Working on Schofferhofer Grapefruit clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sappnasty

Reaction score
Fellas,

I have searched high and low and have not been able to find a good solid recipe to clone Schofferhofer's Grapefruit Hefeweizen beer. I did find one on beersmith's website but it is all grain and I did not see any type of grapefruit ingredient. Here's the scoop on how and what I got...I live about 45 minutes away from Sanford, Florida (home of the famous Trevon Martin). There I found one of the best German restaurants that I have even been to in the U.S. and it's called the Willow Tree Cafe. I have been going there for years... mainly for the entertainment, 3L boots and numerous German beers on tap.

The Willow Tree has a main restaurant and then right around the corner is their german bakery and deli. Even better than that, right next to the deli is the Sanford Home Brew store, which is one of the nicest and most stocked stores I have visted thus far. Well until about a month ago, I had never heard of Schofferhofer and just recently tried one of their grapefruit weizens at a buddy's house.

I have been trying to get my wife into this hobby since my Mr. Beer days, but she does not like beer (I know, I know). However, when I tried my first one I really liked it, so last weekend when we returned to the restaurant for dinner and drinking, I had her try one and she loved it. Luckily she is excited to help me try and brew a clone batch of this beer. Hopefully this will open her eyes that not all beer is the same and there are probably hundreds more she would like as well.

It was only by chance that while we were at the restaraunt, I met the owner of the brew store who also works at the restaurant. When I told him that I am a beginning home brewer and that my wife really liked the beer, he said he had a recipe for me. I was a tad bit inebriated:drunk:, so I told him I would come by his shop again later in the week to take him up on offering his recipe. The wife and I took another trip yesterday and talked with him. Since I haven't seen an actual recipe here or anywhere else on the net for extract or that uses grapefruit flavors, I will share what I have been given.

According to the brew shop owner, if you want to make a 5 gallon batch, you need to only prepare a 2.5 gallon wort, as the rest of the 2.5 gallons is grapefruit soda found at local ethnic stores (spanish markets have it around here). At first I thought he was joking, but he said it will be the closest thing you will get to cloning the original by using the soda. He said many have tried using actual grapefruits, but usual ended with a not so loveable batch of beer.

According to him, ingredients for the 2.5 gallon wort are as follows:

Yeast: White Labs WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale Yeast (he said to pitch entire tube, no need for starter)
Hops: Hallertauer .5 oz (He said wait until the hot break occurs, then add hops into rolling boil for the remainder of the boil)
Extract: Briess Bavarian Wheat 3lbs DME
3 Gallons of water (said approximately .5 gallon will boil off during 60 minutes)

He said to bring 3 gallons of water to a rolling boil, cut heat and add all 3 lbs of DME. Bring back to a boil and after the hot break occurs, then add the .5 oz of the Hallertauer for the remainder of the 60 minute boil. Cool as quickly as possible and when at pitching temp, add the entire tube of yeast. After everything is ready, allow to ferment between 66-70F for 2-1/2 to 3 weeks.

He said after Hydrometer readings show fermentation is complete, simply take the 2.5 gallons of Grapefruit soda and 2.5 gallons of beer and add to 5 gallon carboy. According to him, no priming sugar is necessary due to the sugars in the soda itself. He said that even though the soda is already carbonated, the beer portion still needs to carbonate and allow 1-2 weeks for carbonation to take place in the bottle. He advised to refridgerate and test until it seems right and then drink as you wish.

I am still a total rookie at brewing, but I have everything to brew this batch and I'm going to go ahead and give it a shot. Even if it doesn't turn out right, I think I will have still won because I finally got my wife interested and involved. But according to the shop owner, it is delicious and very close to the original. I am planning on doing this on Monday, so I will keep it all in this thread and update along the way.

-Sapp

Here are a few pics:

Here is a recent grapefruit beer that I recently made and came out great.

3.5lbs 2 row
3lbs crystal 10l
2.25lbs wheat
1oz hallertauer @ 60min
1oz hallertauer @ 5min
3 lg grape fruits (juiced)

The grapefruit was added in the secondary and started another vigorous fermentation. The next time I am going to add 5 grape fruits and use some zest in the boil.

