Converting to 3 Kettle Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am on your same line of thinking of not wanting to deal with a herms coil, effectively cleaning it, or dealing with the dead volume. The solution I ended up with was an SS Brewtech mash tun with an upgraded heater. I have documented my upgrade path in the thread linked below. It holds mash temps dead on and can even effectively raise mash temps. I bought my mash tun used for 1/2 MSRP, you can usually find them here in the classifieds section or on FB Marketplace.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/ss-brewtech-infussion-mash-tun-custom-heater.730622/

I know grains cost far less the $1,000 that the added mash tun, false bottom, extra pump, temp control and heating element will cost me but I work in a world that all about efficiencies so I just love the idea of getting better
But didn't you just prove that you don't need to spend the money to get that extra efficiency?

If you built/bought yourself a table with wheels it would greatly help you in your overall brew day as far as time. Keeping in mind that you might convert from gas to electric at some point would be a good consideration. Fabricated gas stands tend to be more skeleton like but a stainless steel table might be an option. Most stainless tables are a bit tall for brewing but you can sometimes cut the legs down. On mine, I was able to cut the tops of the legs so that the wheel mounts inside the legs weren't cut off. I went a little too wide on mine at 72", 60" would have worked just fine, minimum 48" for 3 keggles. Depth of mine is 24" a minimum of 18" could work. My panel is on an arm so you'd want to consider future controller mounting as well. And I mention stainless vs. wood because you have burners and spills happen all the time. Not saying one can't be done in wood but stainess is easier to keep clean.

I often see people including setup time in their brew day estimates and I get that not everyone has a garage but you do! It's not too much of a footprint if you utilize the space underneath plus with wheels you can move it where you want to store it quick and easy.

Back