American Wheat Beer Mosaic Honey Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another quick quesiton, do you guys steep the flameout addition for 10 minutes at/near boiling temp and let it naturally cool down during that 10 minute period, or do you begin chilling down to say 180 degrees to do the hopsteep/stand for 10 minutes before proceeding to chill it all the way down?

I just tossed it in at flameout and then went to get a fresh beer. I figured it steeped for ten minutes before I managed to get the temp to change from kicking on the chiller.

I just tossed it in at flameout and then went to get a fresh beer. I figured it steeped for ten minutes before I managed to get the temp to change from kicking on the chiller.

Sounds good, but then I take it IBUs aren't really 25 then? Adding 10 minutes to my calculator for the boil time since the steep would be at near boiling temperatures for that long increases ibu calculations for the 15 minute and flameout addition.

Sounds good, but then I take it IBUs aren't really 25 then?

From my limited experience with this recipe, I think I would agree with that. I've only brewed this once, but I didn't want this beer to turn into another APA, as I had already brewed a couple of those earlier in the summer. The original recipe had me over 30 IBUs in my software, so I just changed the 15 minute addition to a 5 minute addition and that put me around the 25 mark. I thought it came out well balanced, but if anything, still on the hoppy-side for a wheat ale. I don't think I would change anything the next time I brew it.

From my limited experience with this recipe, I think I would agree with that. I've only brewed this once, but I didn't want this beer to turn into another APA, as I had already brewed a couple of those earlier in the summer. The original recipe had me over 30 IBUs in my software, so I just changed the 15 minute addition to a 5 minute addition and that put me around the 25 mark. I thought it came out well balanced, but if anything, still on the hoppy-side for a wheat ale. I don't think I would change anything the next time I brew it.

Perfect! Just the feedback I was looking for as I dont want an APA either, but definitely want a recipe that can help showcase the honey malt and mosaic together without being overly bitter

Brewed this last Friday... I knew my OG was going to be way off because when I opened the bag of milled grain I bought online, the crush was horribly weak and I expected to really miss quite a bit on brewhouse efficiency but I went ahead and rolled with it... My OG finished around 1.043 which is quite a bit off but hoping it'll still turn out good.

Other than that, the entire brew day went excellent minus a leak in my immersion chiller, and it took me a minute or two to notice it so I had to bring the wort back above 180 to feel better about pasteurization and hoping to avoid any infections, but I also pitched quickly so hopefully the yeasties dominate... but I'd say my final aroma/flavor hop-stand hops might not really be the same as the recipe called for unfortunately.

Currently fermenting away in my 64-66 degree dark basement, and everything appears to be going well.. does everyone just dry hop with 4 days before kegging? Also, anyone use gelatin in this recipe for fining?

My OG finished around 1.043 which is quite a bit off but hoping it'll still turn out good.

My first attempt at this was 1.040, and it turned out to be a really nice sessionable beer. My second attempt I'll be bottling today hit 1.045, so I'm expecting something similar. I returned my Monster Mills MM-2Pro SL in exchange for the knurled version. I'm hoping that will produce a better crush and improve conversion efficiency.

Currently fermenting away in my 64-66 degree dark basement, and everything appears to be going well.. does everyone just dry hop with 4 days before kegging? Also, anyone use gelatin in this recipe for fining?

For the dry hop, that sounds about right. I also cold crashed mine for 1-2 days before kegging, but I'm not sure that's necessary. I didn't use gelatin, and my beer was crystal clear after 1 week in the keg. Being a wheat beer, I was almost hoping/expecting it to be a bit cloudy, but if clear is what you're after and you usually fine with gelatin, I don't think it would hurt anything. :mug:

I returned my Monster Mills MM-2Pro SL in exchange for the knurled version. I'm hoping that will produce a better crush and improve conversion efficiency.

I'm guessing you had already tried reducing the gap setting? Also, you can try to mill a pound or two of grain through there and measure the gap again after to make sure it hasn't moved. I found that mine moved a little once from not being hand-tightened sufficiently, so now I always double check this if I ever adjust the gap. Good luck with the new one!

I'm guessing you had already tried reducing the gap setting? Also, you can try to mill a pound or two of grain through there and measure the gap again after to make sure it hasn't moved. I found that mine moved a little once from not being hand-tightened sufficiently, so now I always double check this if I ever adjust the gap. Good luck with the new one!

Yeah, I had the gap set to .022" which is as low as the mill could go. The helical cutters on that mill are .03" deep, so the effective gap between two of those is .082" even at the lowest setting. It produces far too coarse of a crush.

Gonna brew this during the week, but with a pack of dry danstar wheat instead of us-05. I won a few packs of danstar wheat yeast from a comp I need to use up since it's on the older side.

