Lady Di IPA - looking for opinions on my recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsmith82

Reaction score
Fact - I love IPAs.
Fact - My wife is not a huge fan of IPAs BUT she loves citrus and fruity aromas.

When I started brewing, I decided that I would try and create the perfectly balanced IPA, one that she could enjoy not really being into "uber extreme" hopped beers but loving citrus and fruit, and I could enjoy liking pretty much anything that is beer (IPA being a +1).

I recently finished up the Orange Hefe that is so very popular around here, bottled it last night as a matter of fact. Since that brew day, I've been working a recipe based semi off the same idea, but tweaked and different gearing towards a very light IPA. I've bought all the ingredients and I'm 99% sure I'm brewing it off tonight, I'll have the time.

Jsmith's Lady Di IPA (Extract - 3 gal) said:
Estimated OG: 1.056-1.058
Estimated FG: 1.014-1.012
Estimated SRM: 8.3
Estimated ABV: 5.8
Estimated IBUs: 43.2

3lbs Light DME
1lbs Amber DME
1oz Amarillo
2oz Cascade
Wyeast American Ale 1056

Bring 3 gallons of clean packaged water up to boiling temp, remove from heat and slowly stir in the light DME and amber DME. Take it back to heat and bring to moderate boil then start the clock: 60min.

Hop Schedule:
.25 oz Amarillo (60min)
.25 oz Cascade (60min)
.25 oz Amarillo (20min)
.25 oz Cascade (20min)
.25 oz Amarillo (10min)
.25 oz Cascade (10min)
.25 oz Amarillo (5min)
.25 oz Cascade (5min)

During the boil, zest 1 grapefruit and dice half the inner fruit; add zest and diced fruit to a grain bag. At 30 min mark, place grain bag in a smaller pot and add 1/2 gallon clean packaged water then bring heat up to range 150-160. Remove from heat and allow to steep for remainder of wort boil.

After boil, place brew pot in the sink for a cool water / ice bath and get temperature down in range of 75deg. Pour wort into primary storage container then add the grapefruit grain bag with water and all. No additional water should be needed but in the case you're below the 3 gal mark, add as needed till you're at 3gal.

Add yeast and give a vigorous stir for a minute, then cap it off with the CO2 lock.

10-14 days primary in temp range of 70-74, days depending on fermentation.

Rack to secondary for 14 days dry hopping with the remaining ounce of Cascade, temp low 70s.

Rack to Bottling bucket, boil 1 cup water, add 1/2 cup Corn sugar to boiled water, add to bottling bucket, stir thoroughly then bottle it up.

Give a week plus in the bottle, temp low 70s, then have at it..

We both love citrus flavors and aromas; I thought using the fruit with the fermentation would be a good way to incorporate some additional flavor and aroma without altering the low IBU count by adding more hops.

This is the first recipe I have put together as a home brewer and per Beersmith, it BARELY squeaks by as an IPA but it does :)

So what do you all think? Winner or a mess, or possibly a brew it and see what happens? Any advise?

Well! Didn't get any feedback on the recipe but I said the hell with it and barged it last night; learn on! Went pretty well; smelled fantastic. Buried my Estimated OG by .010 with a rookie mistake; I'm heading to the beginners forum to throw a topic up about it now.

Anyhow, here are some pictures and I'll definitely answer back with the results in case anyone in the future is interested:

2011-02-16183838.jpg

2011-02-16192712.jpg

2011-02-16201058.jpg

3 weeks in primary, 9 days in the bottle, then I went for it:

2011-03-15194513.jpg

Very good! It has a great head that stays with the brew, clinging the sides of the glass through the entire 12 ounces. Has a bitter hop front that slaps you in the mouth followed by solid body and flavor with minimal sugar notes; the citrus is present in the aroma. As it warmed, the alcohol content started showing its face.

Overall, a good "all extract" strong IPA. With the water levels being off, the ABV was calculated right around 7.3-7.5 just before adding sugar and bottling. My buddy who sampled with me described it as tasting like Harpoon IIPA, and felt like he drank one afterwards as well.

To get the stronger flavor profile I ended with, follow the recipe but only use 2.5 gallons of water in the boil pot.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back