No-Boil Recipes! New for 2019!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gave this process a try as PianoMan originally posted. Dissolved 6 lbs of Amber DME into 5 gallons of water. Added about an ounce each of Amarillo, Cascade and 1/2 oz of Simcoe into about a gallon of boiling water with half a cup of brown sugar. Boiled for about 10 minutes and let simmer on low for 15 more. Dumped in fermenter, stirred anp pitched safeale 05.

Easy peazy.

How did that process work for you? Although I've had success, I do believe a heating to 180F is probably wiser. Been brewing big beers all year long so no 'no boils'

Thinking of doing a Par-Boil Spiced Christmas Beer:

2.5 gallons with DME (Golden Light).
Simcoe Hop during 5 minute boil and 20 steep for IBUs.
2 gallon boil then replace get to 2.5 with Cranberry Juice.
Pitch with S-05 yeast.
Then at High Krausen - "dry hop" cinnamon, all spice and maybe orange rind for a few days.
Cold Crash and then force carb...

Anyone see anything wrong with this idea?

Thanks for the input

I'd say give it a shot. If you're interested in a true no-boil, heat the wort to 180F then boil the hops on the side in a pint of water or so, on their own.

Being a Hard Lemonade guy, I can attest to the fact fermenting juice definitely changes the flavor. Another possibility is to do a secondary with all your additions and instead of juice, use a 12-oz bag of frozen cranberries. I use frozen fruit all the time in the hard lemonades (no-boil BTW). I like to microwave the bag then hand crush before opening and introducing to secondary.

In addition, I ALWAYS cold crash when secondary then add potassium sorbate after. This makes a cleaner finishing product.

Thinking of doing a Par-Boil Spiced Christmas Beer:

2.5 gallons with DME (Golden Light).
Simcoe Hop during 5 minute boil and 20 steep for IBUs.
2 gallon boil then replace get to 2.5 with Cranberry Juice.
Pitch with S-05 yeast.
Then at High Krausen - "dry hop" cinnamon, all spice and maybe orange rind for a few days.

Anyone see anything wrong with this idea?

Thanks for the input
Yes, you have to s sanitise your herbs. Either in the boil, or by soaking them in vodka.

Since DME is already boiled down.. might distilled water be another option? I was thinking of getting some distilled for my next batch.

I watched a video or two about this and plan to give it a try in a few weeks.
Steep 1/2 lb of caramunich and vienna for color
This will get a 15 minute boil for my bittering hops, 1oz Magnum
add at end of boil for flavor and aroma:
2 oz Citra
2 oz Azacca
2 oz Moteuka
3.5 lbs DME
top to 2.75 gallons
Voss Kveik

With any luck be drinking it mid September.

Decided to do this as an all grain and bumped it up to 5 gallons. Did a 90 minutes boil. 6.7% ABV and 50-55 IBU. Came out real nice.

Care to share your ESB recipe?
I havent done an official ESB no-boil yet, but have done an ordinary bitter. I'm a terrible note taker, but as near as I can recall:
2 gallons
1 lb golden light dme
.75 lb wheat dome
12 ozs maris otter pale ale malt
3 ozs crystal 80 malt
1 oz pale chocolate malt
1.25 ozs EKGs
.25 oz mittlefruh
1 pack London ESB yeast
Mini mash the grains and .25 oz EKGs at 152 for 30 minutes. Remove hops and thoroughly mix in the extracts. Heat to 190, add .75 oz EKGs and steep for 20 minutes. Chill to low 60s and pitch yeast. Day ten dry hop with .25 oz EKGs and .25 oz mittlefruh. bottle on day fourteen.

Greetings No-Boil Enthusiast! After plenty of discussion and questions, decided to finally post my No-boil Hefeweizen recipe. The idea is to post and discuss no-boil recipes/techniques here not to debate no-boil brewing. I already know it works (at least for this recipe). Below is the recipe used including details. Feel free to share your own experiences. I will post other potential recipes also. Enjoy and Happy Brewing!

