Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my first year entering beers into NHC. If judging ends tomorrow, when should we expect results? My beers were entered into NYC region.

Results aren’t posted until a week or so after all areas are done. Tampa for instance isn’t until next week.

And that's assuming they finished. There is a ton of work that goes into this comp and if they don't have enough judges, they may have to finish up the following weekend. Philly also judged this past weekend so they may have split the judging pool for the area.

Anyone know if NY finished this weekend?

Judging from comments online it would appear yes NY finished. Portland and San Diego did too. Not sure about others, but the site does say "verifying results" for both Philly and Denver too.

I hope I'm wrong, but I swear I remember in previous years the status sitting on "verifying results" for up to a week. That said, I'm crossing my fingers that I'm wrong and results start popping up later today and over the next couple days.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/national-homebrew-competition/dates-deadlines/

April 27 at the latest looks like the deadline. But it looks like once the scoresheets are scanned and entered for each location the results may be posted. Scanning is a pretty time consuming job and may take a few hours a night for a week.

My club runs a 600 entry competition and it takes 2 guys scanning and filing for the entire 2 days of the competition plus scanning as we go during the weekends leading up to the final weekend to get it done by the awards banquet.

Last year it was about a week, except for a couple regions that didn't finish on time. I believe Philly still had some entries from the weekend but were expecting to have them done by next weekend.

There were also 5 regions judging this weekend, so the AHA folks will need time to get them into their database. Sure beats the time when they would hold all the results until each region was done.

Got my email from the AHA yesterday saying judging has been completed. I would expect middle to end of next week for results to be posted.

Philly is judging at 9am today and only have 4 tables to finish, so by next weekend for them I would guess too

Got my email from the AHA yesterday saying judging has been completed. I would expect middle to end of next week for results to be posted.

Philly is judging at 9am today and only have 4 tables to finish, so by next weekend for them I would guess too

How do you know they're judging today? I got the Philly e-mail yesterday that judging was complete.

IMG_7801.jpg

Just going by the what the website has said for past few days.

Yeah, I saw that too but also got an email from the organizer asking for judges to help finish judging today. Just wanted to let Philly entrants know to expect a bit of a longer wait for their results.

It can happen anywhere, really. It just depends on how many judges they can get to come out. Bigger metros like Philly and NYC usually have a lot more judges than some of the smaller regions.

I've judged Philly the past few years and this is the first time this has happened that I can remember.

So it’s probably likely it’s the same story in NYC. Next year I guess I’ll enter in a smaller venue.
In terms of entries..... all the venues are the same size. Theoretically, the bigger areas should have more judges available and this should be less of a problem in those areas.

Octoberfest
ESB
American Amber
Specialty Cider

I doubt I'll rebrew if anything gets through...just don't have the space or time to brew new batches.

I'm in the KC region...they aren't even judging until this weekend. They getting a head start on some today, but I've got a week to wait for results regardless.
I normally enter the KC region (even though I'm in NH) because I've always done well there and in the KCBM comp. The late date was part of the reason I didn't enter there.

I normally enter the KC region (even though I'm in NH) because I've always done well there and in the KCBM comp. The late date was part of the reason I didn't enter there.

I didn't know the dates. This is my first time and I just entered the nearby venues to possible hand deliver. Ultimately, the way my IPA turned out, it wasn't worth hand delivering (long story there...but literally my first bad beer due to circumstances out of my control). The other is a blonde and it just wasn't that big a deal to delivery that "fresh". Especially when judging was 3 weeks after the delivery deadline.

I'm in the KC region...they aren't even judging until this weekend. They getting a head start on some today, but I've got a week to wait for results regardless.
Yeah - same here. I already did a rebrew on 2 and will do another this week regardless. The 4th is a dark mild, so I can wait on that a bit anyway. The other 3 are ones I like having on tap all the time anyway, so I just plan the rebrew in and if they make it, great. If not, I was going to be drinking it anyway.

One of mine got 1st. 1st comp ever entered. Now I just need to make time to brew soon. Needs time to lager.

Anyone ever enter beer from the same batch if your second batch didn't come out good?

I've entered and won in Finals with first round lagers when I liked them better than the fresher stuff.

I've entered and won in Finals with first round lagers when I liked them better than the fresher stuff.
This batch was odd. From the keg it didn't turn out exactly like I wanted. Hazy and not as bready as I want. I bottled from the keg. 2 for the entry and 1 extra so I could try it. I cracked it open Saturday and loved it and there wasn't much haze at all. I wonder if there is a small amount of yeast sitting on the bottom of the keg that I keep pulling up. With the bottle, you pour from the top and can leave the yeast on the bottom. I'd think after most of the keg is gone it would pull away the yeast but maybe not.

Anyway, I'll have to brew soon and just taste both to see what I like better. Excited to see the scoresheet

Wanted to be in Philly region with the other guys in my club so we could group ship, but listed alternative sites and got sent to Chicago which does not even start judging until this coming weekend. But re-brewing two of the 4 beers I sent next week, since by time Chicago results are posted it will probably be May. Have a Helles, American Light Lager, Czech Dark and Schwarzbier in. Schwarz made finals last year and scored a 40.5 but did not medal.

Yeah - same here. I already did a rebrew on 2 and will do another this week regardless. The 4th is a dark mild, so I can wait on that a bit anyway. The other 3 are ones I like having on tap all the time anyway, so I just plan the rebrew in and if they make it, great. If not, I was going to be drinking it anyway.

I'm holding off. It's right on the edge, timing wise, for the beer that turned out the best, but I'm pretty new to this, so odds of making through are slim. The one that I like the best (for past batches) ran into a diacetyl issue, so it'll be in the teens for scores I'm sure.

Back