Newbie needs advice. Fermenting ended too early.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEDJARRETT

Reaction score
I am new to homebrewing. My first batch was a light ale that turned out good. I am now on my second batch, but having fermenting issues.
This second batch is a Brewer's Best IPA kit. Two things I did differently this time were 1) instead of using the dry yeast that came with the kit, I used Wyeast liquid yeast #1272 "American Ale II", and 2) before pitching the yeast I oxygenated the wort with pure oxygen through a stone for 2 minutes.The next day, fermentation was furious. My airlock filled with foam, so I switched to a tube in a quart size bottle with water in the bottom. That later overflowed, so I switched the tube into a larger pitcher with water in the bottom. On the second day, fermentation slowed, so I switched back to a clean sanitized airlock. It was bubbling steadily, and all seemed fine. (I probably lost a half gallon of beer to overflow). Today, the third day, fermentation has stopped completely. Any ideas on what went wrong? And is this batch ruined? Fermenting in a basement closet at 70-72 degrees.
Thanks, Steve.

It sounds about right. Usually the most active period of fermentation is over in 2-3 days, especially if it's warm. The thing to do now is to just wait a week and then use your hydrometer to check and make sure it's done fermenting.

Thanks for bearing with me guys. I am new to this.
My original gravity was 1.055. I just took a reading (just under 3 days) and it is at 1.018.
Everything I read says that fermenting is done if the final gravity is 1/3 to 1/4 of the original gravity. That means I would be done somewhere between 1.014 and 1.019, which is where I'm at right now. The instruction sheet for this kit says OG of 1.061-1.065 and FG of 1.014-1.017. Sounds like fermenting is done. Could that be possible in under 3 days? If so, where do I go from here? I have a secondary. When should I transfer the beer into it?
Thanks again.
Steve

Thanks for bearing with me guys. I am new to this.
My original gravity was 1.055. I just took a reading (just under 3 days) and it is at 1.018.
Everything I read says that fermenting is done if the final gravity is 1/3 to 1/4 of the original gravity. That means I would be done somewhere between 1.014 and 1.019, which is where I'm at right now. The instruction sheet for this kit says OG of 1.061-1.065 and FG of 1.014-1.017. Sounds like fermenting is done. Could that be possible in under 3 days? If so, where do I go from here? I have a secondary. When should I transfer the beer into it?
Thanks again.
Steve

it's totally normal. the good o2 levels helped it kick off and the warm temps helped it finish fast. for now you should leave it be until it starts to drop clear. you can do that in primary as well as secondary. don't move the beer to secondary if you chose to go that route, until after you have stable FG readings over 3 or more days.

Yep you fermented a little warm, so it went fast. No harm done. I would still keep it in primary for at least the rest of the week. Then secondary if you want, but a secondary is strictly optional. I usually skip secondary unless I am brewing a lager or a really big beer.

I am new to homebrewing. My first batch was a light ale that turned out good. I am now on my second batch, but having fermenting issues.
This second batch is a Brewer's Best IPA kit. Two things I did differently this time were 1) instead of using the dry yeast that came with the kit, I used Wyeast liquid yeast #1272 "American Ale II", and 2) before pitching the yeast I oxygenated the wort with pure oxygen through a stone for 2 minutes.The next day, fermentation was furious. My airlock filled with foam, so I switched to a tube in a quart size bottle with water in the bottom. That later overflowed, so I switched the tube into a larger pitcher with water in the bottom. On the second day, fermentation slowed, so I switched back to a clean sanitized airlock. It was bubbling steadily, and all seemed fine. (I probably lost a half gallon of beer to overflow). Today, the third day, fermentation has stopped completely. Any ideas on what went wrong? And is this batch ruined? Fermenting in a basement closet at 70-72 degrees.
Thanks, Steve.

No, the ferment didn't stop completely, but it went from where the yeast were gorging on sugars to where they were doing the cleanup, eating the byproducts of the fast ferment. This takes a bit longer and it gives no outward signs like a bubbling airlock. There is nothing wrong at this point. All you need to do is relax and let the yeast have time to finish the job. Another 10 days will help your beer a lot.

Back