No-Boil Hefeweizen v4
3lbs - DME Pilsner
3lbs - DME Wheat
1oz - Sterling Hops (10min)
1pk - WLP300 Hefe Yeast
RO - 3.75gal
ABV = 5.8% (1.059 - 1.015)
IBU = 14

Bring hops to boil in about 1 pint RO water for 2min then turn off heat and rest for 5-10min. Mix in DME with 3.75gallons RO (or preferred water) with .25tsp Gypsum/.5tsp Calcium Chloride into a sanitized fermentation vessel. Add boiled hops through sanitized strainer or just add. Pitch yeast. Total time = 15min including clean-up.

And remember to sanitize the shizit out of everything!
Happy two year anniversary!

:mug:

I havent done an official ESB no-boil yet, but have done an ordinary bitter. I'm a terrible note taker, but as near as I can recall:
2 gallons
1 lb golden light dme
.75 lb wheat dome
12 ozs maris otter pale ale malt
3 ozs crystal 80 malt
1 oz pale chocolate malt
1.25 ozs EKGs
.25 oz mittlefruh
1 pack London ESB yeast
Mini mash the grains and .25 oz EKGs at 152 for 30 minutes. Remove hops and thoroughly mix in the extracts. Heat to 190, add .75 oz EKGs and steep for 20 minutes. Chill to low 60s and pitch yeast. Day ten dry hop with .25 oz EKGs and .25 oz mittlefruh. bottle on day fourteen.
Thank you! I will see about doing this and how it turns out... can I do a steep of the grains and whirpool of hops and then add the extract to cool ?

So the Christmas beer was successful but modified the recipe a bit -

2.5 gallons with 3 lbs DME (Golden Light).
Simcoe Hop - 20 min steep for IBUs.
Sit at 180 for 30 mins.
added spices - nutmeg, cinnamon, all spice ( dash of each)
Pitch with S-05 yeast.
5 day ferment till no air lock activity.

Malty, christmas spice prominent, final at ~5% abv.

I have been making a lot of no boil no chill stouts. The head retention and flavour of these beers is excellent imho.

Dry Irish stout

24l batch 75% efficiency
full volume mash
3.5kg Maris Otter
1kg flaked barley
500g roast barley

mash at 65c, mashout at 75c for 15 minutes then into a no chill cube.
The next day i boil 25g of 10AA hops boiled for 30 minutes in 1.5l water with some wyeast nutrient. This should leave about 500ml.

Wyeast 1084 or Kveik (i normally use farmhouse Voss) but my current favourite is 1084.

Is there a way to do this with DME? or is LME the way to go? I don't do all grain so looking to do an extract version.

Is there a way to do this with DME? or is LME the way to go? I don't do all grain so looking to do an extract version.
I mostly use dme. Next on my brew list is a stout for Saint Paddy's day.
2 gallons
2 lbs golden light dme
10 ozs maris otter
8 ozs roast barley
2 ozs caraffa II
1 oz black patent
.8 oz palisades
W34/70

I did an all grain no boil back in August or September. My dad still had one in his fridge and we tried it last weekend. It tasted fine. I can't remember the exact recipe measurements. No DMS of off flavors. I was quite happy with it especially since it's not my favorite style. I would add a little more malt complexity next time. I was trying to use up leftover ingredients.

OG 1.050-1.055
Mashed at 150f for an hour (BIAB) then heated to 170F for pasteurizing.
2 row and pilsner malt
Perle and saaz hops added for 20 minute hop stand
1214 yeast slurry (fermentation started quickly vs the previous batch I used it on)

2 gallons
2 lbs golden light dme
10 ozs maris otter
8 ozs roast barley
2 ozs caraffa II
1 oz black patent
.8 oz palisades
W34/70
I made this yesterday. steeped grain ,and malt at 180 for 30 minutes. then whirlpooled/steeped hops for 45 minutes at 180. Let cool to room temp and pitched yeast this morning.

