New England IPA "Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
appQQu3.png

Went with full golden promise for the first time, had 1lb of unopened Eureka! for like 6 months in the freezer... needed to try this instead of simcoe...
Just made the dry hop when the beer was at 1.025 (3 days of fermentation)

Will post result in 2 weeks.

Cheers

Yep no boil hops. I found that I like my NEIPA without any boil hops. With 12.5oz in a batch, I got a lot of IBUs to my taste.

Day 15 since brew day, day 6 in the keg. Theres still some serious hop burn going on, I really hope it goes away, its pretty much undrinkable at this point

i just had hop burn in my last neipa. it started tasting rounder and more resinous very day that passed. It was great at like 3-4 wks. just wait.

Day 15 since brew day, day 6 in the keg. Theres still some serious hop burn going on, I really hope it goes away, its pretty much undrinkable at this point
Yeah just wait a week or 2 and it can be the best beer you brewed...
Been there done that.

Thanks for the clarification . I used 1318 , 1.5L starter. Temperature was controlled via inkbird and heating pad, temp probe taped to side of fermenter and insulated . My mash was a bit low, I had to fire up the burner to bring the temp back up (first time thats happened to me). Mouthfeel is a bit thin but it probably needs some more time to carb up. Plus my expectations may be too high, Equilibrium Brewery is local and I drink their DIPAs frequently, which isnt a fair comparison.... if every new brewer (this was my 5th beer) could brew a comparable beer, those guys wouldnt have a line through the parking lot every saturday morning ...

If it is too thin - add some maltodextrin to cup of boiling distilled water, chill then open keg an pour in. Take an extra CO2 line and pump it in top while the keg is open to avoid oxygen. Will add 0.04 to FG and boost mouthfeel without affecting flavor. Have used this "trick" a few times with good results.

7 days 4 hours grain to glass. Naturally carbonated and cold conditioned.

Holy hops Batman wow does this beast pop.

IMG_0686.jpg

My version is 3 days away from kegging and smells divine! I'm trying the Imperial Juice yeast and I had a small test (and smell) over the weekend and I was very pleased by it. Can't wait for this to be ready and then try another one with some different hops just to see how they differ.
Basically, 1 10 minute addition, a boatload at flameout with a 30 minute whirlpool then a dry hop 2 days after fermentation started followed by a smaller dry hop 4 days after that. Add 3 more days including cold cash and I'm kegging soon.

The info in this thread has been both very helpful and informative though it's a lot to catch up to.

Yes exactly.

Cool. I have been converting some of my keg line up into fermenters over the past year. I have two that I have been using for Saisons/Sours. Two that I have been using for Lagers. And, just got two ready to use for regular ales.

Basically, I have gradually been converting my recipes over from being designed for 6 gallons/SS brew bucket. I have been adjusting them to finish with 8 gallons of high gravity wort, and then I add the high gravity wort to pre-boiled water that I already have in my fermentation kegs. Generally, I have about .75-1 gallons of water already in the keg and dilute the beer back down..... So, I can do a single batch and end up with 2 kegs, each with 4.5 gallons of wort in them. Obviously nice because it allows for better transfers, spunding, and results in more beer as well.

This process has worked great for me in regard to lagers and saisons/sours. I need to start converting this IPA recipe over to that process next.

Are there any specific links on the Low Oxygen site related to using kegs as fermenters? Tips/Tricks/Design/Parts, etc....... That is basically why I started doing it in regard to lagers/spunding, etc.

Cool. I have been converting some of my keg line up into fermenters over the past year. I have two that I have been using for Saisons/Sours. Two that I have been using for Lagers. And, just got two ready to use for regular ales.

Basically, I have gradually been converting my recipes over from being designed for 6 gallons/SS brew bucket. I have been adjusting them to finish with 8 gallons of high gravity wort, and then I add the high gravity wort to pre-boiled water that I already have in my fermentation kegs. Generally, I have about .75-1 gallons of water already in the keg and dilute the beer back down..... So, I can do a single batch and end up with 2 kegs, each with 4.5 gallons of wort in them. Obviously nice because it allows for better transfers, spunding, and results in more beer as well.

This process has worked great for me in regard to lagers and saisons/sours. I need to start converting this IPA recipe over to that process next.

Are there any specific links on the Low Oxygen site related to using kegs as fermenters? Tips/Tricks/Design/Parts, etc....... That is basically why I started doing it in regard to lagers/spunding, etc.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/pressurized-closed-loop-corny-keg-fermenting.600563/

_________

I just tapped my second keg of this. What a terrific beer, thanks again braufessor.
_________

Has anyone had success filling growlers from the tap with this style? I'm driving 8 hrs to visit the inlaws tonight and I'd like to bring a growler but given how sensitive these are to oxidation I'm hesitant. Going to tree house with my brother in law tomorrow and I'd love to do a side-by-side.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/pressurized-closed-loop-corny-keg-fermenting.600563/

_________

I just tapped my second keg of this. What a terrific beer, thanks again braufessor.
_________

Has anyone had success filling growlers from the tap with this style? I'm driving 8 hrs to visit the inlaws tonight and I'd like to bring a growler but given how sensitive these are to oxidation I'm hesitant. Going to tree house with my brother in law tomorrow and I'd love to do a side-by-side.

