 PSI.

It's ready but the issue I am having is I find it has a oniony taste. Used the same hops as in post 1418. I honestly don't brew a lot with Citra as I think I'm one of the few who feels it's too potent. Could the Citra be imparting this flavor? Or could it be something else?

This is the first time brewing this style in over a year. I stick mainly to APA's, blondes and a recent Saison. With the APA's I haven't noticed any oniony flavors.

Just curious what you guys think.

I wanted to add that I had my wife sample it and she commented about it be oniony. Funny thing is we both tried a NEIPA from a local brewery and my wife made the same comment. I don't remember the hops he used but I do recall that Citra and I think EL DOrado were included.

I brewed up a batch on 12/26. Added all DH on day three of fermentation and kegged on day 12.

It's ready but the issue I am having is I find it has a oniony taste. Used the same hops as in post 1418. I honestly don't brew a lot with Citra as I think I'm one of the few who feels it's too potent. Could the Citra be imparting this flavor? Or could it be something else?

This is the first time brewing this style in over a year. I stick mainly to APA's, blondes and a recent Saison. With the APA's I haven't noticed any oniony flavors.

I wanted to add that I had my wife sample it and she commented about it be oniony. Funny thing is we both tried a NEIPA from a local brewery and my wife made the same comment. I don't remember the hops he used but I do recall that Citra and I think EL DOrado were included.
Could the age of your hops been the issue?
I have never noticed any onion flavors in this recipe although I have never noticed oniony flavors in any beers I have brewed.

My homegrown Columbus have a bit of onion smell and flavor, was thinking I was doing something wrong, but I seen a video where they made a comment about fresh hops with a high alpha can come across as oniony.

The only hop that has an onion aroma/taste to me is Summit. I have totally stoped using it for that reason.

It's ready but the issue I am having is I find it has a oniony taste. Used the same hops as in post 1418. I honestly don't brew a lot with Citra as I think I'm one of the few who feels it's too potent. Could the Citra be imparting this flavor?

In the early days of Citra it was not unusual to get oniony batches, it seemed to be something to do with when they were harvested - then as the farms got more experience they worked out when to harvest them and it became less of a problem. Sounds like you've got a batch that were harvested at the wrong time. Where did they come from and what vintage are they?

CTZ is another one that can get oniony, although Summit is the classic one for that.

Back