Moving Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbyRob

Reaction score
Alright I want to move to All Grain and I was looking at set ups for it but I need some help.

What are the pros and cons to electric boiling? I feel that would be the easiest way to set things ups but I wasn't sure if there were some effects from it. I was thinking of having a heating unit in one container that would filter onto the grains in a cooler. Then I would move the grains to another container with another heating unit to boil it. I know there's a forum dedicated to it but I wanted to hear opinions from people that do it and don't.

I'm also going to check the forum for some DYI grain mills but if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

I'll get the ball rolling. At least from a stove point of view, gas is great because it turn on faster and it turns off faster (which is nice to prevent boil overs).

I believe it is also cheaper, but that likely depends on your sources.

Also, no cords to trip over in your driveway.

On the other hand, I have never heard of someone's electricity running out, but people run out of gas all the time (unless they have a second tank on hand).

I'm sure there are a hundred more pros and cons.

I have never tried electric boiling, but I cannot imagine that it is simpler or easier. For gas boiling, you just need to buy a turkey fryer (that will come with a pot). You heat the strike water to the proper temp on the turkey fryer (I actually use my indoor stove because it can get water to 165 in no time and that lets me stay inside to finish my other prep). You then can use the turkey fryer to heat your sparge and mash out water, while the mash is going. You then use the same turkey fryer to boil the wort.

Back