Michael Kiser of Good Beer Hunting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a big fan of Coors Banquet.

I have a keg of High Life on tap in the studio right now.

Regardless of how well you actually separate influences between your agency relationship and editorial purity, you've won me over with these two statements. Gonna go give your website a few clicks, srs.

After reading I believe this thread is best understood through metaphor.

Based on actual events. Names were changed to protect the innocent.

goodbeerhunting is a like a nerdy kid. We'll call him Gus.
Goose Island is like a hot girl. We'll call her Gina.

You see, Gus always had a thing for Gina in middle school. But since Gus was a nerd Gina never reciprocated the feelings. So Gus started talking a lot of **** about Gina to everyone else at the school. But no one believed Gus because Gina was so hot.

High school starts for our pair: Gina is even hotter and Gus even nerdier. Gina really starts getting around at this point. But never had the time of day for Gus. He's been talking **** about her for years. Until one day, the rumor starts that Gina has an STD. She's infected. Gina needs to set her reputation straight. She decides the best way to do that is to have Gus start telling everyone that she's clean. If Gus, her arch nemesis, saysbshe's clean then everyone would believe her.

To get Gus on her side Gina offers to sleep with him. Excited for the opportunity to finally get his chode wet, Gus agrees to Gina's terms.

Now Gus spreads the news that Gina is clean, but his opinion means ****. Everyone knows he ****ed Gina.

There is no happy ending.
giphy.gif

he's awful. He's ill informed and petty. He blocked me of all people from twitter for disagreeing with him. Then he told me that beer people are not his target... basically, he writes for people who are not knowledgeable enough to call out his crap
Ha, well, he blocked me too. And he is really petty. But I still like his writing. Although he clearly botched that Cantillon piece.

When Will Gordon writes about, say, Lagunitas IPA, I guess I don't have that feeling either.
I definitely think that's his sweet spot, and his audience. He's certainly not trying to write about geek beers for geeks — there seems to be some sort of allergic reaction in him to such an idea. Not sure if it was all the backlash he got, or a deeply seated principle he had prior to writing about beer, but it comes through. Still, I think he's a good example of what ObsessiveCTBrewer was asking about, despite his flaws. Any others you like more/differently?

I think it's unlikely (and probably undesirable) to get a Robert Parker in beer simply because our culture no longer rewards expertise as much as the wisdom of the crowd, for better and worse. There are significant cons to having a figure like Parker. Their ratings and opinions can start to shape an entire industry in the direction of their personal palate. But they can also help drive conversations about quality that the crowd is usually unequipped to have beyond a simple rating or clear off flavors.

Right now, I think we have a pretty workable system whereby the crowd helps elevate the styles and newcomers they find interesting through aggregate data. And then a leading critic, were there to be one, could help separate the real stars from the trendy entries.

He apparently doesn't understand the meaning of social media. He just wants another outlet to post his crap but wants no criticism.

I think he sucks

The irony is that the best way to grow your social media (or get your crap seen/read) is with replies/discussion/debates, even if they are mainly negative. Social media favors posts that are...social. #whodathunk

He apparently doesn't understand the meaning of social media. He just wants another outlet to post his crap but wants no criticism.

I think he sucks
He seems to like having conversations with people just fine, but yeah, he's a bit like a caged animal when he sees a beer geek coming. He must feel a bit insecure in his industry/brewing knowledge. He's much more comfortable on the consumer experience side of things. Good deals, tasty beverages, that sort of thing.

I think it's unlikely (and probably undesirable) to get a Robert Parker in beer simply because our culture no longer rewards expertise as much as the wisdom of the crowd, for better and worse. There are significant cons to having a figure like Parker. Their ratings and opinions can start to shape an entire industry in the direction of their personal palate. But they can also help drive conversations about quality that the crowd is usually unequipped to have beyond a simple rating or clear off flavors.

Right now, I think we have a pretty workable system whereby the crowd helps elevate the styles and newcomers they find interesting through aggregate data. And then a leading critic, were there to be one, could help separate the real stars from the trendy entries.