Update from my post above. Kegged this a week ago and poured the first pint tonight. Delicious!!! Thanks for the recipe even though I changed the yeast.

Made this and not a fan. Maybe I bought some bad hops or I just really dislike mosaic hops. Yeast fermented clean. I bought hop union mosaic from the LHBS and they were stored at room temp. I usually buy my hops from hops direct and Yakima valley hops and store in freezer but not this time. I wonder if it was old warm hops I don't like or if it is just mosaic that tastes bad to me.

Brewing my modified version of this for the third time tomorrow. Gonna experiment with a portion of the batch. Gonna mix 3 gallons of wort, three gallons of cider and a bunch of honey and ferment it all together. Might be good, might be horrible. We'll see

Brewing my modified version of this for the third time tomorrow. Gonna experiment with a portion of the batch. Gonna mix 3 gallons of wort, three gallons of cider and a bunch of honey and ferment it all together. Might be good, might be horrible. We'll see

Will be original anyway :D
Good luck!

I'm drinking my most recent batch of this now. Finally got my grain crush dialed in, and hit 1.049 for the OG; finished at 1.012. I bottled on 1/3, the S05 still hasn't formed a yeast cake in the bottom of the bottles so pouring a glass without a healthy serving of yeast is difficult, but if I manage it the beer is nice and clear thanks to my gelatin fining.

Taste is good. I haven't done the dry hop yet but I think I'll try that next time as there isn't a ton of hop flavor without it.

Decided to brew a wheat for spring and to play with mosaic, but it did not last that long.
Hard to describe, but tastes like a sweeter passion fruit/guava american hefeweizen that has been a hit with everyone that has tried it. Defiantly more of a hop forward beer (but not bitter hoppy), the wheat comes through but just hints at it.
Took it to a brew share a few weeks ago, the brew shop owners wife that doesn't drink malted beverages (cider lover) tried some and had me brew them a 5 gallon batch. So it has it's appeals!

4lb - Great western 2-row
4lb - Great western wheat malt
1lb - Gambrinus honey malt
-----
Mash : 152* 60 Minutes
-----
.25oz Mosaic @ FWH (60 minute boil)
.75oz Mosaic @15
1oz Mosaic @0 (steep for 10 minutes to let everything settle)
-----
Ferment with S-05 @65* for 2 weeks
Kegged and hit it with 10PSI for another week and started enjoying it. Gets better with time, but it's highly drinkable very quickly.

First time posting a recipe. Apologies if i forgot something.
:EDIT: IBU says 5, which isn't true, that is the SRM, the IBU is 25

Is the original post here still the favorite variation? Any thoughts on maybe taking this recipe dry hopping once during fermentation and again as originally dry hopped for 4 days before kegging?

Have another question... has anyone tried dry hopping with more than just the 1 ounce for 4 days? Maybe doubling it, going for 2 oz? Thoughts?

Have another question... has anyone tried dry hopping with more than just the 1 ounce for 4 days? Maybe doubling it, going for 2 oz? Thoughts?

Yes, sort of. I doubled the dry hops, but also doubled the other hops, and I used 2 parts Mosaic to 1 part Citra. And I increased the ABV. So, you could say I made a different beer. It was a very good beer, but the honey malt was not detectable. I think your idea of increasing only the dry hops is a good one. Let us know.

Made this and not a fan. Maybe I bought some bad hops or I just really dislike mosaic hops. Yeast fermented clean. I bought hop union mosaic from the LHBS and they were stored at room temp. I usually buy my hops from hops direct and Yakima valley hops and store in freezer but not this time. I wonder if it was old warm hops I don't like or if it is just mosaic that tastes bad to me.[/QUO

Not sure if I messed it up, but im getting what I think is an astringent taste, sorta like sucking on grape skin. Read up on all the possible causes, double checked my brew log and nothing stands out. Water PH 5.4, grain crush is same for the past 8 years, hops were not left in overly long. Could it be the Mosaic? Never used it before.

We'll tried a few pints today and this turned out great!

Could use some more time in the keg but couldn't help myself hah. I think you were right, with the .5 oz FWH it pushed this closer to a pale ale.

I brewed this recipe again last Wednesday with the original hop schedule to compare.

Great recipe Rivenin! Thanks for sharing, this will be in my lineup from now on. Cheers!

thank you soo much for a picture, I really wanted to see if my first attempt was close to what was expected, or not...and i went all thru the entire thread, and this was the only picture of a glass of this recipe.

so thanks once again for sharing.

cheers all!

