No-Boil Recipes! New for 2019!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to @PianoMan and @ong for inspiring my own attempt at a no-boil NEIPA. I took it a bit further and used all DME and dry yeast. :)

https://brew4fun.wordpress.com/2019/03/24/lazy-haze/

dsc_5463.jpg

Gosh darn beautiful beer! Never thought of doing all wheat. I'm VERY interested how it holds. The flavor in mine, 2oz cryo in 3.5gal batch, died in a week.

Well, Briess wheat DME is only 65% wheat, so technically this beer isn't all wheat. But yeah, wheat-heavy for sure.

No boil Saison( brewed)
Ro water 18L 5 gal ish sparge.

5 ml lactic acid.
10# bel pils
1oz Bravo in mash
2 oz US goldlings in mash
Bella Saison yeast,( 3711 would be better).
15 ibu
2.6 srm
4.7abv

No boil Saison( brewed)
Ro water 18L 5 gal ish sparge.

5 ml lactic acid.
10# bel pils
1oz Bravo in mash
2 oz US goldlings in mash
Bella Saison yeast,( 3711 would be better).
15 ibu
2.6 srm
4.7abv
What temp did you heat up to? How'd it turn out?

I need to do the stout soon. Would love to do a side by side comparison normal AG process vs. No-Boil process.

2 more No-Boils completed.

- Cold Brew Hefeweisen. Bit of an experiment. Bottled the trub of the last one. Warmed up, decanted and added. Hopefully save $7. Tore the bucket/spigots apart and mega cleaned first.

-Hard lemonade completed also. Will either be a Raspberry or BlackBerry.

Got the grains for @TwistedGray Apricot Kettle Sout. This will be another no boil.

Designed the Coffee Milk stout AG vs NB (PM) experiment. Bit later tho.

soooo did i mess something up - having a lot of trouble dissolving DME in my first no boil attempt...i could heat it up but didn't think i'd have to!

Did my first no-boil last night! Thanks @PianoMan for getting me on this path, and thanks @deadmanwolfbones for your recipe! Super easy brew “day,” made it from opening the garage to putting away the hoses in about 1.5hrs, so no complaints there.
Can’t wait to get this thing kegged up!

Did my first no-boil last night! Thanks @PianoMan for getting me on this path, and thanks @deadmanwolfbones for your recipe! Super easy brew “day,” made it from opening the garage to putting away the hoses in about 1.5hrs, so no complaints there.
Can’t wait to get this thing kegged up!
Let us know brother!

Have a French Saison NB and a blueberry Ale NB I need do to blend with the Blueberry Sour. Let's keep this crazy train going! [emoji16]

I pulled the trigger on my first AG no boil 13 days ago, and pulled my first pour today...

IMG_20190503_183539_452.jpg

I've been doing 15 minute boils for a while now, so no boil was the next logical step.

BIAB

30 min mash @ 70c:
38.6% crisp lager
38.6% crisp maris otter
20.9% Simpson's golden naked oats
1.9% melanoidin malt
100g columbus
30g simcoe
30g chinook
Hops were mashed with grist

OG 1.063

Mash water adjusted to:
ca: 53
mg: 13
na: 6
cl: 72
so: 58

Lactic acid to achieve 5.32ph

Temp raised to 80c after mash, then cooled to 30c and racked to a Fermentasaurus.

Pitched 1 tsp of Voss kveik slurry (harvested from a previous kveik "helles"). 0.3ml of amylo added at pitch.

70g Simcoe and 70g Chinook put into sanitised keg, and hooked up to gas out from fermentasaurus. Spunding valve set to 15psi on keg.

Keg purge for 36hrs. Removed jumper between 'saurus and keg. Keg put into fridge, and spunding valve moved over to 'saurus.

Soft crashed fermenter to 15c on day 9 (sg =. 1.003 for 7.6% abv)

Closed transfer to keg 24hrs later. Dry hopped @15c for 24hrs.

Crash to 1c over 24hrs, and then burst carbed at 42psi for 8hrs. Removed gas, and let sit for 12hrs (no purge).

Keg has floating dip tube (keg widget)

Sherberty saturated hop flavour, and the malt flavour is definitely different, but it's something I could get used to quite fast.

Consider how dry it finished, and the ABV, it's very drinkable, and definitely something I'll be doing more often than not. The real test will be stability.

I pulled the trigger on my first AG no boil 13 days ago, and pulled my first pour today...

