American Wheat Beer Mosaic Honey Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question about the dry hop on this... OP says dry hop 4 days.

Does that mean 4 days short of the suggested 2 weeks, toss in the dry hops, and then confirm it's done, with FG readings, and package at the 2 week mark?

Or, let it go the 2 weeks, confirm with readings that it's done, then dry hop, and package about 4 days later?

(I've never dry hopped before)

Or does it matter? I'm assuming the intent here is to dry hop after FG is reached?

Question about the dry hop on this... OP says dry hop 4 days.

Does that mean 4 days short of the suggested 2 weeks, toss in the dry hops, and then confirm it's done, with FG readings, and package at the 2 week mark?

Or, let it go the 2 weeks, confirm with readings that it's done, then dry hop, and package about 4 days later?

(I've never dry hopped before)

Or does it matter? I'm assuming the intent here is to dry hop after FG is reached?

Either once FG is reached, or just before. The advantage of dry hopping while fermentation is ongoing is that yeast will continue to produce CO2, purging any oxygen you might introduce during the dry hop.

I brewed this recently. Did the dry hop 9 days after pitching yeast. Cold crashed 3 days after that. Packaged 5 days later. Typically I'd package sooner, but I had some stuff come up. Dry hops will impart less flavor to the beer at cold crash temperatures, so I typically count my dry hop in days before cold crash.

Also, I never bother checking FG until I package. Beer is always done, and taking samples for gravity readings only introduces oxygen.

If dry hopping once fg is reached, is there any downside to waiting longer before starting the dry hop?

Eg. Leave in primary for 2.5 weeks, or 3 weeks, then dryhop 4 days, then bottle.

Just dry hopped my batch (1 oz pellets in an ~ 3.25 gal batch, hoping for a decent hop aroma).

Plan is to leave the hops in (in a large bag) until Friday, pull them out and squeeze, then let the bucket sit overnight (may try to chill as much as I can overnight, I can't do an actual cold crash), and bottle Saturday morning.

Then the long, slow,wait for the first bottle sample. =) Excited!

So I'm only a week into bottle conditioning my first batch of this recipe but I couldn't resist trying the test bottle.

I put it in the fridge this morning and poured it a short short while ago.

So good! My best homebrew yet.

A nice citrus / tropical aroma, flavour a little sweet but mostly crisp and refreshing, and modest malty aftertaste.

IMG_2759.jpg

So I'm only a week unto bottle conditioning my first batch of this recipe but I couldn't resist trying the test bottle.

I put it in the fridge this morning and poured it a short short while ago.

So good! My best homebrew yet.

A nice citrus / tropical aroma, flavour a little sweet but mostly crisp and refreshing, and modest malty aftertaste.

Good job looks great. :mug:

I brewed this over two years ago and as we don't have honey malt here I subbed it with Abbey Malt. I also used some Amarillo.
It as very well received.

I was in America a few months ago and have everything to brew the original recipe now. Maybe next spring :tank:

I'm about 1.5 months post-bottling this brew and still have half a dozen bottles left, which have been stored in a dark, somewhat cool place (~60F ish... not really cool, but the best I can do for storage outside of the fridge).

The beer is still tasty, but I definitely have lost a good amount of the fruity dry hop aroma/flavour that it had when fresh.

Is that just the nature of the beast in bottle conditioned beer? Or is there a technique for prolonging the persistence of the dry hop character?

Perhaps increase the amount of dry hops used in the first place?

Going to try this recipe soon but i cant find honey malt near my house. I was thinking about changing it for rye malt, anyone tried it already? Better suggestion? Changing mosaic for galaxy too because i have a lot of galaxy already.

Going to try this recipe soon but i cant find honey malt near my house. I was thinking about changing it for rye malt, anyone tried it already? Better suggestion? Changing mosaic for galaxy too because i have a lot of galaxy already.

I've brewed this recipe at least 8 times now. The mosaic is the heart and soul of this beer, in my opinion. Galaxy is one of my favorite hops but I'd personally stick with the Mosaic. You could sub rye for the honey malt but it will change the makeup of the beer a good bit. If you can't find honey malt locally, I'd sub for a low lovibond crystal malt.