Quick question, when you juiced them did you peal them and take as much of that white stuff (sorry don't know what's it's called). And you juiced it yourself I take it.

Yes it was a 5 gal batch. I used a juicer machine for my fruit and it removes the white rind, seeds, and pulp and gives me just the juice. I peel them before juicing. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1389400583.326944.jpghere is a picture of the secondary

Loucurr,

Maybe I will try Grapefruit juice as well. Pshakerc has a nice juicer I can use! My wife recently bought a couple rubys and they were actually sweet. Still a little bitter like a grapefruit, but definitely easy to eat raw. How did it taste Loucurr?

-Sapp

Very easy drinking. Crisp and light. My daughter recently had the German grapefruit beer that started this thread at Epcot and she said it was very close.

OKay fellas, I wanted to update the thread. I just bottled it today. I followed the brew store owner's directions to the T and my 2.5 gallon batch first measured 1.061 and today measured 1.012. I decided to bottle and added 2 gallons of "Squirt" soda, which was the closet thing to a real grapefruit soda as I could find. Tasted a little weird when I tried it after mixing, but I am sure 1-2 weeks in the bottle should straighten it out. However, the hefeweizen was absolutely amazing before I mixed so hopefully it turns out great. As far as looks goes, I'd say I nailed it.

-Sapp

Here are some pics:

Hefe before mixing:

AND ON MORE TIME CAUSE IT LOOKS SO GOOD!

***UPDATE***

Ok since bottling, I have allowed the bottles to condition for 2 weeks before trying my first one. I am sad to say that the results were horrendous. Prior to adding the Squirt, the Hefeweizen was absolutely perfect...smelled great, tasted even better and had a beautiful color. I tried my first one on the two week mark (which was a few weeks ago) and my intial thoughts were sheer disappointment. At first, although it had carbonation when I opened and poured it, it tasted flat...and I am guessing this is because the soda I used. On top of the flat taste, it smelled like a gym sock and tasted very strange. I do not think the beer has anything wrong with it like infection, but just strange because of the soda. I am not sure if this has ever been tried, but hey, you can't learn without doing.

Then a allowed another week to pass and tried again. Same horrid smell and the taste got a little better and the flat flavor seemed as if it was going away. Gave it another week and tried yet again. Smell does not seem to be going away but carbonation is starting to shine through. It still tastes very strange and is not enjoyable to drink. I am guessing that it is probably just a crappy batch (I'm sure we've all made em) but either way, I am not a quitter and plan on allowing it to keep going. Maybe in a month or so, I will try again and see if the flavor improves. Till then, it will be stored in a nice dark 66F closet.

-Sapp

Bump...

I'm interested in making this "clone". I share your same story - I tried it, liked it, and gave it to my GF (who doesn't drink beer, just cider), and she loved it - to the point I'm sent out to buy more on a regular basis.

Anyways, how was the long-term analysis? A lot of my beers needed some time to mellow out and condition. It's not like this was a huge beer or anything, but I'm curious to see if it improved.

Also, was the soda real sugar or HFCS?

I'm interested in adding grapefruit to one of my beers and I plan on using a few different techniques I've read about.

Rinse fruit thoroughly to remove pesticides, and soak them in sanitizer solution with your knife, cutting board, and fork. Score the rind with a fork, quarter the fruit, and add to your fermenter 12-36 hours before kegging. (Variations I've read on this are muddling with the bottom of your siphon, peeling a certain amount of the fruit to reduce rind oils, freezing the fruit, and/or just tossing it all right into the keg). Fruit amounts vary from person to person, numbers I've seen are from 2lbs-6lbs

The easier method I read up on was pouring some simply grapefruit into the keg

Plan on giving this a shot soon

Last edited:
We had some of these beers this summer and liked them as well. Wife wanted me to put it on the list for cloning. I'll let you guys do the research on how to do it and then I'll jump in :)

Add me to the list of my wife loves this beer. Then again she's German and loves all beer so...

Anyone ever nail down a good clone?

I will be making my Sunset Wheat clone this summer for a week up at the cabin with family. So I will make a double batch of base wheat and can give a go at this as well.