View attachment 625188

I've been doing 15 minute boils for a while now, so no boil was the next logical step.

BIAB

30 min mash @ 70c:
38.6% crisp lager
38.6% crisp maris otter
1.9% melanoidin malt
100g columbus
30g simcoe
30g chinook

OG 1.063

Mash water adjusted to:

Temp raised to 80c after mash, then cooled to 30c and racked to a Fermentasaurus.

Pitched 1 tsp of Voss kveik slurry (harvested from a previous kveik "helles"). 0.3ml of amylo added at pitch.

70g Simcoe and 70g Chinook put into sanitised keg, and hooked up to gas out from fermentasaurus. Spunding valve set to 15psi on keg.

Keg purge for 36hrs. Removed jumper between 'saurus and keg. Keg put into fridge, and spunding valve moved over to 'saurus.

Crash to 1c over 24hrs, and then burst carbed at 42psi for 8hrs. Removed gas, and let sit for 12hrs (no purge).

Sherberty saturated hop flavour, and the malt flavour is definitely different, but it's something I could get used to quite fast.

Consider how dry it finished, and the ABV, it's very drinkable, and definitely something I'll be doing more often than not. The real test will be stability.
Top notch! Thanks for posting recipe/procedure. Curious on the all grain versions No Boils.

I bought a bells two hearted extract clone recipe. Dead ringer clone from northern brewer. And I was thinking of doing a no boil version of the recipe.

I was also thinking of adding additional hops as needed.

Any tips on doing a no boil with this recipe? How do the steeping grains and liquid malt extract look to use with a no boil recipe?

Original Recipe:
Steeping grains
- 1lbsBriessCaramel40

LME
- 9.15lbs gold malt syrup

Hops
- 1ozCentennial(60min)
- 1ozCentennial(20min)
- 2ozCentennial(5min)
- 1ozCentennial(Dryhop)

Last edited:
Did my first no-boil a week ago - a Gose.

2.87 kg local 2-row (incidental weight after vac-sealing the rest of the 50 kg sack - was aiming for +-2.5 kg)
2.4 kg flaked wheat (0.4 kg milled with barley, 2 kg whole)

RO water with some gypsum, CaCl, and a bit of lactic acid in the mash.

Boiled the 2 kg whole flaked wheat in a separate pot before adding to strike water with grain bag already in the kettle.
Single infusion mash in 18L starting at 65.5 C for about two hours - insulated against significant heat loss and with a couple stirs through the process.
Pulled the bag and Vorlaufed (or maybe just Laufed) the entirety of the mash liquor through the grains in my ZapPap tun draining setup (soon to be retired in favor of a big colander), then squeezed as much as I could out of the bag.
Boiled a liter of wort for bacteria and vitality/rehydration starters.
Boiled another liter of wort with 15g pink salt, 20g osmanthus flowers, 20g cracked coriander seeds, then added back into the kettle without the solid matter.
Heated wort up to 85C to pasteurize (I was aiming for 75C but took my eye off of things for a bit too long).
Chilled to ~30C or so with the immersion chiller.
Topped off with 10L cold water (same treatment as mash water) in the kettle and siphoned into two fermenters - about 20L in a 25L jerry-can style plastic fermenter with a liner and 4L in a 5L water jug.
OG ~9.7 plato IIRC (don't have my notes on hand).
Pitched US-05 and held temp @ 16.7C +-0.5C for three days.
Added L. Plantarum starter to the big fermenter and mixed probiotic starter to the small one at the end of day three and started to ramp up the temp. Sitting @ 21.5C +-0.5C right now.

I haven't made a decision on hops yet. I might add a small dry hop once the desired sourness is reached, which would give me hops aroma and flavor along with probably a couple IBUs. Dosing with some 100 IBU hop tea is another possibility if I want more like 5-10 IBUs and/or don't want hops aroma and flavor. Whatever the hops situation ends up being, I plan on bottling most of this straight and doing one or two 5L secondaries from the big fermenter with fruit. Lychees are almost in season so that's an option, and the neighborhood loquat trees are bearing a lot of green fruit right now so that's another, while I'm also attracted to doing another passion fruit Gose and a watermelon one, maybe with mint (though I might just dose that in the glass to be safe).

Whatever. Anyway, I'm excited to see how my first no-boil turns out. I ended up having al on

I bought a bells two hearted extract clone recipe. Dead ringer clone from northern brewer. And I was thinking of doing a no boil version of the recipe.

I was also thinking of adding additional hops as needed.