I made this yesterday. steeped grain ,and malt at 180 for 30 minutes. then whirlpooled/steeped hops for 45 minutes at 180. Let cool to room temp and pitched yeast this morning.
Let me know how yours turns out. I'll probably do mine over the weekend.

Doing a 3gal Gin/Lime Gose tomorrow. Mostly to build yeast cake for a 11% Belgian Blond. Pretty easy. 3lbs Wheat DME. 1lbs Acid Malt. .4oz Saaz. WY1388 Belgian Blond. Heat to 175F. Heat hops on the side for 5min.

First no-boil in a while...

Finally getting to this Gose. Ended up steeping hops with the Acid malt making it a touch easier.

PXL_20210227_154653952.jpg

2 gallons
2 lbs golden light dme
10 ozs maris otter
8 ozs roast barley
2 ozs caraffa II
1 oz black patent
.8 oz palisades
W34/70

Steve - I used Bullion instead of Palisades and scaled the grain bill up a bit to accommodate 3 gallons.

I steeped all the grain with the DME and enough water to hit 3 gallons at 180 degrees for 30 minutes. I then removed the grain and whirlpooled the hops for 30 minutes before removing from heat and letting cool to room temperature (over night).

I transferred the wort to fermentation vessel and pitched the dry yeast. Kept at 70 degrees for 6 days before cold crashing and conditioning in a fridge (or outside -winter here) for 4 days.

I kegged and force carbonated overnight for 12 hours at 40 PSI before bumping the gas down to serving pressure of 12 psi.

The results are amazing. Creamy thick foam, complex flavor with notes of toffee, coffee, roasted break and a slight bitterness from the hops and dark grains.

I jumped in
1 gallon finished
Mash 1.5# 2-row, 2.7oz C10, 1oz Honey Malt in 3.7qt water at 152F, 60m
Heat wort to 165F, add .33oz Citra, .22oz Mosaic, .17oz Galaxy, .67oz Amarillo, 20m "whirlpool"
Add 1qt ice, immediately cooled to 93F, add 1.1gm Lallemand Voss Kveik
Ferment in 2.5g keg w homemade topdraw, at 95F.
Looks like exotherm was done by 18hr, and now at 3 days, maybe time to cold crash?
1615652664817.png

Steve - I used Bullion instead of Palisades and scaled the grain bill up a bit to accommodate 3 gallons.

I steeped all the grain with the DME and enough water to hit 3 gallons at 180 degrees for 30 minutes. I then removed the grain and whirlpooled the hops for 30 minutes before removing from heat and letting cool to room temperature (over night).

I transferred the wort to fermentation vessel and pitched the dry yeast. Kept at 70 degrees for 6 days before cold crashing and conditioning in a fridge (or outside -winter here) for 4 days.

I kegged and force carbonated overnight for 12 hours at 40 PSI before bumping the gas down to serving pressure of 12 psi.

The results are amazing. Creamy thick foam, complex flavor with notes of toffee, coffee, roasted break and a slight bitterness from the hops and dark grains.
I omitted the 2 ozs of caraffa II and probably shouldn't have. While the taste is good it's a dark brown instead of the black I would've preferred.

Day7. Aroma is heavy piney resinous, flavor the pine and orange try to dominate one another. Orange from Amarillo and Voss. It's refreshing, but the lingering pine is a bit much and could simply be hop bite. But for something I could do in one week due to no boil, chill w ice, ferm-n-serve in keg, it would be an easy one to make for the tennis mooks who love the hoppy styles over my beloved malty German styles.
1616001455629.png

No boil dry stout. Tasted like a clone of a foreign extra stout.

Attachments

• 1DC635CD-4C22-40DA-AFF0-F9D6DBA349A5.jpeg
    1DC635CD-4C22-40DA-AFF0-F9D6DBA349A5.jpeg
    55.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 626EBCD7-75FE-49E2-AD4A-CA40F2D883BA.jpeg
    626EBCD7-75FE-49E2-AD4A-CA40F2D883BA.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 9
  • 408090BE-28EA-4393-AE53-726357C1E353.jpeg
    408090BE-28EA-4393-AE53-726357C1E353.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 9
Anyone have a recipe for no-boil Mexican style cerveza?

