Mixing Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewNYC

Reaction score
Brewing a Belgian quad. LHBS had 2 packs of Wyeast 1214, but they were both 3 days past expiration. They gave me the yeast for free along with a pack of dry Lalbrew“abayye” yeast. Nice guys.. told me to pitch both the liquid and the dry so I have enough cells ( no time for a starter, brewing in the morning!)

anybody have an opinion on this? No idea what happens when you mix strains.Will one of these dominate and kill off the other? More worried about the dry yeast dominating, cause I don’t know anything about “Abayye”.

Personally I would just be making a quick starter with the 2 packs and go from there. 3 days past EXP is NOTHING. Likely they are fine as is, but you never know how it was handled. I have mixed yeasts strains in the past but can't really say 100% exactly what happened accept I got beer and it was good. I will (as a lot of breweries do) use a different "bottling" yeast than the ferment yeast. But that's for an entirely different conversation.

On a bright note. Using the 2 different yeast WILL create a different unique flavor and aroma profile than using a single strain and being a Belgian.... That is always good. You cant really go wrong however you decide to go IMHO.

Cheers
Jay

I don't think it is entirely unheard of. I recall seeing cream ale yeasts that were actually ale/lager yeast combined

So, I pitched both. The Wyeast 1214 smack packs didn’t swell (popped them 24 hours before), so I’m doubting they are contributing much. Probably just food for the “Abbaye” yeast. In any case, the beer is 24 hours in and already dropped 6 gravity points, so something is working 😁

Brewing a Belgian quad. LHBS had 2 packs of Wyeast 1214, but they were both 3 days past expiration. They gave me the yeast for free along with a pack of dry Lalbrew“abayye” yeast. Nice guys.. told me to pitch both the liquid and the dry so I have enough cells ( no time for a starter, brewing in the morning!)

anybody have an opinion on this? No idea what happens when you mix strains.Will one of these dominate and kill off the other? More worried about the dry yeast dominating, cause I don’t know anything about “Abayye”.
I ended up doing effectively the same thing with my last quad.
Only I did it sequentially when the first pitch didn't or seem to take off.

Turned out one of the best I have made.

The yeast I am currently using is 4th generation harvested yeast, and the original was a mix of HotHead and BE-256. The beer was a bigger beer than what the single pack of HotHead was supposed to be good for, and it was a little old, so I also pitched a packet of dry BE-256 sort of just in case. Very strong ferment, rapid start, quick attenuation and no blowoff though it would have been close with a 6 gallon batch. For the next brew, I poured the next batch of wort right over the old trub, From there I just innocculated each successive batch with saved yeast, and this current batch I made a one quart starter the day before brew day. I think that the BE-256 has become the dominant strain in my yeast and that is perfectly okay. I am getting very rapid starts and about 3" of krausen but it never gets out of control, and the results are great. My beers run at least 1.070 OG and usually 5 to 20 points higher than that.

I have started using a starter so I know positively that the culture is still viable. I think my starter base was a half pound of dark DME in a quart plus a few ounces of water, boiled for 10 minutes and cooled to 80F before adding the yeast straight from the fridge. It was a pretty big pitch of yeast so I wasn't too worried about survival rate. It took off in a couple of hours and I knew I had a good starter for the next day's brew.

The original batch is on tap now, and it's a good one, so mixing those two yeasts worked out just fine. It's not very dry, but that isn't usually a goal with me. I like a very chewy and filling brew. This one has no funny smells or tastes, just a solid liquid bread experience, plenty of ABV, nice persistent and sticky head.

I doubt if you will very often see two yeasts combine to make a bad beer if both yeasts were originally good strains with no contamination. You might often see that the combination is superior to the sum of the parts. When you think you got to pitch two yeasts, then do it, as long as you can maintain temp within the range of both. However, when in doubt, you can always make a starter and if there is no action in the starter overnight, then do a double pitch. I didn't do that though, and it still came out great.

Back