New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one had a tad crystal60 in it to try to get the orange color but alas it’s mostly light yellow :(

Malt bill was
85% pale
8.5% white wheat
4.2% carapils
2.7% crystal 60
B1E47580-1A8A-406B-B0A0-1D3DDE4C5D5D.jpeg
E85FD8F9-12BD-4C76-9032-FA544BA9D85C.jpeg

This one had a tad crystal60 in it to try to get the orange color but alas it’s mostly light yellow :(

Malt bill was
85% pale
8.5% white wheat
4.2% carapils
2.7% crystal 60View attachment 592980View attachment 592981

I don’t know what I’m more envious of, that delicious looking beer or your scenery! It’s 35 degrees and raining over here in fly over country (Oklahoma)

Figured it was about time for another “update” post. Not that there are a lot of differences, but, there are some recurring questions and I have streamlined a few things. It is probably just as easy to update the original post with a link to what I have settled on over the last year as opposed to some of the same questions coming up on a regular basis.

**I brew 6.5 gallons of finished beer (post boil)..... this allows me to leave some hop/trub behind in boil kettle and fermenter and get 5 gallons eventually into serving keg. If you finish with 5 gallons post boil, you might want to adjust hops down a bit.
6.5 gallons post boil
5.75 gallons into fermenter
5 gallons into keg

GRAIN BILL:
I have settled in around 1.060 OG. I think this makes a perfect compromise between getting into DIPA range (having beers that are just too high in abv. for my preference) and going too far toward 1.050 where the beer may become too much of a session IPA for some peoples preferences.

*If you want a bigger IPA, I would just keep the ratios of grain and increase the amounts to hit a higher OG. I would leave the hops the same the first time as far as amounts, and then adjust if you feel you want more bitterness, dry hop etc. on subsequent batches.

Approximate percent of grain bill and the actual amt. I use for 6.5 gallons @ 84% mash efficiency (your efficiency may vary so use the percentages)

37.5% Rahr 2 Row (5 lbs)
37.5% Golden Promise (or similar like Pearl, Maris Otter) (5 lbs)
7.5% Flaked Oats (1 lb)
7.5% Flaked Barley 1 lb)
7.5 % Weyerman Wheat (1 lb)
2.5% Honey Malt (1/4 lb)

60 minute mash @152-155)

*Note on grain. Using all 2 Row for Base is probably fine. Using any combination of flaked Oats/Wheat/Barley to get into the 20% range is probably fine too. In fact, based on others input, and based on my own experience – I think you could do all kinds of things with the grain bill and be fine, including dropping a bunch of the flaked, using whatever you want for base malt etc. The two things I do think are good for this beer in regard to grain bill:

1.) Keep it light and simple….. 3-5 SRM. Not much in the way of caramel/crystal malts, etc.

2.) I do like the addition of small amount of Honey Malt and recommend keeping it.

HOPS: (I have gone to 1 whirlpool/flameout addition and 1 dry hop)
**60 Min. = .5 oz Warrior (Or, none at all if you want to lay off bittering addition).

**Flameout/whirlpool =
Chill to 160 or below and add 6 ounces of Hops.
I generally go with 3 ounces of Citra, 2 ounces Mosaic, 1 ounce of Galaxy – but there are plenty of other combinations (listed later on).

I continue chilling at this point now…. No real “hop stand” at a particular temperature. I just like to get the temperature down to 160 or so, get the hops in, and continue chilling. It still takes 20-30 minutes from this point to going into fermenter anyway.

Stir up/whirlpool wort every 5 minutes or so to get hops in suspension.
Chill to 62-65 and let hops settle out as much as possible (just let it sit for 10minutes or so after it is chilled). Transfer wort to fermenter. I tend to leave behind .75 gallons of trub and hops (this is why I brew 6.5 gallon batch).

**Dry Hop – I now do a single, 6 ounce dry hop around day 2-3. Hops go in loose and they stay in for duration of fermentation. My standard recipe dry hop is 3 ounces of citra, 2 ounces Mosaic, 1 ounce of Galaxy.

I no longer do multiple dry hops. I no longer use dry hop keg….. depending on your system, that might be something you still want to do. However, I have found no difference with a single flameout addition and a single dry hop – plus it is way easier.

