Need help right now, Priming sugar for 20L batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ingvaroo

Reaction score
Hey guys im about to bottle now, and this will be the first time i do a priming soution, how much sugar is needed for 20 L pilsner style ?

Do i boil water, add sugar and cool it ?

Any help is very much appreciated ! :)

I think it varies by style but it's about 1.5 tsp per 12 oz bottle. I'll let you do the math. ;)

Yes, boil water, add sugar, let cool.

Getting mixed results, how much is 12 oz in litres ? Im getting from 320ml-360ml so im not sure....

Edit, So your telling me its 1.5tsp per 350ml ? wow i've been undercarbonating my beer all this time.....
Always added 1tsp per 500ml -.-

Edit2; so its about 85tsp of sugar for whole batch ? o_O (i suck at math...)

I've seen lots of kits say to prime with 3/4 cup of priming sugar per 5 gallon batch. It's gets hairy talking about volumes since the US gallon is different than the UK gallon. It can make your head spin trying to keep things straight.

It sounds like you've been under carbing, depending on what your recipe calls for. 3/4 cup per 5 gallons is just a generalization.

EDIT : not saying you are from the UK, just highlighting one of the pitfalls when discussing volumes internationally...unless we all start using liters.

There are free calculators all over online. I just type into google "bottle priming calculator" and just pick one.

Yeah i got 4.8 oz wich is about 150 grams so imma try that, cant beleave i've been undercarbing for a year.....

I Suck !

I suggest doing a search for "priming sugar calculator". I just did and came up with quite a few. Look at some of them to see if they fit your situation (metric) and then bookmark the one that you like.

I use the one on Northern Brewer's website.

I also suggest mixing the sugar solution, bring it to a boil for 10 minutes, cool it and add to the bottling bucket. Then add siphon the beer so that it eddies in the bucket. This will mix it pretty well, I also stir it gently to make sure it is fully mixed in. This is much easier than measuring and adding to each bottle individually.

Back