Any tips on doing a no boil with this recipe? How do the steeping grains and liquid malt extract look to use with a no boil recipe?

Original Recipe:
Steeping grains
- 1lbsBriessCaramel40

LME
- 9.15lbs gold malt syrup

Hops
- 1ozCentennial(60min)
- 1ozCentennial(20min)
- 2ozCentennial(5min)
- 1ozCentennial(Dryhop)
The speciality grains are basically for color/maybe head retention. I just added cold in SS hop spider then pulled at 170F.

I then added about 1lbs LME, dissolved and added the "boiling" hops in the same strainer keeping at 170ish. Pulled after 15min. Added RO water to cool a bit and added WP hops for 20min, then pulled, added 6.5lbs dme and began regular cooling (ice bath for me).

These recipes will never be a clone per say but aim is to make a nice drinking brew quickly.

Couple more notes. I always use RO and remineralize. Also, spent a lot time dunking/draining hop spider with the hops in attempt to extract as much oil as possible.

Last edited:
Did my first no-boil a week ago - a Gose.

2.87 kg local 2-row (incidental weight after vac-sealing the rest of the 50 kg sack - was aiming for +-2.5 kg)
2.4 kg flaked wheat (0.4 kg milled with barley, 2 kg whole)

RO water with some gypsum, CaCl, and a bit of lactic acid in the mash.

Boiled the 2 kg whole flaked wheat in a separate pot before adding to strike water with grain bag already in the kettle.
Single infusion mash in 18L starting at 65.5 C for about two hours - insulated against significant heat loss and with a couple stirs through the process.
Pulled the bag and Vorlaufed (or maybe just Laufed) the entirety of the mash liquor through the grains in my ZapPap tun draining setup (soon to be retired in favor of a big colander), then squeezed as much as I could out of the bag.
Boiled a liter of wort for bacteria and vitality/rehydration starters.
Boiled another liter of wort with 15g pink salt, 20g osmanthus flowers, 20g cracked coriander seeds, then added back into the kettle without the solid matter.
Heated wort up to 85C to pasteurize (I was aiming for 75C but took my eye off of things for a bit too long).
Chilled to ~30C or so with the immersion chiller.
Topped off with 10L cold water (same treatment as mash water) in the kettle and siphoned into two fermenters - about 20L in a 25L jerry-can style plastic fermenter with a liner and 4L in a 5L water jug.
OG ~9.7 plato IIRC (don't have my notes on hand).
Pitched US-05 and held temp @ 16.7C +-0.5C for three days.
Added L. Plantarum starter to the big fermenter and mixed probiotic starter to the small one at the end of day three and started to ramp up the temp. Sitting @ 21.5C +-0.5C right now.

I haven't made a decision on hops yet. I might add a small dry hop once the desired sourness is reached, which would give me hops aroma and flavor along with probably a couple IBUs. Dosing with some 100 IBU hop tea is another possibility if I want more like 5-10 IBUs and/or don't want hops aroma and flavor. Whatever the hops situation ends up being, I plan on bottling most of this straight and doing one or two 5L secondaries from the big fermenter with fruit. Lychees are almost in season so that's an option, and the neighborhood loquat trees are bearing a lot of green fruit right now so that's another, while I'm also attracted to doing another passion fruit Gose and a watermelon one, maybe with mint (though I might just dose that in the glass to be safe).

Whatever. Anyway, I'm excited to see how my first no-boil turns out. I ended up having al on
With flowers/coriander I cant imagine you need any hops even for bitter. Personally, I'd sample then decide.

Thanks for sharing and please post your results!

View attachment 625188

BIAB

30 min mash @ 70c:
38.6% crisp lager
38.6% crisp maris otter
1.9% melanoidin malt
100g columbus
30g simcoe
30g chinook

OG 1.063

Mash water adjusted to:

Did your 30min mash give good conversion?

With flowers/coriander I cant imagine you need any hops even for bitter. Personally, I'd sample then decide.

Thanks for sharing and please post your results!
Good point. I definitely plan to taste before making any decisions on hops, but I hadn't even considered the potential for bitterness from the coriander and osmanthus.

The speciality grains are basically for color/maybe head retention. I just added cold in SS hop spider then pulled at 170F.

I then added about 1lbs LME, dissolved and added the "boiling" hops in the same strainer keeping at 170ish. Pulled after 15min. Added RO water to cool a bit and added WP hops for 20min, then pulled, added 6.5lbs dme and began regular cooling (ice bath for me).