I've brewed this recipe at least 8 times now. The mosaic is the heart and soul of this beer, in my opinion. Galaxy is one of my favorite hops but I'd personally stick with the Mosaic. You could sub rye for the honey malt but it will change the makeup of the beer a good bit. If you can't find honey malt locally, I'd sub for a low lovibond crystal malt.

Thanks for the advice, so i'm going to buy some mosaic and use crystal malt besides rye one. :tank:

Thanks for the advice, so i'm going to try with crystal malt and mosaic.

Thanks for the advice, so i'm going to try with crystal malt and mosaic.

The more I think about it, melanoidin malt is another option as a sub. Or even better, a combination of melanoidin and crystal 10L. Maybe 50/50 or 75/25 melanoidin/crystal. There's no direct substitute for honey malt but the combination will get you close.

Brewing this as i type, mash almost done. Same grain bill as op with 2oz of acid malt added. Adding some cascade to the whirlpool and dryhop as some mosaic only beers can taste a little cloying to me.

Decided to brew a wheat for spring and to play with mosaic, but it did not last that long.
Hard to describe, but tastes like a sweeter passion fruit/guava american hefeweizen that has been a hit with everyone that has tried it. Defiantly more of a hop forward beer (but not bitter hoppy), the wheat comes through but just hints at it.
Took it to a brew share a few weeks ago, the brew shop owners wife that doesn't drink malted beverages (cider lover) tried some and had me brew them a 5 gallon batch. So it has it's appeals!

4lb - Great western 2-row
4lb - Great western wheat malt
1lb - Gambrinus honey malt
-----
Mash : 152* 60 Minutes
-----
.25oz Mosaic @ FWH (60 minute boil)
.75oz Mosaic @15
1oz Mosaic @0 (steep for 10 minutes to let everything settle)
-----
Ferment with S-05 @65* for 2 weeks
Kegged and hit it with 10PSI for another week and started enjoying it. Gets better with time, but it's highly drinkable very quickly.

First time posting a recipe. Apologies if i forgot something.
:EDIT: IBU says 5, which isn't true, that is the SRM, the IBU is 25

At the time you made this do you know the alpha of the hops? My batch is a 12% sounds high.

This beer scored a 36 and got an honorable mention in a recent event, common criticism was low carbonation (i bottle off the keg and this was a bit rushed, i was worried about this) and needed better head retention.
This is a really nice beer, very enjoyable as we enter spring time.

l8s4ysOEj2TQuBDX2
hmm just made this about two weeks ago. I have never seen beer look like this any ideas. My only thought is my mash tun did a bad job and it's grain. Smelled like eggs a bit..

Thanks for the recipe it turned out great despite a mistake on my part. The scale was acting funky at the LHBS and accidentally shorted myself 3 lbs of wheat for a 10 gal batch. Everything else stayed the same and ended up at 1.047. Definitely gonna rebrew this in the summer with the correct amount of wheat.

I used the original water profile but I think I might tone down the sulfate to 150 or so. Getting a slight bitterness that could use some mellowing but that might be from the missing wheat. Did anyone else change the water?

Thanks for the recipe it turned out great despite a mistake on my part. The scale was acting funky at the LHBS and accidentally shorted myself 3 lbs of wheat for a 10 gal batch. Everything else stayed the same and ended up at 1.047. Definitely gonna rebrew this in the summer with the correct amount of wheat.

I used the original water profile but I think I might tone down the sulfate to 150 or so. Getting a slight bitterness that could use some mellowing but that might be from the missing wheat. Did anyone else change the water?

I've brewed this recipe a bunch of times and have tried the original water profile, as well as a few others. I've settling in on the Bru'n Water Yellow Balanced profile for it.