After the dry hop on day 2-3, and once fermentation is complete, do you transfer to a secondary? Would it be ok to begin cold crashing at that point in the primary and transfer to my serving keg? If that's an appropriate process, can the crashed & kegged beer stay at cold temps and carbonated or should it be left at room temperature for some time to allow for conditioning prior to carbonating? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Figured it was about time for another “update” post. Not that there are a lot of differences, but, there are some recurring questions and I have streamlined a few things. It is probably just as easy to update the original post with a link to what I have settled on over the last year as opposed to some of the same questions coming up on a regular basis.

**I brew 6.5 gallons of finished beer (post boil)..... this allows me to leave some hop/trub behind in boil kettle and fermenter and get 5 gallons eventually into serving keg. If you finish with 5 gallons post boil, you might want to adjust hops down a bit.
6.5 gallons post boil
5.75 gallons into fermenter
5 gallons into keg

GRAIN BILL:
I have settled in around 1.060 OG. I think this makes a perfect compromise between getting into DIPA range (having beers that are just too high in abv. for my preference) and going too far toward 1.050 where the beer may become too much of a session IPA for some peoples preferences.

*If you want a bigger IPA, I would just keep the ratios of grain and increase the amounts to hit a higher OG. I would leave the hops the same the first time as far as amounts, and then adjust if you feel you want more bitterness, dry hop etc. on subsequent batches.

Approximate percent of grain bill and the actual amt. I use for 6.5 gallons @ 84% mash efficiency (your efficiency may vary so use the percentages)

37.5% Rahr 2 Row (5 lbs)
37.5% Golden Promise (or similar like Pearl, Maris Otter) (5 lbs)
7.5% Flaked Oats (1 lb)
7.5% Flaked Barley 1 lb)
7.5 % Weyerman Wheat (1 lb)
2.5% Honey Malt (1/4 lb)

60 minute mash @152-155)

*Note on grain. Using all 2 Row for Base is probably fine. Using any combination of flaked Oats/Wheat/Barley to get into the 20% range is probably fine too. In fact, based on others input, and based on my own experience – I think you could do all kinds of things with the grain bill and be fine, including dropping a bunch of the flaked, using whatever you want for base malt etc. The two things I do think are good for this beer in regard to grain bill:

1.) Keep it light and simple….. 3-5 SRM. Not much in the way of caramel/crystal malts, etc.

2.) I do like the addition of small amount of Honey Malt and recommend keeping it.

HOPS: (I have gone to 1 whirlpool/flameout addition and 1 dry hop)
**60 Min. = .5 oz Warrior (Or, none at all if you want to lay off bittering addition).

**Flameout/whirlpool =
Chill to 160 or below and add 6 ounces of Hops.
I generally go with 3 ounces of Citra, 2 ounces Mosaic, 1 ounce of Galaxy – but there are plenty of other combinations (listed later on).

I continue chilling at this point now…. No real “hop stand” at a particular temperature. I just like to get the temperature down to 160 or so, get the hops in, and continue chilling. It still takes 20-30 minutes from this point to going into fermenter anyway.

Stir up/whirlpool wort every 5 minutes or so to get hops in suspension.
Chill to 62-65 and let hops settle out as much as possible (just let it sit for 10minutes or so after it is chilled). Transfer wort to fermenter. I tend to leave behind .75 gallons of trub and hops (this is why I brew 6.5 gallon batch).

**Dry Hop – I now do a single, 6 ounce dry hop around day 2-3. Hops go in loose and they stay in for duration of fermentation. My standard recipe dry hop is 3 ounces of citra, 2 ounces Mosaic, 1 ounce of Galaxy.

I no longer do multiple dry hops. I no longer use dry hop keg….. depending on your system, that might be something you still want to do. However, I have found no difference with a single flameout addition and a single dry hop – plus it is way easier.

WATER PROFILE: Use 100% RO water to start with and adjust to a specific profile.

There are multiple directions to go here. I have kind of settled in with a Sulfate:Chloride of around 120:120. Honestly, I think you could put either number between 75-150 and make a fine beer. It is likely just personal preference at some point if you are in those ranges. I think most people tend to go higher on the Chloride and lower on the sulfate.

