No-Boil Recipes! New for 2019!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been getting really great beers using a no-boil process with NEIPAs with a ton of flaked oats and a lengthy, hot whirlpool. The resulting beer is so creamy and soft in texture, it’s unlike any commercial beers I’ve tried. I’m sure it would not ship well — really seems like a draft-only kind of beer.View attachment 611194
Could you present the specifics of your process? Live to hear it.

Man I so want to try this. I brew in my kitchen and steam is a killer.

I'll admit it.....I'm scared I'm wasting my time money and effort

Could you present the specifics of your process? Live to hear it.

The most recent batch was 8.5 lbs Golden Promise, with 3 lbs of rolled oats, .5 lbs honey malt, and 1.5 lbs 6-row just to boost my DP. I did a single infusion BIAB mash at 154° to hit my target of 1.067 or so, then pulled out the grains. Brought wort to 190° to sanitize, then cooled to 180° and whirlpooled 4 oz of Idaho-7 for 30 minutes (I direct fire to hold this temp). Cooled to 160°, and whirlpooled with another 4 oz of Idaho-7 for 20 minutes before dropping to 70°, racking to pressure fermenter, and pitching Sacch Trois. After 24 hours I opened the fermenter, dropped in 6 oz of Idaho-7, and fermented at around 20 psi at room temp (72-ish). After 6 more days, pressure transferred to a purged keg.

I’m brewing something similar now, but I reduced the whirlpool addition size and temp (5 oz of Azacca at 160°), since this batch was quite bitter.

I'm going to try another cold brew IPA.

Same 3lbs golden light/wheat DME. But using Omega DIPA "Connan" and Safale05 mix. 1oz Citra/Ekuanot cryo and 1oz regular Simcoe. Add a bit more RO. Belgian IPA was a little thick.

Believe my Belgian IPA got infected. LHBS dudes sensed something at the back end. There is something there. Will thoroughly clean the buck on this next IPA attempt.

@PianoMan
Love the thread, I was wondering if you could give us more description on your hop tea, water volume, boil time etc. Have you any idea of the ibus extracted.
Have you tried isomrised hop extract?
I make a lot of session meads and have found it hard to go back to a full length brew day.

@PianoMan
Love the thread, I was wondering if you could give us more description on your hop tea, water volume, boil time etc. Have you any idea of the ibus extracted.
Have you tried isomrised hop extract?
I make a lot of session meads and have found it hard to go back to a full length brew day.
This thread, at least for me, is about making a good beer quickly. So hop boiling times are short, if at all. This next IPA, I'll heat to 175, add dme then chill and add hops while chilling. No plans on dry hopping. The Hefeweisens are great. Meads seem good. Hard Lemonades are great. IDK what happened with the Belgian IPA. It had to be during the fermentation process as both the keg and bottling process got it. Next one today...

This thread, at least for me, is about making a good beer quickly. So hop boiling times are short, if at all. This next IPA, I'll heat to 175, add dme then chill and add hops while chilling. No plans on dry hopping. The Hefeweisens are great. Meads seem good. Hard Lemonades are great. IDK what happened with the Belgian IPA. It had to be during the fermentation process as both the keg and bottling process got it. Next one today...

Interesting — I’m experimenting with my all grain no boil mashes not so much for expedience, but for a creamy mouthfeel I’ve been noticing in these brews. Just kegged another one (this one fruited as well), and intrigued to see how it comes out.

Interesting — I’m experimenting with my all grain no boil mashes not so much for expedience, but for a creamy mouthfeel I’ve been noticing in these brews. Just kegged another one (this one fruited as well), and intrigued to see how it comes out.
Do you mess with water chemistry? I do full traditional mashes/90min boils also. Got my water chemistry down so I get smooth brews out of it every time.

Also, I'm going with MUCH less hops and introducing cold in the IPAs. As you noticed, even whirlpool additions will add a lot of bitterness. Cold introduced cryo hops is my new methode to experiment with.

Do you mess with water chemistry? I do full traditional mashes/90min boils also. Got my water chemistry down so I get smooth brews out of it every time.

Also, I'm going with MUCH less hops and introducing cold in the IPAs. As you noticed, even whirlpool additions will add a lot of bitterness. Cold introduced cryo hops is my new methode to experiment with.

I generally treat for chlorine/chloramine, add calcium chloride and gypsum, and then adjust pH. Nothing too fancy.

One thing I’m finding with my very oat-y no-boils is that hops particles just seem to stay in suspension indefinitely. I’m adjusting my process to try to keep hops out of the serving keg as much as possible, since they’re not really dropping out even after weeks at serving temp.

I generally treat for chlorine/chloramine, add calcium chloride and gypsum, and then adjust pH. Nothing too fancy.

