New mash tun kettle filtering options...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clankenbrew

Reaction score
I'm swapping out my cooler tun for a 25g kettle and was wondering was the consensus is on best mash filters.
I run a 30a panel with RIMS.

Some say false bottom but I can't seem to find a 20" bottom that's domed and has small <3/32 holes.
I've heard about people wrapping their false bottoms with a paint filter of sorts which IMO sounds like a pain in the A.

I'm looking for something maybe like a fine wire mesh on a frame that fits snug in my kettle. Like a flour sieve.. I guess.

Just don't want to spend the money and have it turn out not exactly what I'm looking for.

I've had two Jaybird false bottoms and never had issues. http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Conversion_Kettle.html
(also a thread in the vendor showcase)

BIAB with a pulley is a nice (cheap and easy too) setup too if you're wanting to go that route.

And you don't have to deal with a stuck sparge. However, with your RIMS system the recirculation needs to be slow or you can plug up the bag. To counter that, you can mill fine, reduce the mash time and forget the RIMS as the temperature will be pretty stable if you increase the amount of water for the mash.

Back