Some initial thoughts:

- Probably the easiest and maybe best tasting would be to just pour your glass 2/3 full with wheat beer and then add carbonated grapefruit juice to taste. That way the yeast does not ferment the grapefruit juice. If you had a carbonator cap this would be easy, as you could even add sugar to taste.
- Another idea is to keg this and keep it cold (under 40F). By adding the grapefruit juice or soda into a cold keg, very little fermenation should take place. Poblem is that once you add it, you are committed.
- Or you could zest up a bunch of grapefruit rinds and add to the wheat beer (either in a keg filled with wheat, or in primary for a week prior to bottling). Also add some grapfruit rinds in the last 2 minutes of the boil. This strategy works really well for an orange pale ale that I make with Cascade hop cones. You will miss out on the color here (could add some pink food coloring I suppose), but the grapefruit flavor will be there. It will be a true wheat beer though, and not quite like the original which is more of a mixed concoction.
- And lastly, which almost no one has the ability to do (including me). Filter out the yeast. I would guess the original is either filtered or flash pastuerized so that no fermentation takes place after they add the grapefruit juice. People have added fine filters (in the micron range) in between kegs with pressurized transfer from the CO2 tank. Again rather expensive option, but I suppose it would work well.

IMO most extracts have a pretty artifical taste. I like their aroma, but you don't really approach the real thing in terms of taste. Out of the ones I've tried:

cranberry, this one is pretty close to the real deal
raspberry, aroma mostly
blueberry, aroma mostly, some flavor that is not very close at all to the real deal

I will say that if you combine the extract AND some of the real deal you get the best of both worlds: the taste and aroma of real fruit.

I hate when a thread like this goes quiet. Did anyone try the grapefruit soda recipe? I really liked this beer, especially because it's like 3.9% or something.

I've done a grapefruit pale ale, but it was higher ABV and much more bitter than this one. More like a pale ale.

This thread is old but in case anyone is interested, I have found great success in using Simply Grapefruit in a 3.5%ABV all grain wheat beer recipe. Here is the product: http://www.simplyorangejuice.com/product/grapefruit-juice. It can be hard to find but definately worth the try. There are a few recipes on here that use it for other styles such as Simply Limeade for Bud Lime clones.

It is a pure juice and will bump up the ABV approx 0.5% and I have found that an end ABV of 4% has the best taste for this style.

This thread is old but in case anyone is interested, I have found great success in using Simply Grapefruit in a 3.5%ABV all grain wheat beer recipe. Here is the product: http://www.simplyorangejuice.com/product/grapefruit-juice. It can be hard to find but definately worth the try. There are a few recipes on here that use it for other styles such as Simply Limeade for Bud Lime clones.

It is a pure juice and will bump up the ABV approx 0.5% and I have found that an end ABV of 4% has the best taste for this style.

So how much of the grapefruit juice do you add per gallon? :mug:

I made this and turned out really good, I found recipe for Schofferhofer Hefeweizen which was really easy to find. I did a 5 gallon BIAB and after fermentation split into 2 kegs then added 4 59ounce bottles of simply grapefruit and put right into fridge so the yeast would stay dormant. Turned out awesome and was easy, don’t know how to do this with bottles as yeast would go active and cause huge mess.

I made this and turned out really good, I found recipe for Schofferhofer Hefeweizen which was really easy to find. I did a 5 gallon BIAB and after fermentation split into 2 kegs then added 4 59ounce bottles of simply grapefruit and put right into fridge so the yeast would stay dormant. Turned out awesome and was easy, don’t know how to do this with bottles as yeast would go active and cause huge mess.

Qty 2 of the 59oz SIMPLY GRAPEFRUIT juice per keg? or did you do 4 per keg?

Interested in brewing a Schofferhofer Grapefruit clone. So it sounds like the concensus is to brew a good base wheat beer and then add in the Simply Grapefruit juice to keg as 50/50 and it comes out very close to the original?

Here is a recent grapefruit beer that I recently made and came out great.

3.5lbs 2 row
3lbs crystal 10l
2.25lbs wheat
1oz hallertauer @ 60min
1oz hallertauer @ 5min
3 lg grape fruits (juiced)

The grapefruit was added in the secondary and started another vigorous fermentation. The next time I am going to add 5 grape fruits and use some zest in the boil.

How close was this recipe to the original Schofferhofer?

Back