I've brewed this recipe a bunch of times and have tried the original water profile, as well as a few others. I've settling in on the Bru'n Water Yellow Balanced profile for it.
Thanks I'll give that a shot next time

I was thinking 2 oz as well. I have the grains and will be brewing within the next month.

would the 2oz dry hop make it a bit less accessible to your normal beer drinker or will the extra mosaic add a bit more perceived sweetness and make it even more drinkable?
I plan on brewing it this Summer too for a garden party.
I got a pound of Honey malt the last time I was in the States especially for this beer.
Last time I use weyermann Abbey malt and it turned out good.
I also used Castle Pale Malt instead of American 2-Row, this time I'm going to try Golden promise as it's a bit lighter.

Looking forward to drinking this again :tank:

I think the golden promise and the extra mosaic would go great with this beer. My wife was never a beer drinker until I made a pale with golden promise, white wheat malt, and lots of late mosaic additions and now anywhere we go if it has mosaic in it she's all over it. For people that always ask if you have anything like blue moon this would be a good transition

I was kinda concerned how the finished product would be if I added an extra oz of Mosaic. I was just going to wing it and hope for the best.

I was kinda concerned how the finished product would be if I added an extra oz of Mosaic. I was just going to wing it and hope for the best.
Sorry went off topic a little bit. I think you should be good with the extra mosaic dry hop. I put the 1 oz in mine and although it was good another ounce would have kicked it up a notch

a minor variant of this recipe took bronze for me in the Standard American Beer at the Vanbrewers competition this year.

Here's what it looked like from my end.
3 Gallon batch
OG 1.040
FG 1.009

220g Gambrinus Honey Malt
902g Pale Wheat Malt
911g Canada two row

Ugly Bucket Corona Mill crush.

15.25 litres strike water at 69.3C full volume BIAB
Water profile was approx:
Ca 79 Mg 9 Na 15 SO4 82 CL 70 Bicarb -25 (close to Beersmith Yellow Balanced)
45 minute mash, final temp 64.1C my kettle doesn't hold temps for beans and I've stopped trying.

60 minute boil
2.0g Chinook 13%AA 7.5 IBU FWH ( I had it left over and it seemed a waste to use cryohops for bittering, I would have used warrior if I'd had it, or any other neutral bittering hop)
3.5g Mosaic Cryohop 24.1% AA 10.9 IBU 15 min
7.0g Mosaic Cryhop 24.1% AA 0 IBU 0 Min Flameout

chilled to 59 F

Pitched 5.7 g of rehydrated S-04

left in fermentor for 25 days approx 60 F, added 13.6 g mosaic cryo hops 24.1% AA for 6 days.

Kegged at 18 PSI, 40F

currently waiting for the scoresheets to come back.

I think the golden promise and the extra mosaic would go great with this beer. My wife was never a beer drinker until I made a pale with golden promise, white wheat malt, and lots of late mosaic additions and now anywhere we go if it has mosaic in it she's all over it. For people that always ask if you have anything like blue moon this would be a good transition

Good, you have convinced me. :yes:
Golden promise and an extra oz dry hop it will be.

I have a colleague in work who's favourite ''beer'' is reds raspberry ale.
However any thing I brew with Mosaic and she loves it.
A Rye IPA, Fresh Squeezed and Accumulation clones etc.
Didn't share my Dinner clone with anyone because I only brewed 10 litres and drank it all myself :oops:

Has anyone tried this beer with omega's oyl-200? I have most of the stuff to do this minus the s-05. Was just curious if oyl-200 would work or not

Gonna be brewing this one in a week. Has anyone brewed this one with US05 and S04? If so which one turned out better?

I'd like this for my next brew but when I put it in Beersmith it comes up with 45 IBUs instead of what the OP has as 25 IBUs. Anyone have this too bitter with the hops as listed?

I'd like this for my next brew but when I put it in Beersmith it comes up with 45 IBUs instead of what the OP has as 25 IBUs. Anyone have this too bitter with the hops as listed?

I am planning to brew this soon. The hops schedule comes in high for me too using Brewer’s Friend. I am adjusting hops to come in at 25 ibu. Several posts admonish to keep the IBU’s down. I have made a a couple Wheat beers using Centennial and while the recipe said 30 ibu’s, they were too bitter for me. Its trial and error IMHO with anything added at or after flameout. The recipe programs do their best but there are a lot of variables.

Latest posts

Back