No-Boil Recipes! New for 2019!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another addition..
Screenshot_2019-01-01-20-33-57.jpeg

Brewers friend lets you put 1.00 in ibu calculator. That helps calculate hop tea. Hops isomerize better in water iiac. I like that dry hop only recipe.

Cool thread. Another way you can take advantage of the no boil strategy is to intentionally inoculate the wort with souring microbes. I did a long aged dark sour that went something like:

6 Lbs. Light DME
2 Lbs. Local Wildflower Honey
8 Oz. Special B
8 Oz. Aromatic
16 Oz. Midnight Wheat
(Steeped Grain @ 154F)
Belle Saison
Dregs of your favorite sours

This sidesteps the concern of sanitation by purposely infecting the beer. Brew on

Cool thread. Another way you can take advantage of the no boil strategy is to intentionally inoculate the wort with souring microbes. I did a long aged dark sour that went something like:

6 Lbs. Light DME
8 Oz. Special B
8 Oz. Aromatic
16 Oz. Midnight Wheat
(Steeped Grain @ 154F)
Belle Saison

This sidesteps the concern of sanitation by purposely infecting the beer. Brew on
That is a cool concept. Which sour beer did you use and what's the time frame for the process? I thought honey was antibacterial? Did you just add the honey cold?

I actually used a few when I made this. I think most notable were Lindemans Cuvee Rene, Orval, Wicked Weed Oblivion, and Boulevard Changeling.

I did primary in a bucket for about a month, then racked to a better bottle that was left untouched for about nine months before I bottled it. It's about 2 years old now and drinking beautifully. You get mostly chocolate, leather, and blue cheese from the glass.

Pianoman check out my recipe for daddys orchard aka (daddy juice). Haha, its no boil, its no fuss as a mf. I take sams club gallons of juice pour a little out. No need to put in your fermenter. The only thing anyone is going to do pulling this out of the factory clean container is going to cause harm and oxygen. Pour a little out, put yeast in and nutrient. I put cap back on loose. Could rig an airlock with a bung. Ferment and back sweeten with organic black cherry juice. Turns out 1 quart to 1 g is perfect.

I could use a little help calculating alcohol . It is juice with no sugar added and then diluted with one quart to one gallon. Assuming that is one gallon of juice between 6 and 6 and a half percent I don't know what the alcohol then becomes. Either way it is a light drink. And hey, could be worse for you than drinking organic blackcherry juice. My wife actually does drink this.

Ifanybody makes it and likes it please comment on the recipe thread, Daddy's Orchard.
Screenshot_2019-01-03-11-45-40.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-01-03-11-45-19.jpeg
Screenshot_2019-01-03-11-45-08.jpeg

This is brilliant! I recently moved into a new home and haven't had time to set up my "brewer's corner" in the basement. The main thing i need to do is to set up a ventilation system and this no-boil is a perfect interim (or permanent!) solution. Thanks.

What would happen if I mash NEIPA grains, keeping pH at 5.2, overnight but add 6oz of 1st Wert Cryo hops also? So mash at 152ish then let cool overnight. Clarify in am and pitch....hummm

What would happen if I mash NEIPA grains, keeping pH at 5.2, overnight but add 6oz of 1st Wert Cryo hops also? So mash at 152ish then let cool overnight. Clarify in am and pitch....hummm
I bet if you used a cfc or shell and tube exchanger and could get the wort up to 180 or above, it could pasteurize it(I know you probably need more time, etc)

I have both and a herms system. Maybe I need to try to see how high I can raise the temp and how long it will stay above 180 after it is in the cooling vessel.

I bet if you used a cfc or shell and tube exchanger and could get the wort up to 180 or above, it could pasteurize it(I know you probably need more time, etc)

I have both and a herms system. Maybe I need to try to see how high I can raise the temp and how long it will stay above 180 after it is in the cooling vessel.
I see what you mean. Looking at cooling overnight anyway in effort maintain the quick on-hands brew time. So a little warmer is no biggie.

Actually the ss strainers I use for "biab" are always cooler then the surrounding water. Maybe a possibility.

Has anyone tried to brew an all-grain No-Boil NEIPA? I'd be interested in tips/suggestions.