100% RO water. I add per gallon of mash and sparge water -
Gypsum = .6 grams/gallon
CaCl = .7 grams/gallon
Epsom = .3 gram/gallon
Lactic Acid = .1ml/gallon

Lactic Acid = I add about .5ml- 1ml of lactic acid to the mash and the sparge. And may adjust a bit more…. Aiming for about 5.30-5.40 mash pH and Preboil kettle pH.

Using B'run Water
Ca = 105
Mg = 8
Na = 8
Sulfate = 120
Chloride = 122
Bicarbonate = 16

Mash pH = 5.35
Final runnings pH = 5.60
Pre-boil Kettle pH = 5.40-5.45
Post Boil pH = 5.3-5.35

**Water strategies to test out for yourself to see what you like best;
2:1 Sulfate:Chloride in the 150:75 range
1:1 Sulfate:Chloride with both in the 120-150 range
1:2 Sulfate:Chloride in the 75:150 range
All will produce a good beer, but you may find something you personally prefer.
I did go 200 sulfate:50 Cl and it was fine. But, it was not what I was looking for. It definitely “dried” the beer out a bit. I think it definitely moved this beer away from what most of us are shooting for in a “NE IPA.”

Water Profile - the simple solution:

***Many people ask about a more general guide to water because they do not know what their own water profile is, or they have not made the jump to using a water profile software. I use B'run water, and the above profile. However, if you just want to get in the ballpark of something "similar" to start with - The simplest solution is this:
100% RO water for both mash and sparge.
Per 5 gallons of mash water: 1 tsp of CaCl + 1/2 tsp Gypsum
Per 5 gallons of sparge water: 1 tsp of CaCl + 1/2 tsp Gypsum

This should bring you in around 140 Chloride and 80 Sulfate.

Or….. to try other versions….
*The opposite: 1tsp of gypsum and ½ tsp of CaCl per 5 gallon
*Equal ratios: ¾ - 1 tsp of each per 5 gallon.

This does not take into account trying to get Na or Mg numbers. It ignores bicarbonate and as it is 100% RO, it should bring your mash pH in around 5.41 without any acid addition.

If you are doing the generic additions above, you could use about ½-1 ml of lactic acid in 5 gallons of mash water and in 5 gallons of sparge water.

ROUGH estimate of grams to tsp of minerals:
1/4 tsp Gypsum = .9 grams
1/4 tsp CaCl = 1.1 grams
1/4 tsp Epsom Salt = 1.3 grams
1/4 tsp Canning Salt = 1.8 grams

FERMENTATION:

Yeast - Conan(vermont IPA) or 1318 are probably the two “go-to” yeasts for this.

*** I have also found that 1272 works great. I think there are many yeasts that would likely do just fine in beers like this. 1056, 1450, 007…. I would not be afraid to try other yeasts. People have played around with quite a few different yeasts, and I think people have been at least satisfied with almost any yeast they tried for the most part. But, I think 1318 and Conan are going to give you the most authentic NE IPA.

I tend to start fermentation off around 64 at let it free rise to 66-68 degrees through the first 3 days or so of fermentation. At that point, I like to move it somewhere that it can finish off in the 68-70-72 range.

OTHER THOUGHTS/NOTES:

I keep almost everything the same in brewing IPA's to this style. However, I do mix up the hops. I always bitter with warrior (Columbus on occasion), and always use 2 x 6 ounce additions – one at flameout/whirlpool and one for Dry Hop ....... but, not always the same hops. Some other options for hops that I have liked:

· Equal parts Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy
· Equal parts Citra/Mosaic or Citra/Galaxy
· 100% Citra
· 1-2 ounce Galaxy: 4-5 ounce Citra
· Centennial:Simcoe:Amarillo 1: 2.5: 2.5
· Sub in Simcoe for Galaxy
· Other hops that can be used with success: Vic Secret, Eureka, Azacca, Columbus, Amarillo, Simcoe, and others I am sure….. I find the fruity/tropical hops work better than some of the classic piney/west coast IPA hops.

At the end of the day I still find it very hard to beat Citra:Mosaic:Galaxy combos.

