Missed doppelbock OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redraider77

Reaction score
I brewed the following recipe a couple weeks ago but my OG was only 1.075 after the boil instead of before as the recipe says. Since then I have educated myself on all the possible things I did wrong (which were many). So having missed the OG by 13 points and the beer at this point finishing fermentation I'm wondering what I'm going to end up with. I took a gravity reading last night and it was 1.020. I'm going to raise it to 55 like the recipe says then do a diacetyl rest. After that I will go ahead and lager for two months. I'm guessing the FG won't go much lower and the beer will be sweet which may not be a bad thing if the malt comes through. Just curious if anyone had any thoughts on how it might turn out. Thanks.

Alec’s Doppelbock
(five gallons, all-grain)
OG: 1.088 FG: 1.020 IBU: 22

11 lbs. two-row Munich malt (10° L)
3 lbs. Pilsen malt
2 lbs. CaraMunich malt (60° L)
0.5 oz. Perle hops (7% alpha acids) (add 60 minutes into boil)
0.5 oz. Hallertau hops (4% alpha acids) (add 90 minutes into boil)
German lager yeast

Strike to mash at 155° F. Rest the mash for 60 minutes. Collect runoff slowly until you hit 1.075 gravity. Boil for two hours. Aerate with twice the normal amount of oxygen. Pitch twice the normal amount of healthy yeast. Start fermentation at 50° F and let rise to 55° F near the end of fermentation. Lager near 30° F.

1.075 is a perfectly acceptable OG for a doppelbock. Really with large lagers it can be difficult to hit a low enough FG, hitting 1.020 should be fine though, and It will probably still drop a point or two. Usually homebrewed doppelbocks ive had around 1.090 end up a hot fuselly mess. I usually aim for 1.075-1.080.

I missed my gravity on a recent doppelbock as well and I am honestly happy it happened. Finished around 1.023 from 1.083 and it's quite boozy. I can't imagine that it would taste better with more alcohol in there. I think 1.020 is a perfect FG for your recipe. The diacetyl rest can help it attenuate a bit more -- shoot for around 65F if you can.

I think it will be fine. Consider it a heavy bock or a slightly light doppel.

Back