non-citrussy IPA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsberry

Reaction score
The trend of IPA's tasting like grapefruit juice (either through the hop selection or added flavors) has gone so far that it is hard to find IPA's outside of the trend.

Which IPA's go to the other end of the spectrum for a pine or herbal kind of flavor instead?

The trend of IPA's tasting like grapefruit juice (either through the hop selection or added flavors) has gone so far that it is hard to find IPA's outside of the trend.

Which IPA's go to the other end of the spectrum for a pine or herbal kind of flavor instead?

the one i just cooked up hah! JK in utah we have a IPL that's pretty good.

Dogfish head does one called Pennsylvania Tuxedo, adn its pretty good and piney. Id look for anything with Resin in the name or description, or anything brewed with spruce tips.

Sn Pale ale and Torpedo is solid if you're looking for commercial offerings. West Coast IPA is great as well. I just brewed an IPA with Falconers Flight hops and it's quite dank and piney.

the one i just cooked up hah! JK in utah we have a IPL that's pretty good.

I'm curious. What's the IPL? Which brewery? I assume it's only available in the liquor stores. I don't remember seeing an IPL in my recent visits, but i also haven't really looked.

I'm curious. What's the IPL? Which brewery? I assume it's only available in the liquor stores. I don't remember seeing an IPL in my recent visits, but i also haven't really looked.

I don't remember who makes it but I recently saw it in a Maverick (Ogden UT). Uinta Detour DIPA is a solid local one that's not on the citrus side. I emailed them hoping for some info to try and clone it bit they never got back with me so my recipe for it is still in the works.

Last edited:
Sn Pale ale and Torpedo is solid if you're looking for commercial offerings. West Coast IPA is great as well. I just brewed an IPA with Falconers Flight hops and it's quite dank and piney.

interesting i find Falconers Flight gives of super duper grapefruit flavors and others would agree with me. are you using as an aroma hop or bitter?

its called Snap down by Wasatch. my memory has this tasting like sweet fruit strawberry flavor. lots of floral notes and clean. it has a dragon on it.

can you tell me about your southern cross experience and how you used it?

I used it in conjunction with the other two hops I mentioned so I can't say exactly what the SC contributed. I used them towards the end of the boil, whirlpool, and dry hop. The finished beer was quite good, almost ESB-like, and a solid relief from all the citrusy and juicy IPA's I usually make.

I used it in conjunction with the other two hops I mentioned so I can't say exactly what the SC contributed. I used them towards the end of the boil, whirlpool, and dry hop. The finished beer was quite good, almost ESB-like, and a solid relief from all the citrusy and juicy IPA's I usually make.

i almost used it in my last beer, i used simcoe as my bitter hop added with 25 min left and then at 20 min i put in 3 oz of glacier. its very earthy smelling. thinking of buying some cryo simcoe to add in as a dry hop.

its called Snap down by Wasatch. my memory has this tasting like sweet fruit strawberry flavor. lots of floral notes and clean. it has a dragon on it.

I'll keep an eye out for it.

I've usually got some of the Uinta Detour you mentioned in your other post on hand, as well.

Latest posts

Back