American Wheat Beer Mosaic Honey Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wheat can have some fun with your mash numbers. Usually on heavier wheat / rye / oat beer i usually stir the mash 2-3 times during the mash which helps. sometimes the stickiness of those malts can cause issues. Rice hulls are always great option.

And keep us posted on how it turned out! Glad it was brewed and welcome to the forums! :mug:

Just finished up with our big house party..Last Thursday through Sunday night. Everything I made was a hit but this one was probably the most liked. Went through 20 gallons of homebrew on top of ~5 cases of cans/bottles.

Thanks so much for the recipe.. I will definitely be making it again!

Can anyone share their water profile? Plan to finally brew this weekend and not sure what profile to use. Will be using 100% ro water as my base

Well brewed this Sunday, let me say that was the last time i try and get my to do list done while brewing.:( Mash seemed to go OK, but when I checked preboil gravity, i was about 6 points off, thought eh no big deal ill add some dme to get me closer. Added about 1/2 pound and still was a little short, thought I rather be over than short so I went ahead and added the the rest. I didn't check preboil again and just went on, boil went OK, but ended up with a few ladybugs in the wort which i tried to fish out but couldn't find! Started to chill and after 30 minutes was only down to 88* went ahead and moved it to the FV and let it sit in a ice bath. Checked gravity today before pitching yeast and it was at 1.063 estimated to finish at 1.017. I'm worried that it may be to sweet finishing that high and with there being a whole pound of honey malt in there(which i have never used). Am i right to worry? Should i add some table sugar in a day or two to try and dry the beer out, or let it be and hope for the best?

Checked SG last night. The 1010 was at 1.012 and the 05 was at 1.010

Can anyone share their water profile? Plan to finally brew this weekend and not sure what profile to use. Will be using 100% ro water as my base

From the OP:
Calcium : 113
Chloride : 38
Magnesium : 0
Bicarbonate : 86
Sodium : 32
Sulfate : 221
PH : 5.4

Well brewed this Sunday, let me say that was the last time i try and get my to do list done while brewing.:( Mash seemed to go OK, but when I checked preboil gravity, i was about 6 points off, thought eh no big deal ill add some dme to get me closer. Added about 1/2 pound and still was a little short, thought I rather be over than short so I went ahead and added the the rest. I didn't check preboil again and just went on, boil went OK, but ended up with a few ladybugs in the wort which i tried to fish out but couldn't find! Started to chill and after 30 minutes was only down to 88* went ahead and moved it to the FV and let it sit in a ice bath. Checked gravity today before pitching yeast and it was at 1.063 estimated to finish at 1.017. I'm worried that it may be to sweet finishing that high and with there being a whole pound of honey malt in there(which i have never used). Am i right to worry? Should i add some table sugar in a day or two to try and dry the beer out, or let it be and hope for the best?

i wouldn't worry about it honestly. i've never had this finish that high. i've brewed it 4 times now. you should be fine :mug: don't panic yet my friend!

1.063 is a a bit higher than normal, might be a bit sweeter than normal...?
but it's not going to hurt anything i wouldn't think, the IBUs are so low anyways... i'd let that ride.

If you do add sugar to dry it out, it'll only add more alcohol sweetness as well and make the gravity higher.
If that does happen again though, you can always add in more water to make the gravity lower itself before you pitch yeast as well. that wouldn't hurt anything at all :tank:

but like i said, i'd totally let it ride :)

Well hoped to keg today and have it carbed by Monday, but both carboys dropped two more points on the gravity so I guess I'll give it a few more days

Has anyone tried splitting this batch or adding fruit? Maybe watermelon, raspberries etc? Thoughts on how this would mesh?

Just finished brewing this tonight, tweaking the recipe a bit - basically using the as-written hop schedule for an otherwise scaled down to 4 gallon batch.

But didn't have the best brew day, missing numbers & losing mash temp - took a gravity reading post mash to check, realized my gravity was way low, did some on the fly calcs and added about 3/4 lb of light golden DME to bring the gravity up to ~1.050 (assuming my math was right).

One of those both "frustrating because it wasn't easy" and "wait cool I think I might have figured out how to fix this" brew days. I'll be excited if this comes out ok...

Awesome! either way, they are always learning experiences... like, don't let your kid get too close to the boil kettle while you aren't watching sorts of learning haha. But! that sounds fantastic! even if you put in some more DME it would have been fine i gather.

Keep us posted and i hope you enjoy!