So I submitted my slightly modified version of this to the Dr Homebrew podcast and it was on tonight. Not sure when they'll post it. First I want to apologize to @Rivenin. It was my intention to give you credit for the original recipe and I got nervous and spaced. Second it scored a 32 and a 38. I've only been brewing for a year and haven't entered any competitions yet so i was pretty happy with that score as well as the feedback

So I submitted my slightly modified version of this to the Dr Homebrew podcast and it was on tonight. Not sure when they'll post it. First I want to apologize to @Rivenin. It was my intention to give you credit for the original recipe and I got nervous and spaced. Second it scored a 32 and a 38. I've only been brewing for a year and haven't entered any competitions yet so i was pretty happy with that score as well as the feedback

Do you mind posting your version? I'd be interested in reading it and listening to the podcast.

Do you mind posting your version? I'd be interested in reading it and listening to the podcast.

10 gal batch

9# wheat malt
9# 2 row
2# honey malt
.5# honey biscuit
1# flaked wheat

Same hops schedule
All mosaic
.5 oz first worth hops
1.5oz @ 15
2oz @ flameout
2oz dry hops

2 packs Wyeast 1010

I have recently made the switch from extract kits with steeping grains to all-grain brewing. I brewed a honey witbier kit a few times that I added jalapenos to and it turned out excellent. I'm searching for an all-grain wheat beer recipe that I can use to make a jalapeno honey wheat beer with. Would jalapenos would play well in this recipe?

I found this thread looking for a recipe to use Honey malt to make a beer for my wife. She tends to like her beer a little stronger so I upped the recipe a little. Here is what I am thinking about doing for a 11 gallon batch.

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 43.5 %
10 lbs White Wheat Malt (3.1 SRM) Grain 2 43.5 %
3 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 13.0 %

0.50 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [11.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9.3 IBUs
1.50 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [11.30 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 13.9 IBUs
2.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [11.30 %] - Steep 10.0 min Hop 6.8 IBUs
2.00 oz Mosaic (HBC 369) [12.80 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days

2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

Target: 1.055 SG
Estimate: 1.012 SG
Estimate ABV: 5.7%

I have yet to brew with Wheat so I figure I will at least make the #'s for the original recipe by bumping things up a wee bit, and if I meet the #'s here it wont be bad. I hope!!!

At what temp is the whirlpool hop addition done at? Is it done for 10 minutes at flame out temperature with free fall?

I have recently made the switch from extract kits with steeping grains to all-grain brewing. I brewed a honey witbier kit a few times that I added jalapenos to and it turned out excellent. I'm searching for an all-grain wheat beer recipe that I can use to make a jalapeno honey wheat beer with. Would jalapenos would play well in this recipe?

I don't see why not but me personally I would use Citra instead of Mosaic for jalapenos/peppers. Or maybe both??

Thinking of brewing this again with WLP 090. Has anyone tried it with San Diego Super Yeast?

Thinking of brewing this again with WLP 090. Has anyone tried it with San Diego Super Yeast?

We use it at my brewery almost as much as a house yeast. It ferments very quickly, and incredibly dry. However it leaves little in the way of esters or anything remotely yeasty. Makes a great NE IPA if you ask me, and thats about it.

We use it at my brewery almost as much as a house yeast. It ferments very quickly, and incredibly dry. However it leaves little in the way of esters or anything remotely yeasty. Makes a great NE IPA if you ask me, and thats about it.

Huh, I'd always thought for a NEIPA you'd want something that produced a lot of esters, like the Vermont Ale strain.

I've made a "honey wheat" using orange blossom honey and wanted to try honey malt instead so this looks like a good recipe, but I already have a bunch of citra hops and no mosaic. Any thoughts on using all citra as a sub? I'd prefer to blow through some existing inventory!!

I've made a "honey wheat" using orange blossom honey and wanted to try honey malt instead so this looks like a good recipe, but I already have a bunch of citra hops and no mosaic. Any thoughts on using all citra as a sub? I'd prefer to blow through some existing inventory!!

I would say it's still going to be delicious. I've had a wheat beer before with all Citra and it's pretty similar. Try it out and let us know how it was!

This beer sounds delicious.

I'm going to make this my 2nd all-grain (BIAB) batch (4th batch overall), it will be my first time trying dry-hopping.

Put in the order for ingredients yesterday, maybe next weekend will be brew day :) .

Brewing this today, scaled down to a 3.5 gal batch.

Mash is being stubborn... for some reason I've had to extend 30+ minutes to get expected gravity... still not quite there, but close. Might end up a little light in alc... will see what the next 10 minutes or so gets me.

Edit, ended up extending the mash by about 40 minutes, with several stirs... possibly I'd missed a dough ball, as in the end all is good, actually over-achieved on post-mash gravity a bit. On to the boil! :)

Back