I haven't done a growler but if you purge with Co2 then cap on foam, it should hold up pretty good. That would be pretty close to the results you get from bottling with a beer gun and that holds up well. Normally I would think you'd be fine with 8hrs in the growler but since you're traveling with it, that will agitate it quite a bit so I'd take every precaution possible to remove oxygen.

I counter pressure fill Growlers all the time without a CO2 Purge but filled to the top as much as possible and cap on foam and I've never had a problem even storing up to a week

I usually use my beer gun to fill growlers but I left some beer in it and I don't have time for the deep clean it needs before using it again. I can just stick a co2 hose in to purge then fill with a tube over the tap.

And it's an 8hr drive, but more like 24 hrs before I'd open it.

The talk a while back about trilliums dialed in recipe that was posted online got me interested. I think I’m gonna take a stab at something like it tomorrow, got a London III starter going today. Tell me what y’all think.

White Girl Wasted IPA
3.5 gallon batch
60% 2 row
40% white wheat
OG 1.065

4oz simcoe at FO/WP

1 can welches 100% white grape juice concentrate (makes 48oz of juice) on day 2

2oz each of Nelson Sauvin, galaxy, and Citra DH on day 3

The juice has potassium metasulfite will that be a problem? Thanks

I don’t know if it would be something you would want to try but last 2 IPAs I made I served straight from the keg I fermented in (with a float dip tube). The last one took 8 weeks to drink, I’ve never had an IPA stay that fresh for that long, no off flavors. I dry hop on day 3 and spund, keeps O2 to an absolute minimum.

I counter pressure fill Growlers all the time without a CO2 Purge but filled to the top as much as possible and cap on foam and I've never had a problem even storing up to a week

I do it all the time - have to travel on flighs regularly and take homebrew. I purge, use growler filler tap attachement and fill to the very top edge, overflowing liquid so there no headspace. Tastes fine days later.

I don’t know if it would be something you would want to try but last 2 IPAs I made I served straight from the keg I fermented in (with a float dip tube). The last one took 8 weeks to drink, I’ve never had an IPA stay that fresh for that long, no off flavors. I dry hop on day 3 and spund, keeps O2 to an absolute minimum.

@jakturner Tell me more please. I have clear beer draught draft in all my kegs and am planning to try this. Was planning 6gal batch split across three kegs to try different dryhops & yeast. Original plan was first dryhop on day three, jump to secondary purged keg on day four with second dryhop and spund - kinda like @schematix LODO method referenced above. If I can get away with all in one - sign me up!

Did you double dryhop?
Spund for natural carb? - I really want to accomplish this.

@jakturner Tell me more please. I have clear beer draught draft in all my kegs and am planning to try this. Was planning 6gal batch split across three kegs to try different dryhops & yeast. Original plan was first dryhop on day three, jump to secondary purged keg on day four with second dryhop and spund - kinda like @schematix LODO method referenced above. If I can get away with all in one - sign me up!

Did you double dryhop?
Spund for natural carb? - I really want to accomplish this.

I use the clear beer draught system as well with a screen over the pick up. my normal set up was to ferment 3.5 gallons beer in a keg then jump to a 3 gallon corny with a keg hop addition. What I’ve been doing the last two IPAs is to transfer the cleanest wort I can into the fermentation keg, I use a paint strainer bag over my funnel to catch all the hop debris. The first 3 days I use a blow off attached to the gas post, 1 large dry hop on day 3 then set the spunding to 10psi for a few days then crank it down to 20-30psi till it’s finished. The reason I don’t spund from day 1 and start at a lower pressure is because I noticed that the yeast esters where being suppressed. I put the beer in fridge on day 10-11, it’s drinking good around week 2.

Last edited:
How do you put a screen over the pick up with the clear beer draught system? The pick up is already floating on top, you still find it useful with a screen over it?

1B6DA8B0-F78C-45DB-8706-324B5E5D67E1.jpeg
How do you put a screen over the pick up with the clear beer draught system? The pick up is already floating on top, you still find it useful with a screen over it?

The screen is specifically made for the clear beer system and is sold on their website. I can’t speak to how useful it is because Ive never not used it. I bring kegs to gatherings a lot (sentiment gets kicked up) and use FC intertap faucets that can clog easy from hop particles, so for me it was worth the extra money. Plus transferring or serving off dry hops means I can get as much beer as possible at the bottom of the keg without getting a glass full of hop particulate. I know the keg it’s kicked when the beer stops flowing because the pick up is sitting in the muck down in the bottom and the screen is clogged up.

7 days 4 hours grain to glass. Naturally carbonated and cold conditioned.

Holy hops Batman wow does this beast pop.

View attachment 563839

So im curious. Are you dry hopping from day 1? Or leaving hops in the fermenting keg and racking off? Doesnt seem like much contact time if youve already racked and conditioned. Whats the timeline look like?

Back