Oatwine Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOriginalDBS

Reaction score
Hey folks, looking for feedback on a 4.5 gal BIAB (all grain) oatwine recipe. Percentages are as I’ve plugged them into Beersmith.
OG 1.099
Est FG 1.019
Est IBU 34.8
Bitterness ratio 0.352
Single infusion mash 149°F for 90 minutes

41.2% Riverbend Streaker Naked Malted Oats
35.3% Rabbit Hill Chillum UK pale ale malt (basically a nice and diastatic local maris otter)
11.8% Mecca Grade Vanora (vienna) malt
8.8% Golden Naked Oats
2.9% Aromatic Malt

90 minute boil
.09 oz Magnum 12% AAU at 60 minutes

Chill to 64°F. Pure O2 like a madman. pitch a giant starter of WLP007 Dry English Ale. (I’m considering a 1:2 blend of Dry English and Escarpment English Ale I, respectively—dry english for insurance policy on the attenuation and English Ale I for the “strawberry jam” esters). Allow to free rise to 66-67°F and hold for first 3 days. Slowly ramp one degree per day thereafter until you hit 70°F. Hold there for 3 more weeks.

Any thoughts, feedback, experiences with this style, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Perfect!

This is almost exactly what I do for wheatwine. (The two times I did oatwine I went dark; not sure I'd do that again.) My personal preference is for somewhat more bitterness, as well as a late (10-15 minute) addition of an English hop (Boadicea, but no reason not to use Goldings). And I've had good results with a very long (3+ hour) boil.

I'm a dry yeast fan and do my ___wines with Nottingham at 60-64 F. It handles high alcohol like a champ, finishes quickly, and requires nothing in the way of babying. Given the beta-glucans and the residual dextrins you're going to have, you definitely want something that will eat all the rest of the carbohydrates. You get yeast expression no matter what at these gravities.

But yeah, this looks great.

Back