Has anyone tried splitting this batch or adding fruit? Maybe watermelon, raspberries etc? Thoughts on how this would mesh?

with the flavors in this, watermelon probably wouldn't come out at all as it's more delecate.
Raspberries, Mango, anything bright and loud and tart would work i think. any hardcore berry or stonefruit

with the flavors in this, watermelon probably wouldn't come out at all as it's more delecate.
Raspberries, Mango, anything bright and loud and tart would work i think. any hardcore berry or stonefruit

That makes a lot of sense. I havent tried the original recipe just yet, but are you suggesting that watermelon wouldnt come out due to the hops more so or rather the use of the honey malt? That is, if I switched out the hops for something more basic and noble, for just bittering and kept the grain bill as is, would fruit work? Hope I'm not asking these questions in the wrong place!

With the honey malt alone would not let the delicate taste of watermelon malt come out. at least in my opinion on that one. The mosaic is also pretty potent. so this Recipe as it stands wouldn't be a good player for the game of watermelon, i'd look for a basic american hefe and go from there for the watermelon.

Brewing this today. This will be my third homebrew, and second recipe. Also my first time using wheat. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I'm doing BIAB.

Brewing this today. This will be my third homebrew, and second recipe. Also my first time using wheat. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I'm doing BIAB.

awesome! keep us posted! :mug:

Well, everything went smoothly, but I only hit 1.040OG :( It's not a problem with the recipe, just an issue with my process that I can't figure out. Hopefully I'll still end up with something that tastes decent. Love the smell of the mosaic hops!

Tried it last night. Pretty tasty. The Mosaic definitely comes through. Not a huge difference between the 05 and the 1010 yeast. The 1010 May be a bit tart compared, but both are good. My wife, who could only drink about a half a glass at a time of my last batch (IPA, too bitter for her) had two glasses of this last night, so I guess it's a winner

Awesome! that is pretty cool to hear.
I might try 1010 on the next batch if it's even slightly more tart as i enjoy the brightness.... hell, might even throw in some acid malt lol.

thanks for the post though! glad it was well received!

Well has been kegged for a few weeks now. And its just not for me, wondering if the dme threw it off. Maybe ill give it another try in the future, thanks for the recipe though!

Awesome! i haven't had oberon in a number of years (been about 5-6 years since i was in the midwest) but that yeast should be awesome! Keep us posted on that variant as well! :tank:

I completely forgot until now to give an update...

This brew has turned into my best brew accident. As I said before, I used Bell's yeast that I harvested from Oberon dregs. The finished beer, which I was hoping had a clean yeast flavor to it, ended up having a belgian peppery note upfront. No clove or banana flavors, just a little bit peppery. At first I wasn't happy because it didn't turn out as I expected. But it was still really good so I kegged it. I've received so many raving reviews for this beer from BMC and serious craft drinkers alike that I plan to brew it again exactly like I did it the first time. Give it a try sometime!

I've been drinking my first attempt at this over the last week. As mentioned earlier, my conversion efficiency was very low, so I only hit an OG of 1.040. It fermented down to 1.009, so I've got a very sessionable beer on my hands :) I really like it, even though it's a little thin. I'm looking forward to giving this recipe another try and hopefully getting closer to the intended OG.

This beer is awesome!
I've done it once with S05 and now did it with Nottingham (still first week of fermentation, but it already tastes good).
My best brew so far!
Thanks a lot!

Try this with Wyeast 1010. It gives it a slightly tart finish that blends well with the Mosaic

I brought this to our church's homebrew Oktoberfest tonight. It was the favorite out of 7 beers!

I've been meaning to come back to this thread. I used the original recipe without the dry hop (forgot to buy some extra mosaic). This is probably one of my three favorite beers ever. I actually find myself salivating when I think about cracking open a bottle. It is just that damn good. I'm going with a 10 gallon batch next time and I'll dry hop one of the carboys. When I get a kegerator this Christmas (my daughters already spilled the beans) this beer will be a mainstay.

It should be in the HBT top 100 IMHO.

Hello,

What would be the closest thing to the honey malt as it is impossible to find here in spain.

Low crystal malt + adding honey at FO ? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

This is now a award winning beer!

*Did add 1oz dry hop for 4 days to this version

Won 3rd at a charity event over the weekend for experienced brewers (over 3 years) by the public. They didn't have ribbons or metals to hand out, just some small donated prizes from different companies (won a growler and a pint glass).

My father in law snuck a picture of me (as he called it) "doing my thing in my environment"

Did play around with some salts by the way.

Calcium : 113
Chloride : 38
Magnesium : 0
Bicarbonate : 86
Sodium : 32
Sulfate : 221
PH : 5.4
Do you still target this for your water profile in this recipe?

Back