Some offshoots related to this beer:

Blonde Ale:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/murican-blonde-ale.644482/

Besides just being a great blonde ale, I like using this beer to “make yeast”. When I get a pack of yeast, I brew this 4% blonde ale that uses modest kettle hops and no dry hops. When I keg it, I sanitize 4-6 mason jars in the ½ pint to pint size and lids. I leave a quart or two of beer in the fermenter, swirl it all up and then decant the slurry into mason jars….. basically, one pack of yeast turns into 6 jars of yeast to use on other beers. I might use 5 jars on this IPA or other beers, and then I use one of the jars on another blonde ale, and repeat harvesting yeast. I can easily get 15-20 beers out of a single pack of yeast doing this.

Hoppy Session Wheat: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/hoppy-session-wheat-beer.644047/

Want a great session beer (3.9-4.1 ABV range) that is hoppy, light and super drinkable….. basically a lighter version of the NE IPA above? Try this one. I was kind of looking for something else to do that was an off-shoot of this and was thinking maybe something in the realm of Gumballhead from Three Floyds…. This is what I came up with and it is really good. A lot of my regulars actually like this beer more than the NE IPA above.

Do you secondary after the dry hop?

Do you secondary after the dry hop?
I think I can safely answer for him in saying that racking to secondary is a no no in NEIPAs. Too much o2 intake.

Treat the keg as the secondary and if you're bottling....well, good luck but I would definitely bottle straight from primary

I usually am pretty ocd about my pitch rates but I've heard good things about underpitching 1318.

I was debating doing 1.5 fresh smack packs for 5.75G of 1.065 wort with around a min of pure o2.

Anybody have experience underpitching compared to a normal pitch? Any diacetyl issues?

I think I can safely answer for him in saying that racking to secondary is a no no in NEIPAs. Too much o2 intake.

Treat the keg as the secondary and if you're bottling....well, good luck but I would definitely bottle straight from primary
Thanks. I don't secondary because of o2 pickup and I keg. I dry hop towards the end of active fermentation and want to make sure my process is not rushed. For my typical 7 day dry hop, starting at day 3 of fermentation, I begin my cold crash on day 8 (ziploc bag filled with co2 replaces my blow off tube) and transfer to my serving keg on day 10. My question is, once transferred, should I let the keg warm to room temperature and let the beer condition for some time before chilling and carbonating? My finished beer seems a little "green" and am wondering if i'm being too hasty. I've also read where the cold crash should be done 10 degrees per day which, for me, would stretch the process another day or two.

I don't cold crash in primary so I'm not the best person to answer...I rack to the keg around day 4 or 5 when there's a few points left and let it finish in the keg for another few days and then crash in the kegerator. It's usually around day 7-10 that I'm crashing. This does require that you don't have any undesirable yeast byproducts prior to crashing so it's always good to taste prior to crashing as it will clean up much faster with active yeast.

That's one of the main reasons I'm concerned about attempting to purposely underpitch 1318 for increased esters....I don't want to have to rest and let it clean up.

BTW, @Braufessor I noticed in your quoted post above you say you use .5-1ml of lactic acid in the mash/sparge to bring the pH into range...that seems pretty low based on most models. Is that a typo?

I'm brewing a version of this recipe today and the grist is pretty similar and I'm needing ~6ml of lactic acid to get to 5.3 and that's just for the mash. Another .5ml for the sparge water. Granted this is a 10G recipe but even if you halve that is still a lot more than you are using.

BTW, @Braufessor I noticed in your quoted post above you say you use .5-1ml of lactic acid in the mash/sparge to bring the pH into range...that seems pretty low based on most models. Is that a typo?

I'm brewing a version of this recipe today and the grist is pretty similar and I'm needing ~6ml of lactic acid to get to 5.3 and that's just for the mash. Another .5ml for the sparge water. Granted this is a 10G recipe but even if you halve that is still a lot more than you are using.
Hmmmmm..... I use B'run water.
If I put in 100% RO and aim for around 100 calcium and 120 each of Chloride and Sulfate..... I would add the following to both mash and sparge
.6 gr/gallon gypsum
.7 gr/gallon CaCl
.3 gr/gallon Epsom

That predicts 5.40 mash pH......
If I had .2ml lactic acid per gallon (1 ml to the mash) that lowers the projection to 5.30.

I also, often will put about half of the sparge minerals into the mash.... which would lower the pH as well.

Are you using B'run water? Do you also take readings with a pH meter yourself to cross check?

For those using Hornindal, do you get a thick krausen? I'm debating just trying to ferment in a corny instead of a pony keg but I don't want to flood my gas post with krausen or reduce the amount going into the keg below around 4.25-4.5 gallons.