For a lager to clear up better, I believe a boil is needed, maybe others can verify. No-boils are basically regular recipes that we don't boil so adjustment, adding grain for example, is needed, from a regular 60min boil. For IPAs, there might be some hop schedule changes otherwise it's a normal mash unless you really want to be quick and do extract only. Anyway here's a link to you might like.

https://beerandbrewing.com/make-your-best-mexican-lager/

For a lager to clear up better, I believe a boil is needed, maybe others can verify. No-boils are basically regular recipes that we don't boil so adjustment, adding grain for example, is needed, from a regular 60min boil. For IPAs, there might be some hop schedule changes otherwise it's a normal mash unless you really want to be quick and do extract only. Anyway here's a link to you might like.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/the-lazy-german-raw-warm-fermented-pilsener
I have done a few lagers and even a damn fine pilsner without a boil. Cold crashing and (if you really want) a clarifier can make all the difference. I have found that a cold crash with a very light DME and hop tea are possible.

Thank you for the site - I will be checking it out to find what I can use for Hops and yeast but thinking S-189 for the win.

Last edited:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/the-lazy-german-raw-warm-fermented-pilsener.638088/post-8942656
I have had success using steeping grains and extract only cold and no boils for lagers and pilsners. Thank you for the site - I'll use their suggestions for a steeping grain before a hop whirlpool (or hop tea). Cold Crashing is key for clarifying, an agent could also be used but find that those in conjunction with cold crashing lead to chill haze.

Low Effort AG Brewing - Raw Peach Milkshake Double IPA - 20l

4.5kg Maris Otter
0.5kg Amber Malt

2kg Sliced Peaches (frozen, defrosted)
350g Lactose

100g Mosaic
5g Voss Kveik (+nutrients)

Mash malts at 65*C for 1 hour in 12.5L water
Sparge with ~7.5L cold water to reduce to pitching temp. Pitch Yeast and nutrient. Heat to ~30*C

Put in 1kg of peaches (in a mesh bag) after 2 days.
Put in 50g Mosaic after 3 days.
Taste and decide it needs more peaches and some sweetness. Put in another 1kg of peaches with all the left over lactose in the house (350g) after 5 days.
On bottling day, add 50g Mosaic to just-before-boiling water to make hop tea. Add to bottling bucket alongside the priming sugar and the beer.

Tasting:
2 weeks later, crack a bottle. Sweet, quite floral from the peaches, super summery. 2kg of peaches plus the malt means this thing comes out at around 8%, so you have been warned.

Two more raw beers I knocked together (tasting notes to come when they've carbed/conditioned a little minute longer).

A (slight) variant on Blasphemy NEIPA (New England IPA - Blasphemy - No Boil NEIPA):
3kg Wheat DME
1kg Light Brown Sugar

Heated 10l water to 70*C and dissolved DME and sugar to pasteurize. Cooled to <40*C with cold water additions in fermenter and pitch:

Dry Hops:
50g each - Mosaic, Citra, Amarillo (after ~24 hours, at high krausen) for 7 days.

/////////////////

Quick/Cheap/Good (pick 2?) - Raw AG Amarillo/Maris Otter Pale SMaSH. £15/batch.
Mash at 68*C for 1 hour:
5.5kg Maris Otter Pale
50g Amarillo (in mash)

Sparge with cold water to <40*C, and pitch:

Dry Hops:
100g Amarillo (added after ~3 days) for 2 days.

That's good news! I plan on mashing speciality grains for a stout/dubbel and cool overnight maintaining the 30min or less work time goal. This where I get more concerned with infections.
Old thread, I know. But curious.... IF you added hops to the specialty overnight... A) could it be like a First Wort? B) would the hops help protect the grain wort from infection due to it's anti-bacterial properties?

Back