These recipes will never be a clone per say but aim is.

Another question. When you dump your cooled wort into your fermentation bucket do you strain the wort or just dump the whole thing in considering there really isn’t a hot break since there is no boil.

Also do you ferment the wort the same amount of time as you would other beers. I usually do 3 weeks of fermentation with IPA’s.

Another question. When you dump your cooled wort into your fermentation bucket do you strain the wort or just dump the whole thing in considering there really isn’t a hot break since there is no boil.

Also do you ferment the wort the same amount of time as you would other beers. I usually do 3 weeks of fermentation with IPA’s.
You're pretty much correct. I ended up racking whole thing. As far as fermentation time, looks like 10days for me before pressure transferring to secondary keg for dry hopping. Then 3 days and another pressure transfer to a serving keg. I used Barbarian and want to dump another beer on it so it's the way my work schedule fits brewing.

You're pretty much correct. I ended up racking whole thing. As far as fermentation time, looks like 10days for me before pressure transferring to secondary keg for dry hopping. Then 3 days and another pressure transfer to a serving keg. I used Barbarian and want to dump another beer on it so it's the way my work schedule fits brewing.
Thanks for info. This whole no boil process sounds interesting. A few last questions. What is the shelf life of a no boil ipa after being bottled? Do the hop aromatics disappear if it sits bottled too long???

Last question. When you add the hops and steep them. Do you just add them all at once and let them all steep for the same amount of time? Here is the hop schedule I am thinking of doing.

Steeping hops
1 oz centennial
1 oz chinook
2 oz centennial
1 oz amarillo
1 oz citra

dry hops
1 oz citra
2 oz centennial

Thanks for info. This whole no boil process sounds interesting. A few last questions. What is the shelf life of a no boil ipa after being bottled? Do the hop aromatics disappear if it sits bottled too long???

Last question. When you add the hops and steep them. Do you just add them all at once and let them all steep for the same amount of time? Here is the hop schedule I am thinking of doing.

Steeping hops
1 oz centennial
1 oz chinook
2 oz centennial
1 oz amarillo
1 oz citra

dry hops
1 oz citra
2 oz centennial
I'd do 1oz Centennial/Chinook in a 15min steep at 170F. Rest as a WP, then DH normal.

Bottling always lowers hop flavor/stability.

Knocked up another no boil wheat the other day. Missed my OG by 5 points but it will be fine. From grain to glass in a week with any luck. Last time i made this i racked after 6 days and force carbed. No cold crash, was plenty of yeast in suspension for the first few days but it tasted great.

25l approx

OG 1040

water RO with 0.2g per liter of chloride

2.5kg German wheat
2kg maris otter (Bairds)

mashed at 65c for 90 minutes
mashout 75c for 10 minutes
boiled 13g of magnum for 20 minutes in a liter of water which was strained and added to fv.

fermenting at 23c with 3068

Last night i racked 4l onto 500g of frozen raspberries. Next time i will probably make a 40l batch and rack half onto 3kg of mango.

Knocked up another no boil wheat the other day. Missed my OG by 5 points but it will be fine. From grain to glass in a week with any luck. Last time i made this i racked after 6 days and force carbed. No cold crash, was plenty of yeast in suspension for the first few days but it tasted great.

25l approx

OG 1040

water RO with 0.2g per liter of chloride

2.5kg German wheat
2kg maris otter (Bairds)

mashed at 65c for 90 minutes
mashout 75c for 10 minutes
boiled 13g of magnum for 20 minutes in a liter of water which was strained and added to fv.

fermenting at 23c with 3068

Last night i racked 4l onto 500g of frozen raspberries. Next time i will probably make a 40l batch and rack half onto 3kg of mango.
Quick beer AND great!?! Nice combo. Feeling spoiled living in the 21st century. Haven't done a Wit per say. But like the fruit combos. Taking a break from the brew pub build. TIME to BREW!!

Kicked the keg of the no boil neipa last week, pretty good stuff!

Couple of small issues, but nothing crazy. Does anyone else get very slow ferm starts with these extract no boil brews? I followed the recipe that involved heating the wort to 170 then whirlpooling a bunch of hops and chilling to ferm temps. Worked great, but I had a really slow start to fermentation, and a much slower overall fermentation then I’m used to with AG brews. The only other variables were that I usually ferment in a 1/2 bbl sanke keg under pressure, and this was done in a speidel fermenter at normal pressure. My AG BIAB batches typically ferment out within 3-6 days, and this extract no boil took almost 2 weeks to get to fg. I did F up and added twice the CTZ that I was supposed to, but I don’t think that would’ve messed with the fermentation.