I really wish a 7 gallon corny existed.

For those using Hornindal, do you get a thick krausen? I'm debating just trying to ferment in a corny instead of a pony keg but I don't want to flood my gas post with krausen or reduce the amount going into the keg below around 4.25-4.5 gallons.

I seen these a couple years ago but and thought they would be good for closed fermentation, but have not seen them for sale since.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...ffordable-stainless-fermenter-finally.543706/

I have pretty good experience with oxidation issues. I don't keg, I bottle. With sugar. At the end of the fermentation, the beer is at 28°C. Then I use warm bottles straight from the oven. Supposedly the yeast consumes the oxygen from the beer in about an hour with sugar present.

Thanks. Can you share your process and timing from the dry hop to the serving keg? I'm trying to figure out how to condition the beer once I've cold crashed and transferred to my serving keg and when to carbonate. My thought is to crash>transfer to keg>let condition @ room temperature for some prescribed amount of time>chill & carbonate. Till now, I've crashed>transferred>carbonate in refrigerator.

Thanks. Can you share your process and timing from the dry hop to the serving keg? I'm trying to figure out how to condition the beer once I've cold crashed and transferred to my serving keg and when to carbonate. My thought is to crash>transfer to keg>let condition @ room temperature for some prescribed amount of time>chill & carbonate. Till now, I've crashed>transferred>carbonate in refrigerator.
If you want to condition at room temperature just add 2 oz. of corn sugar to the keg when you transfer from primary and let it condition while naturally carbonating. I do this sometimes when I don't have room in the keezer, it saves on Co2 also.

I only do a single dry hop in primary at day 2-3. I use 6 ounces of loose pellet hops. I move the fermenter up to counter top a couple days before kegging to let it settle. Around day 12 I transfer from primary to serving keg. I don't cold crash. I don't add hops to the serving keg.

I have used 2.5ml lactic in the mash to get 5.33ph with Braufessors grain bill and RO water. This was based on Mash Made Easy calculator. I have compared BrunWater to MME and EZ water and find BrunWater is always way low on the lactic recommendation. I don't bother to use BWater anymore. I also use the Advanced Water Calculator on Brewers Friend for comparison and find it comparable to MME and EZ water but is more thorough.

Hmmmmm..... I use B'run water.
If I put in 100% RO and aim for around 100 calcium and 120 each of Chloride and Sulfate..... I would add the following to both mash and sparge
.6 gr/gallon gypsum
.7 gr/gallon CaCl
.3 gr/gallon Epsom

That predicts 5.40 mash pH......
If I had .2ml lactic acid per gallon (1 ml to the mash) that lowers the projection to 5.30.

I also, often will put about half of the sparge minerals into the mash.... which would lower the pH as well.

Are you using B'run water? Do you also take readings with a pH meter yourself to cross check?
Yep just got the latest version last night and used it. Use a freshly calibrated hach pH meter and added 8.5g, 5g, 6ml of calcium chloride, gypsum, and lactic to 10G of mash water and 7g, 4g, and .4 ml to 8.5G of sparge water to get a 5.28ph which was exactly where it ended up.

I wonder if it has to do with equipment profiles?
IMG_20181019_104940.jpeg

Yep just got the latest version last night and used it. Use a freshly calibrated hach pH meter and added 8.5g, 5g, 6ml of calcium chloride, gypsum, and lactic to 10G of mash water and 7g, 4g, and .4 ml to 8.5G of sparge water to get a 5.28ph which was exactly where it ended up.

I wonder if it has to do with equipment profiles?View attachment 593665
Just looked at my past brewing notes and prior to getting an Apera ph meter I was using the .1ml /gal recommendation from Braufessor and the beer came out great, although I was not checking the ph or using any water calculators. After getting the meter I started learning to use the calculators and found that their recommendations were definitely higher that Braufessors recipe except maybe BrunWater, but the ph readings came out consistent with what I was expecting. Don't know what the answer is but I do know the various calculators give fairly different recommended additions. All in all the beer always tastes Great!

I usually keg on day 4/5, condition at room temp for a week, carb in the keezer for 2, then serve.