My plan is to heat the wort to 175 and just whirlpool the hops for 20-30 minutes, skipping the boil completely -- since there are no hops added during the boil. (I'll use 2-row for the base instead of my regular pilsner to help keep the DMS away.)

I've seen a lot of DME recipes, but I have to believe it would work with all-grain too, right? Or is there a reason most of the no-boil recipes are using DME? I'm not opposed to using DME (I recently made a partial mash BIAB with 1/2 DME & LME and it turned out good) -- it would certainly shorten my brew day.

Also not seeing LME in the no-boils, so I am guessing people are worried it won't mix in well enough or something?

I'm trying to dial-in my all-grain NEIPA, and I can't do a full boil on my kitchen stove (which I use in the winter). If I don't have to boil, then I bet I could get two kettles up to 175 and end up with 6 gallons into the fermenter.

Thoughts?
I have done a no boil NEIPA with Hornidal yeast and later did a boil version with same malt bill & yeast but different hops. My observation is that it is doable, BUT the malt backbone was more pronounced in the no-boil version (taste & aroma). Mouthfeel for the no-boil was slightly thicker but not overwhelming. No-boil was murky - Boil was hazy.

Brulosophy did an no-boil exbeeriment last summer that came back statistically significant that folks could tell a difference - http://brulosophy.com/2018/07/02/the-no-boil-effect-exbeeriment-results/

The preference of tasters was for the boiled version. Comparing my two batches - albeit brewed different days and different hops - I preferred the boiled version as well. I would surmise that the difference relates to the excess proteins & polyphenols still in solution due to lack of hot break and inability to separate those out of the no-boil.

Was the no-boil "drain pour"? absolutely not it was a very good beer.

Malt bill:

85% golden promise
10% flaked oats
3% Carafoam
2% honey malt

If I were to try this again I would simplify the malt bill more to eliminate the flaked oats due to the concentration of protein & polyphenols, and switch to more benign base malt:

95% two row
3% Carafoam
2% honey malt

Thanks @ttuato! That was kinda my experience with the no-boil specialty grain Porter from last year. I'm excited about the all DME/NEIPA room temp only experiment coming up but doing a traditional one today so might be a few weeks.

See this:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/the-lazy-german-raw-warm-fermented-pilsener/

I brew near ten No Boil BIAB All Grains batches and all is good (no infection, no DMS), but problem is stability, as applescrap said.
After only few weeks is turn bad.
I any have plan to drink very fast, this is OK.

Now, I brew batch with 5 minutes boil and FWH + Hopstand hops and this beers is turn very great. Better of any my No Boil beer.
I'll see what's going to happen after a month or two, if there's a bottle left.

Yes, proteins and polyphenols, etc...give the ag no boil a peculiar fresh flavor. Not bad, but definitely different. Very tasty, but also very raw. Raw seems a good term, raw ale. I remain curious if dme, based on its creation has as much of these features as well as the stability issue. I also remain curious if in actual fact dme tastes better not boiled. Pianoman does the dme no boil have that fresh protein polyphenol taste too?

Yes, proteins and polyphenols, etc...give the ag no boil a peculiar fresh flavor. Not bad, but definitely different. Very tasty, but also very raw. Raw seems a good term, raw ale. I remain curious if dme, based on its creation has as much of these features as well as the stability issue. I also remain curious if in actual fact dme tastes better not boiled. Pianoman does the dme no boil have that fresh protein polyphenol taste too?
I'm not 100% sure what polyphenol taste like. Astringent is what I got googling and non detected. I think I'm tasting sulfur in this lastest hefe batch. I used Pilsner DME. Might stick with Golden Light from now on.

I never boil dme when adding to brews. Always add at room temp. I use about 1lb in all my hard Lemonades and dark DME for RISs.

In my country DME is very expensive and I never try it. But, I think that for DME is enough to boil water only for dissolve DME and use Hopstand/Whirpool hop. Very like for Beer kit in can. DME is already boiled in fabric process and stability is not problem.

In this experiment kettle boil hop produce same result as Hopstand.

