Mold on my mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is it moldy?

• yes

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

math.floret

Reaction score
Good evening, a few days ago (14/04) I decided to make my own mead for the first time.
I have used apples to do the fermentation process like on the recipe that I found on youtube. For the first and second days, obviousy i didn't have noticed any signs of fermentation. Today, when I checked it out, I saw some bubbles and i know that it is ok. However, I noticed the signs of some sort of white and dark stuff on the top apples aswell. I called out for a couple friends to check that out, and the told me that it was mold. I have opened and smelled it, and it kinda smelled like a mead that I recieved as a gift in a party that I went to a couple years ago.
I also read that the thing about making mead out of apples is that sometimes it might get a little ugly because the apples tend to become dark. Just wondering if you guys could please help me figure out if my mead is on the right way to become a nice drink or if it's just spoiled and I should trow it away. I will upload a picture. Thanks!

Attachments

• 68cc4d53-2f88-4936-98e3-414e200c8372.jpg
    68cc4d53-2f88-4936-98e3-414e200c8372.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 147
I cant tell . Is it fuzzy or has the apples started to brown? If its fuzzy I wouldn't drink it.
To be honest I can't tell if it's fuzzy or not. It just looks like a white foam on some parts, and on others is kinda dark.
The top apples became a little brown too. I can take more pictures if you like.

Really cant tell from the picture.

If its, Black, Dark Purple, Dark Green and fuzzy or has stringy like fuzz then probably is mold. (might not be but....) Not much you can do if it is. The only option I would consider is to dump it. Some types of mold can produce some very unpleasant toxins.

Others on the forum with more experience with Mold should probably chime in here.

Yep more pics would be helpful

"It just looks like a white foam on some parts, and on others is kinda dark.
The top apples became a little brown too."

If foam and a little "rust" on the apples then I would suggest its perfectly "normal" CO2 coming through the fruit can create a little foam. If you believe that is the case then, sanitize a knife or chopstick and push the fruit down every couple of days or so to get it covered with mead. You want to keep the fruit moist, the alcohol produced will help to not let things grow.

Based on the photo I'm only 95% sure that is mold. Both the dark spots and white spots look like mold. :(

@CKuhns offered good advice:
You shouldn't leave fruit floating on sugar water without a reasonably healthy pitch of yeast. ... Also, for primary it would be helpful to ferment in a bucket so you can degas and punch down fruit.

Because of the risk of allergens, toxins, and carcinogens from mold growth, I would dispose of it (preferably outdoors so you don't spread spores inside). Sorry.

Latest posts

Back