One thing I’m finding with my very oat-y no-boils is that hops particles just seem to stay in suspension indefinitely. I’m adjusting my process to try to keep hops out of the serving keg as much as possible, since they’re not really dropping out even after weeks at serving temp.
Rack from your primary, through a muslin bag in the keg...works for me.

Rack from your primary, through a muslin bag in the keg...works for me.

I’m doing closed transfers for these beers, but with a floating dip tube. The hops just don’t seem to be dropping at all (probably because the oat starch has formed a bit of a colloid), so no amount of careful racking will help. This latest batch even had only whole hops in the whirlpool, but a couple oz of cryo in the fermenter.

planning on trying a no-boil hefeweizen this weekend. I have 3 lbs pilsner DME, 3 lbs what DME, and 1 oz. of tettenanger pellets. Has anyone seen a formula for boil time vs. IBUs for a pure-water hop extract? Trying to target 10 IBUs, but I don't know how to calculate alpha acid extraction in water instead of wort.

Or should I just get a Hop Shot syringe? https://www.midwestsupplies.com/hopshot
This says 1 mL gives 10 IBUs in 5 gallons of wort. As long as I'm making the EasyMac&Cheese, I might as well cut as many corners as possible!

edit: apparently the HopShot must still be boiled, which defeats the purpose. I have read of "pre-isomerized hop extract" but having trouble finding anyone online who sells it.

Last edited:
Can’t wait to see how this turns out! Please keep us updated!

Can NOT Wait for yours! Mine is really good out of the gates. Thinking Ekuanot next time myself.[/QUOTE]

My no boil Berliner Weisse came out amazing. It’s very “approachable” no dms, malty flavors are there but, not over powering, sourness is tart but not mouth puckering, it’s a really solid beer I wish I would have submitted it in my recent Homebrew competition.

planning on trying a no-boil hefeweizen this weekend. I have 3 lbs pilsner DME, 3 lbs what DME, and 1 oz. of tettenanger pellets. Has anyone seen a formula for boil time vs. IBUs for a pure-water hop extract? Trying to target 10 IBUs, but I don't know how to calculate alpha acid extraction in water instead of wort.

Or should I just get a Hop Shot syringe? https://www.midwestsupplies.com/hopshot
This says 1 mL gives 10 IBUs in 5 gallons of wort. As long as I'm making the EasyMac&Cheese, I might as well cut as many corners as possible!

edit: apparently the HopShot must still be boiled, which defeats the purpose. I have read of "pre-isomerized hop extract" but having trouble finding anyone online who sells it.
I just boil my hops for a couple min in a pint of RO. Comes out great!

Last edited:
Can NOT Wait for yours! Mine is really good out of the gates. Thinking Ekuanot next time myself.

Congrats! Gaining evidence for a vaild brewing technique. Was going to enter the cold brew hefe in the nationals, but about 10x over the beer budget this month with 3 trades.

Ok you just made me check. Sampled and it tastes like Voodoo Ranger Haze. Not bad so far. Light in flavor but no weird off flavors this time.

Last edited:
Cold Brew NEIPA. Transferred to keg yesterday. Not infected. Drinkable for sure, at least today.
20190216_203825.jpeg

This was a 100% cold room temp brew.

My no boil NEIPAs have involved heating the wort to 190° or so after the mash to sanitize, then whirlpooling hops usually at two different temps (e.g., 180° and 140°) to get some IBUs and flavor. It seems like it would be challenging to get there with no heat at all.

My no boil NEIPAs have involved heating the wort to 190° or so after the mash to sanitize, then whirlpooling hops usually at two different temps (e.g., 180° and 140°) to get some IBUs and flavor. It seems like it would be challenging to get there with no heat at all.
Did you use dme/lme only? Or grain?

If i'll manage to get hold on some fresh and high quality wheat extract, I will try a Weissbier. Should be simple enough, just needs the right yeast, in this case munich classic from lallemand. 15 Ibu from Saaz and Magnum in water.... should be a half an hour brew day.

Change of plans. Doing a Belgian Blonde and whatever with free WLP644 packs. Cold mash happening now with 12oz aromatic/honey malt.
20190223_131843.jpeg

Just brewed my third no-boil NEIPA. This was Golden Promise and 2.5 lbs of flaked oats, mashed to around 1.060, then heated to 180 and whirlpooled for 40 minutes with 5 oz of Mosaic. Into the fermenting keg with 3 oz of Mosaic and 3 oz of Azacca, with a big pitch of Sacch Trois, along with a quart of passion fruit purée and two quarts of mango purée.

Just brewed my third no-boil NEIPA. This was Golden Promise and 2.5 lbs of flaked oats, mashed to around 1.060, then heated to 180 and whirlpooled for 40 minutes with 5 oz of Mosaic. Into the fermenting keg with 3 oz of Mosaic and 3 oz of Azacca, with a big pitch of Sacch Trois, along with a quart of passion fruit purée and two quarts of mango purée.
Sounds intriguing! Add lactose for a Milkshake. [emoji6] Please keep us informed and consider the Fellowship of the Home Brew trade threads for sharing.