6 Lbs. Light DME
8 Oz. Special B
8 Oz. Aromatic
16 Oz. Midnight Wheat
(Steeped Grain @ 154F)
Belle Saison

I've done this with my past two AG sours. The first one turned out soooooo good. I mashed high (160F), sparged at about 170F and focused on built up dregs from Allagash (Coolship) and brett from Night Shift. Fermented with a low attenuating yeast to leave a lot for the LAB to work on. Results were SOUR. I love it plain but my wife can't handle without the woodruff syrup. Its my new go to method for quick sours, for sure.

No-Boil Hefe v4 completed. 3lbs DME golden/wheat. 1oz Sterling boiled for 5min. WLP300. 3.5gal RO. .5tsp Gypsum. .75tsp Calcium Chloride. 1ml Lactic Acid.

I'm thinking of brewing a 4 gal batch of the no boil NEIPA recipe in corny with a modified dip tube but have some quick questions. The 1/4 campden tablet is to disinfect the water, right? How long do you wait after adding the tablet before you mix in DME and CaCl?

My planned 4 gal recipe is
6lbs wheat DME,
Pitch Omega HotHead,
4 oz Simcoe whole cone (I have a lot that I need to use) after 2-3 ish days,
Then transfer to a serving keg once fermentation is done.

I'm thinking of brewing a 4 gal batch of the no boil NEIPA recipe in corny with a modified dip tube but have some quick questions. The 1/4 campden tablet is to disinfect the water, right? How long do you wait after adding the tablet before you mix in DME and CaCl?

My planned 4 gal recipe is
6lbs wheat DME,
Pitch Omega HotHead,
4 oz Simcoe whole cone (I have a lot that I need to use) after 2-3 ish days,
Then transfer to a serving keg once fermentation is done.
I personally don't use campdon which is to ellimate chorine I believe. I use RO water so I just add chemicals during mixing.

I'm kinda excited to see others success!

Last edited:
Cold brew. Expired by 2yrs Cooper Lager kit/yeast. Added dme and boiled Citra hops on the side. Fermented at room temp. Very drinkable! Amazed for sure. 20min total time
20190123_231200.jpeg

I personally don't use campdon which is to ellimate chorine I believe. I use RO water so I just add chemicals during mixing.

I'm kinda excited to see others success!

Copy, I use RO as well so I think I'll skip the campden and see what happens. Now I'm thinking of scaling it down to 2 gal just for an exbeeriment before I commit to a bigger batch. I have a few 2.5 gallon buckets I wouldn't miss if they somehow get infected. Lol

Copy, I use RO as well so I think I'll skip the campden and see what happens. Now I'm thinking of scaling it down to 2 gal just for an exbeeriment before I commit to a bigger batch. I have a few 2.5 gallon buckets I wouldn't miss if they somehow get infected. Lol
That's everyones major concern. After numerous no boil hard lemonades/limeade, cold brew ciders, and now cold brew beers, infections are no longer a concern. Sanitize the **** out of everything and you'll be fine. Many many craft beer snobs and judges have tasted my brews without a single mention of any kind of infections. Be brave!! [emoji16]

Just completed a cold brew Belgian Saison IPA. Boiled 1oz Ekuanot for 2min, added 4lbs golden light and 3lbs wheat dme, 3oz cyro hops, and used Bella Saison yeast in 3.75gal RO. Some gypsum/CaCl/Lactic Acid also. Will not dry hop so see what happens...

Last edited:
I just finished a no-boil AG Berliner Weisse.
4 lbs Pilsen
3 lbs Wheat
Kaiser G02 yeast
80 mins @149*f
10 mins @179*f
Kettle soured 3 days with L. Plantarum to ph 3.4.
Reheated to 180*f for 15 mins
.5oz Sorachi Ace
.5oz hellertau middlefrau
Both at 15 mins with Yeast nutrient
Cooled to 65*f
Pitched starter or kaiser G02
Currently fermenting at 60*

Just completed a cold brew Belgian Saison IPA. Boiled 1oz Ekuanot for 2min, added 4lbs golden light and 3lbs wheat dme, 3oz cyro hops, and used Bella Saison yeast in 3.75gal RO. Some gypsum/CaCl/Lactic Acid also. Will not dry hop so see what happens...[/QUOTE]
Can’t wait to see how this turns out! Please keep us updated!