Once the wort finally finished fermenting, I cold crashed at 36°F for 2 days, then kegged and carb’d at 30psi for 48hrs, then dropped to serving psi and tapped. It definitely tasted super young for a few days, then evened out, but held onto an interesting “bite” for the rest of the keg.

Anyway, I’m interested in keeping this sort of thing going, but I’d love to even everything out, or at least get it closed to my AG BIAB batches.

Any tips?

Couple of small issues, but nothing crazy. Does anyone else get very slow ferm starts with these extract no boil brews? I followed the recipe that involved heating the wort to 170 then whirlpooling a bunch of hops and chilling to ferm temps. Worked great, but I had a really slow start to fermentation, and a much slower overall fermentation then I’m used to with AG brews. The only other variables were that I usually ferment in a 1/2 bbl sanke keg under pressure, and this was done in a speidel fermenter at normal pressure. My AG BIAB batches typically ferment out within 3-6 days, and this extract no boil took almost 2 weeks to get to fg. I did F up and added twice the CTZ that I was supposed to, but I don’t think that would’ve messed with the fermentation.

Once the wort finally finished fermenting, I cold crashed at 36°F for 2 days, then kegged and carb’d at 30psi for 48hrs, then dropped to serving psi and tapped. It definitely tasted super young for a few days, then evened out, but held onto an interesting “bite” for the rest of the keg.

Anyway, I’m interested in keeping this sort of thing going, but I’d love to even everything out, or at least get it closed to my AG BIAB batches.

Any tips?
I tend to not pay any attention since they're intended to be just something to drink and not a perfected brew by any means. Now that you mention it, air lock activity does lag compared to AG stuff. IDK, maybe due to proteins?

I did a raw sour a few weeks ago. Its not super sour which i what i wanted and easy to drink.

2kg wheat
2kg maris otter

mashed at 65c
mashout 75c

I collected about 23l of 1045 wort no chilled until it got down to 37c then pitched some Voss and sourpitch. Fermented for 3 days then dropped the temp to 14c and dry hopped with 100g total of citra and el dorado. I would of used more but thats all i had. I cold crashed for a few days then kegged with a bit of hop oil to up the bitterness.
A very simple beer which can be turned around in a week.

Couple of small issues, but nothing crazy. Does anyone else get very slow ferm starts with these extract no boil brews? I followed the recipe that involved heating the wort to 170 then whirlpooling a bunch of hops and chilling.
I've done five no-boil extract batches using S-189, S-33, nottingham, and BRY97. The only slow start I've had is the one brewed yesterday with BRY97.

I've done five no-boil extract batches using S-189, S-33, nottingham, and BRY97. The only slow start I've had is the one brewed yesterday with BRY97.

Interesting! This one was done with Imperial Yeast A04 Barbarian, which I’ve had great luck with with fast pressurized AG ferments. I may have under-pitched (1 pack for the 6 gallon batch), but it was still a slow finisher all together. Gonna have to try again!

Interesting! This one was done with Imperial Yeast A04 Barbarian, which I’ve had great luck with with fast pressurized AG ferments. I may have under-pitched (1 pack for the 6 gallon batch), but it was still a slow finisher all together. Gonna have to try again!
1pk for 6gal? Did you get diacetyl? I've learned to do a starter for that issue myself.

and BRY-97 is notorious for being a slow starter, that's not a no-boil thing.

1pk for 6gal? Did you get diacetyl? I've learned to do a starter for that issue myself.

I was figuring that ~200b cells in 6 gals of 1.067 wort would be juuust enough, but it was probably a little on the low side. I didn’t get any Diacetyl, but it was a veery long ferment, close to 2.5 weeks, so it might just have had enough time to work it out of there. It didn’t hit FG til the very end, and I let it sit for a couple of days at FG before kegging. Next time, I’ll either pitch onto a fresh cake, or finally get the stir plate out of its packaging and put it to use...

The majority of my beers are now no boil. Just kegged an Irish stout. Came out better than the boiled version in that there is better head retention. Apart from that I can't really tell any difference. Brewed with Voss I left it in the FV for a few weeks and it had dropped clear.

My most recent no-boil was a bitter that went from 1.040 to 1.012 in less than 48 hours. I used London ESB yeast.

Back