Sounds intriguing! Add lactose for a Milkshake. [emoji6] Please keep us informed and consider the Fellowship of the Home Brew trade threads for sharing.

I had lactose in the last one and it pushed it a bit too far into the sweet side. I can always dose the keg if needed (I set up a jumper for connecting a soda bottle with a carbonation cap to the liquid post of the serving keg).

How could I possibly forget this No-Boil recipe. Hard Lemonade.

View attachment 607017
@PianoMan - I'm definitely trying this recipe out once it starts to warm up in the upper Midwest. Thanks for sharing. A few questions:

Have you made it without adding fruit or concentrate? How did it turn out?

Your last sentence says, enjoy immediately...how immediately? What kind of shelf life do you think these bad boys can handle without off flavors?

I bottle still...the amount of sugar at bottling is more than I'm used to with my normal beer recipes. Will 3 cups of sugar and 3 cans of concentrate create potential for bottle bombs?

Sorry for all the questions but nothing sounds better than a hard lemonade while sitting by the pool as I daydream about no snow in the months ahead!

@PianoMan - I'm definitely trying this recipe out once it starts to warm up in the upper Midwest. Thanks for sharing. A few questions:

Have you made it without adding fruit or concentrate? How did it turn out?

Your last sentence says, enjoy immediately...how immediately? What kind of shelf life do you think these bad boys can handle without off flavors?

I bottle still...the amount of sugar at bottling is more than I'm used to with my normal beer recipes. Will 3 cups of sugar and 3 cans of concentrate create potential for bottle bombs?

Sorry for all the questions but nothing sounds better than a hard lemonade while sitting by the pool as I daydream about no snow in the months ahead!
I started out making many batches without fruit. It all good for sure. Fruit just takes these to a new level. But yes, about doubles the cost.

I enjoy what's left in the fermenter (secondary) after kegging. Goes in a glass w/ice! Even if it's 8am!!

Bottle Bombs are a REAL concern! This brew is one reason I started kegging. It's not so much the sugers as the yeast. Ensure there's as little as possible. 1st ferment completely for 21days at least. Then cold crash for 2 days at 50F. Transfer to secondary, add potassium sorbate, then crash again for another 2 days, transfer to bottling bucket then add more PS before adding the backsweetening/bottling. You should be safe. May not have carbonation but you'll be safe.

Good luck and let us lnow your results!

I started out making many batches without fruit. It all good for sure. Fruit just takes these to a new level. But yes, about doubles the cost.

I enjoy what's left in the fermenter (secondary) after kegging. Goes in a glass w/ice! Even if it's 8am!!

Bottle Bombs are a REAL concern! This brew is one reason I started kegging. It's not so much the sugers as the yeast. Ensure there's as little as possible. 1st ferment completely for 21days at least. Then cold crash for 2 days at 50F. Transfer to secondary, add potassium sorbate, then crash again for another 2 days, transfer to bottling bucket then add more PS before adding the backsweetening/bottling. You should be safe. May not have carbonation but you'll be safe.

Good luck and let us lnow your results!
Great. Thanks for the quick reply! I will let you know for sure! Any guess on shelf life?

57354496348__B1A66402-8A7A-4B87-BA03-01E19A669694.JPG

Most recent no-boil hazy IPA. This one had 3/4 gallon of mango and passionfruit puree (this was the first pour from the keg, so there is a bit of fruit sediment).

Came out really pleasant — dry and tart from the fermented fruit, and a nice pungent hop aroma from the 12 oz of Mosaic and Azacca in the whirlpool and dry hop.

Grain bill was 9 lbs of Golden Promise and 3 lbs of flaked oats, mashed at 152 and heated to 190, then whirlpooled with 6 oz of hops for an hour at 180.

View attachment 616195

Most recent no-boil hazy IPA. This one had 3/4 gallon of mango and passionfruit puree (this was the first pour from the keg, so there is a bit of fruit sediment).

Came out really pleasant — dry and tart from the fermented fruit, and a nice pungent hop aroma from the 12 oz of Mosaic and Azacca in the whirlpool and dry hop.

Grain bill was 9 lbs of Golden Promise and 3 lbs of flaked oats, mashed at 152 and heated to 190, then whirlpooled with 6 oz of hops for an hour at 180.
Congratulations! Puree out of the can? I've only used Raspberry puree and not a fan. What hops did you use?

Congratulations! Puree out of the can? I've only used Raspberry puree and not a fan. What hops did you use?

This was using a frozen product called Fruit In Hand (the fruit was also no-boil, I guess!). Hops were Azacca in the kettle and Mosaic in the fermenter.

Back