I wonder if it has to do with equipment profiles?View attachment 593665
Brewing it tomorrow.... been a while. I recently got the new Brun Water too and have not used it yet. I will check mine tomorrow too..... However.... bottom line is regardless of your software and process, you want the pH in the 5.3-5.4 range.....

using it right now at 90F. very fruity aroma. not a big foamer.

Some pro brewers whose beers in this style I respect have said they try to get as close to 5.2 as possible in the mash. I don't have the cohones to miss on the other side so I shoot for about 5.25-5.3

Checked mine today.... used 1 ml of lactic in mash and in sparge. Was in the 130:70 Chloride to Sulfate range. 100% RO water. Came in at 5.34.

Checked mine today.... used 1 ml of lactic in mash and in sparge. Was in the 130:70 Chloride to Sulfate range. 100% RO water. Came in at 5.34.
Is that 1ml in each mash and sparge? Is that reading prior to sparging or after? Do you see any benefit from adjusting the sparge water rather than adding to the boil? I have been only adding the acid to the mash, nothing to the sparge water then any additional salts called for to the boil.

Have you thought about using Fermcap? I started using it basically to keep my blowoff system from getting all gunked up just a couple drops makes a big difference. I tried some gasex to start with but it didn't work although it was quite old.

Have you thought about using Fermcap?

Yeah, I've used that in the past and it does work. I should probably give that a try. I was hoping to find a corny style keg that could hold 5.5 gallons so I could get a clean 5 gallons out of it.

I did find the perfect option but a) it's sold out, and b) it's from Australia so shipping would probably be stupid high.

https://www.ibrew.com.au/products/kegmenter-20-and-26-litre-from

It's like the Keg King kegmenter but is about 6.5-7 gallons (26L) instead of 13. Plus it has the 4" TC lid so it's easy to pop open and add dry hops.

Is that 1ml in each mash and sparge? Is that reading prior to sparging or after? Do you see any benefit from adjusting the sparge water rather than adding to the boil? I have been only adding the acid to the mash, nothing to the sparge water then any additional salts called for to the boil.
That is 1ml to both mash and sparge (about 5 gallons in each).
That is toward the end of the mash for pH.... sample cooled to room temperature.
I just put it in the mash to make sure pH stays down during sparge and the resulting preboil pH is still in that 5.35-5.45 range.... Never really "compared it" though.

I do often add some of the salts that are slated for the sparge directly to the mash and just use less acid. Would be fine to throw them in kettle too.

At one time, you were preferring the higher sulfate to chloride ratio. Have your tastes changed?

Some pro brewers whose beers in this style I respect have said they try to get as close to 5.2 as possible in the mash. I don't have the cohones to miss on the other side so I shoot for about 5.25-5.3

Just creep up on it as the boil starts.
Test. Add a little. Test. Ad a little. By the time the boil starts you will have it.
If you get your mash in the 5.25 to 5.3 range it won’t take much at the beginning of the boil.
Just do it before (if you add any at all) your bittering charge.

Sorry didn’t read your post accurately.

Who are you referring to though?

Mash ph can vary a little....but getting that pre-boil (post mash) ph set to 5.2 (or post boil to 5.0) I’ve heard talk about.

Dan Suarez talks about it in relation to getting certain characteristics from hops.

From what I’ve gathered some of these brewers are trying to counteract the ph raising properties of hops in order to prevent any “off” flavors extracted from them at higher ph values.

*Edit: Or I should say to get the hop flavors they are after.

Last edited:
Anybody ever use Idaho 7 in one of these, what was your strategy? I've had some commercial brews that had it and find it interesting, but am concerned too much could overpower, and not sure what other hops to use with it, if any.

I've only used Idaho 7 in West Coast-ish IPAs and it works well. It definitely a medium+ hop in terms of hoppiness, flavours, etc.

Sorry didn’t read your post accurately.

Who are you referring to though?

Mash ph can vary a little....but getting that pre-boil (post mash) ph set to 5.2 (or post boil to 5.0) I’ve heard talk about.

Dan Suarez talks about it in relation to getting certain characteristics from hops.

From what I’ve gathered some of these brewers are trying to counteract the ph raising properties of hops in order to prevent any “off” flavors extracted from them at higher ph values.

*Edit: Or I should say to get the hop flavors they are after.

Did you mean to say hops would lower pH rather than raise? I assume that it would lower pH as we are extracting acids from hops during boil (alpha and beta acids)

Back