That's everyones major concern. After numerous no boil hard lemonades/limeade, cold brew ciders, and now cold brew beers, infections are no longer a concern. Sanitize the **** out of everything and you'll be fine. Many many craft beer snobs and judges have tasted my brews without a single mention of any kind of infections. Be brave!! [emoji16]

Just completed a cold brew Belgian Saison IPA. Boiled 1oz Ekuanot for 2min, added 4lbs golden light and 3lbs wheat dme, 3oz cyro hops, and used Bella Saison yeast in 3.75gal RO. Some gypsum/CaCl/Lactic Acid also. Will not dry hop so see what happens...

Well, I was ready to try the no boil today and realized I need to make a starter. Dang it. I think I'll go back to my 4 gallon ferment in a corny plan and try it next week.

Keep us posted on the saison. How much water did you boil the hops in? Interested to see how much bitter will come from it.

Well, I was ready to try the no boil today and realized I need to make a starter. Dang it. I think I'll go back to my 4 gallon ferment in a corny plan and try it next week.

Keep us posted on the saison. How much water did you boil the hops in? Interested to see how much bitter will come from it.
Less then quart more then a pint to be precise. [emoji6] Started bubbling away by late evening.

Grabbing this from another site. Also, cold crashed my Cold Brew Belgian IPA. Should be kegged/sampled by end of day.

tapatalk_1549116939234.jpeg

This Belgian IPA kegged today is fracking awesome!! Don't know how long it'll last before oxygenation but another notch in the cold brew process! This will be sent out next week to craft beer aficionados. Let's see others' successes!

Can’t wait to see how this turns out! Please keep us updated![/QUOTE]

Can NOT Wait for yours! Mine is really good out of the gates. Thinking Ekuanot next time myself.

Last edited:
No-Boil French Saison (not brewed)
2lbs - DME Pilsner
2lbs - DME wheat
1.5oz - Tettnang (15min)
.5oz. - Tettnang (5min)
1pk - WLP590 French Saison Yeast
RO - 3.25gallons
ABV - 4.5% (1.045 - 1.011)
IBU - 27

Even my relatively short 4 hour brew day gets avoided too often.

On the list. Love saisons. Always thought there should be a quicker way to brew a saison. I mean, farmers did and they have a crap load to do. THanks for the thread @PianoMan. When I finally brew it I'll update.

Pianoman check out my recipe for daddys orchard aka (daddy juice). Haha, its no boil, its no fuss as a mf. I take sams club gallons of juice pour a little out. No need to put in your fermenter. The only thing anyone is going to do pulling this out of the factory clean container is going to cause harm and oxygen. Pour a little out, put yeast in and nutrient. I put cap back on loose. Could rig an airlock with a bung. Ferment and back sweeten with organic black cherry juice. Turns out 1 quart to 1 g is perfect.

I could use a little help calculating alcohol . It is juice with no sugar added and then diluted with one quart to one gallon. Assuming that is one gallon of juice between 6 and 6 and a half percent I don't know what the alcohol then becomes. Either way it is a light drink. And hey, could be worse for you than drinking organic blackcherry juice. My wife actually does drink this.

Ifanybody makes it and likes it please comment on the recipe thread, Daddy's Orchard. View attachment 605516View attachment 605517View attachment 605518

I'm glad to see this. I've been making cider in the jug for a couple years now. I keep telling people all they need is juice and yeast to make something and they never go for it. I usually fruit them right in the jugs too if I find some interesting in season. Or put in a hibiscus tea. Love the color and light flavor of hibiscus.

I’ve been getting really great beers using a no-boil process with NEIPAs with a ton of flaked oats and a lengthy, hot whirlpool. The resulting beer is so creamy and soft in texture, it’s unlike any commercial beers I’ve tried. I’m sure it would not ship well — really seems like a draft-only kind of beer.
RenderedImage.jpg

Even my relatively short 4 hour brew day gets avoided too often.

On the list. Love saisons. Always thought there should be a quicker way to brew a saison. I mean, farmers did and they have a crap load to do. THanks for the thread @PianoMan. When I finally brew it I'll update.
Plan on a late spring brew. All kegs and spare boxes are loaded right now!

Back