You mean the Alstrom Bro's aren't our Robert Parker?!

he's awful. He's ill informed and petty. He blocked me of all people from twitter for disagreeing with him. Then he told me that beer people are not his target... basically, he writes for people who are not knowledgeable enough to call out his crap
Ha, well, he blocked me too. And he is really petty. But I still like his writing. Although he clearly botched that Cantillon piece.
Me: “Hm I wonder who this guy is…”
*googles*

2zjdetds.png

Uh okay. I just searched through my twitter archive and I’ve never @mentioned him so… ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well in this level of discourse you can't really knock either way. It all depends on how you're monetizing your business.
It's much easier to put advertising on an over the top toll so you see it as it is being pulled. The editorial arm see that it is easier to pull coming on the under. It also depends if you are a sit or stand type of wiper. Market analysis shows that sitters prefer under, while standers prefer over. No matter what you prefer, Charmin Ultra Strong is best at cleaning this shits you take after a night of drinking. Charmin Ultra Soft is great when you have that explosive lambic diarrhea, feels like wiping with a cloud. If you have too many shits and want to save some money, Charmin Basic is a fantastic choice.

This post is a hype post, sponsored by P&G

Unrelated, but TIL that people wipe their ass while standing

LOL, the article where Curtis questions their entire launch strategy and gets people to go on the record about the half-price kegs? Yeah, really pumping Goose up with that one. Curtis is a known Goose cynic on our team. And we let him run with any opinions he could back up with facts, and paid him to run around London talking to pub owners to try and get them to go on record about the massive discounts. Sounds like you read what you wanted to read in that piece.

isn't it likely i'd be less cynical with a disclaimer about your relationship? and i appreciate your concern about my reading comprehension --can't imagine where i'd get that with lines like

"But I was far more interested in finding out the significance in an exercise that, on the surface, appeared to be a masterclass in creating the idea of relative scarcity. "

"Goose’s ownership and expansion appears to be having little impact on the perception of the brand, other than it’s one that’s now nationalized here in the UK."

Is Grit and Grain something you produced? Just curious because I read that article and would've expected a disclaimer based on your responses in this thread if it is. Also to suggest that that article is critical of GI is a laughable stretch.

This is a scathing review in Britain. Thank you, centuries of emotional repression!

tosh can back that up.

Probably saw you reply to dontdrinkbeer or some other beer geek-centric account and preemptively banned you.
dude's trigger is more sensitive than old man Witherbee's tripwire shotgun.

I "interacted" with him maybe three times, largely just expressing sheer amazement that a large platform content provider would pay someone $0.18 a word when they seem to know **** all about craft beer beyond the myopic generalizations you would expect from a homebrewing stepdad drinking ranger at the end of a bar chipring Untappd reviews into his nextel phone.

I was mostly being congratulatory.

Pardon me while I jack this thread:

dontdrinkbeer, can we get a couple-hundred word review of goodbeerhunting? Maybe a rating out of 10 while we're at it?

Or a vedeo revue of Kiser while Kiser is interviewing him on the GBH Podcast.

Can it plz plz plz be at Binny's on a Black Friday release? brb setting up a kickfundmestarter for Alex's airfare.

Can't believe I just spent a good 25 minutes reading thru this entire thread.

The whole thing seems pretty Fox-newsish to me. But I know that, and I take it with a grain of salt.
Are most of the stories goodbeerhunting puts out entertaining? Sure, I suppose. Do I allow them to shape my world? No, not really. It's just entertainment...which is what beer is for me, personally. Sure I make part of my living off beer, but if I took it too seriously then in the long run I believe I would make much less as a whole.

By the way, the GBH deer pencil drawing that Dan did is bad ass. I have it framed, hanging it my house, zero fuxx.

edit- because I can

Last edited:
I'm way late to this thread, but I just wanted to say that I only recently started following GBH, and I've become a big fan. I now follow two beer blogs/sites regularly: goodbeerhunting and dontdrinkbeer . I know the comment above was intended ironically, but I really would love to see a GBH interview of DDB. Or vice versa. Unlikely to the point of being funny, I know, but it would be really cool.

Also, I really enjoyed your write-up from last summer (I think?) on Tired Hands. Any plans to do a podcast interview with Jean?

Why are Uppers & Downers tickets $60, or the same price as Great Taste, for a three hour session? I get that it's a cool venue but that pricing sucks hard.

Back