Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greenland?
Quite a bit colder than you were with Scotland. I'll repeat - we're not looking at permafrost here.

Hmm, I was thinking beer related topics, but maybe geopolitical events is more like it. I don't see much for mountians in Ukraine so I'm thinking this is in Russia?
Depending on what part of Russia you're talking about - it's so huge that it would be anything from very cold to moderately warm.

But no, the connection is not topical for Russia, Ukraine, Greenland, Scotland - or NZ for that matter, since that came up earlier. But it is topical "for some of us" here, most I'd imagine.

1669325360965.png

are any of these connecting dots?

are any of these connecting dots?
Nope, you're being far too literal, the topicality is more indirect than that - and also extends to some across the pond.

We've established that North America, Greenland, Scotland and NZ are all very cold, whereas part of Russia would be getting closer, and it's not a permafrost kind of place so not polar-ish. A continent might be a good place to start?

Mont Blanc
Outeniqua Mountains in South Africa?
Two late ones go in but nope, nobody has been within 2000 miles of it so far.

Assuming we're taking midpoints of countries anyway, but Russia is so big you can go 1000 miles from its midpoint and not reach another country.

well that wouldn't put it between the center of russia and the border of mongolia though?
I didn't say it was between them, I just said that Mongolia is still a long way away, but Russia's midpoint is even further.

Which is another way of saying - it's south of Russia. Which doesn't really help that much!

The topicality extends beyond some Brits - but not Scots - to some across the pond.

So south of Russia are the various -stans, the area where some of the earliest human cultivation of grains occurred. Hence, beer, hence topicality to this forum.

Am I on to something?

So south of Russia are the various -stans, the area where some of the earliest human cultivation of grains occurred. Hence, beer, hence topicality to this forum.

Am I on to something?
Nope, although I often do beer-related questions, not this time. Nor would it explain why it's not relevant to the Scots....

Heh, I like how off the beaten track we're getting but no, not Kyrgyzstan (and cooler than Pakistan).

Anyway, you'll have to excuse me, I have some sport to watch...

Zagros are too old. That’s the hint I’m seizing on for now because I’m seeing very few mountain ranges younger than the Brooks Range.

wait i thought he said it was an older range that was older then the atlantic, was part of the appalacians, and some other old range in europe?

edit: i can't find the post now that said that though?

This is the comment I’m referring to. The Brooks are relatively young. So if younger than them, the pot is small.

i think NB edited a post, or deleted it....but i thought i read him saying this was a range related to the appalcians, and older then even the atlantic ocean forming?

As it happens, anywhere in Scotland would fail the "younger than the Brooks" test, all the mountains are old (and actually part of the same chain as Norway and the Appalachians, they were pushed up before the Atlantic opened). Scotland was covered in ice during the Ice Age, so most of the erosion was done by glaciers which tend to be more rounded than the gullies in my photo.

damn, he was saying...it wasn't that old! my mistake! :( :mug:

well there was a politcal thing that happened....

Zagros?
Now we're hot! Care to narrow it down for the win?

Anyway, you'll have to excuse me, I have some sport to watch...
I must admit I wasn't thinking so much of the politics, as the fact that the England, Wales and US (association) football teams are in the same World Cup group as Iran...
That's two gone in now, but both cold.
Two late ones go in but nope, nobody has been within 2000 miles of it so far.
...who scored two goals against England earlier in the week and then today scored twice against Wales in the final minutes of injury time
India would be relevant to Brits but not Scots no?
That would be a surprise to those of my Scottish ancestors who did their bit in the Raj. In fact Scots did a lot of the grunt work of empire building, particularly in the military and in railway engineering. Their one effort at independent empire building in Darien was such a disaster (the clue was in its other name, the Mosquito Coast) that it led to the union with England in 1707.

But they failed to qualify for this year's World Cup so are pointedly ignoring the current excitement of the Welsh and English for football.
This is the comment I’m referring to. The Brooks are relatively young. So if younger than them, the pot is small.
I did say I was going off Wikipedia which says the Brooks are 126Mya which is indeed relatively young, but the Zagros are babies, being pushed up maybe 30Mya (bit of debate about it, but people seem to be settling on the Miocene-ish, with some thinking late Cretaceous) although the rocks themselves are older.

Now we're hot! Care to narrow it down for the win?

I must admit I wasn't thinking so much of the politics, as the fact that the England, Wales and US (association) football teams are in the same World Cup group as Iran...

...who scored two goals against England earlier in the week and then today scored twice against Wales in the final minutes of injury time

That would be a surprise to those of my Scottish ancestors who did their bit in the Raj. In fact Scots did a lot of the grunt work of empire building, particularly in the military and in railway engineering. Their one effort at independent empire building in Darien was such a disaster (the clue was in its other name, the Mosquito Coast) that it led to the union with England in 1707.

But they failed to qualify for this year's World Cup so are pointedly ignoring the current excitement of the Welsh and English for football.

I did say I was going off Wikipedia which says the Brooks are 126Mya which is indeed relatively young, but the Zagros are babies, being pushed up maybe 30Mya (bit of debate about it, but people seem to be settling on the Miocene-ish, with some thinking late Cretaceous) although the rocks themselves are older.
Dena

Back