Mangrove Jack's Yeasts review (M15, M36, M42, M44, M54)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one concrete example I got was concerning M36. According to my info it started life as wlp023 Burton ale, and before MJ's name change/revamp the M36 was called M79 Burton union.

They're a New Zealand company manufacturing in the UK. That means that dealing with Munton is particularly easy, Lallemand is convenient, there's a close cultural connection to Coopers and Mauri
Now that you mention Mauri it rings a bell. I was once looking for anything on Mauri yeast, and found ENSIS Sciences catalog instead, which reminded me of both Mangrove and SPL Intl, that produces kits and yeast for it via kind of OEM. Bulldog and Crossmyloof seem to be in the same boat with the same yeast more or less.

Now looking at the ENSIS catalog it somehow makes me think that all of them source the yeast from Mauri in the end, at least the major strains.
  • MAURIBREW DRAUGHT - high attenuation strain becomes M44 / US Pale / you-name-it
  • MAURIBREW ALE 514 - low attenuation strain becomes M15 / Real ale / blah-blah-blah
  • MAURIBREW WEISS - "Also suitable for Fruit Beer, Rye Beer, Witbeer and some Saisons", so M20, M21 and maybe something else "Belgian"
  • MAURIBREW LAGER 497 - "Mauribrew LAGER 497 produces excellent classic Lager characteristics especially when fermented at 12°C/53°F. Best results are achieved with extended lagering period for flavour and aroma development. It is the perfect choice for Lager, Bock, Doppelbock and Baltic Porter. At 20°C/68°F, Mauribrew LAGER 497 enhances fruity-floral character of an Ale, with a clean Lager like profile: it makes lovely “California Ale” and German style pale/amber beers." - this it a real gem; I believe AKA M10 "Workhorse", M52 "Cali" and most likely M42 "New world" / AKA KöLSCH

I don't really follow the wine side, but MJ have an extensive selection of dried wine yeasts. I suspect they track the Gervin wine yeasts made by Munton but I don't know. Lallemand are very strong on wine yeasts, Fermentis haven't been big on them in the past but are getting into them.
It makes sense for Mangrove to source wine yeast from Mauri too. See ENSIS above for the list or at Mauri's AB Biotek's site

That was a genuine question, I've never tried the Cooper's yeast, but S-04 just doesn't feel quite right. Most of that post was genuine hypotheticals rather than trying to disguise anything.

I've found it to be fairly similar to wlp570/wy1388, ie the Duvel yeast. It's highly attenuative (85%+ apparent attenuation) and gives off citrusy esters.

I've found it to be fairly similar to wlp570/wy1388, ie the Duvel yeast. It's highly attenuative (85%+ apparent attenuation) and gives off citrusy esters.

In other news, Fermentis WB-06 is closely related to 1388 in particular, but also WLP570....

An enjoyable thread! Been using some MJ yeast recently - currently have a Imp stout bubbling behind me with M42. I'm brewing a second batch of it tomorrow (with some tweaks) and was gonna use two packs of M44 but I'm actually just gonna stick with M42.

I've got a couple of brews in the pipeline and I think I'll stick with MJ for these (except for a NEIPA which I'll be using a different liquid yeast which I like for this style).

Anyway very enjoyable reading thanks again!

I tried the m15 in an OG 1.064 porter, and it stopped a couple days ago at 1.023(had hoped for maybe 16 or just under 20). Would m42 be a good workhorse-strain to keep at home for darker beers in general and stronger beers in particular?

I tried the m15 in an OG 1.064 porter, and it stopped a couple days ago at 1.023(had hoped for maybe 16 or just under 20). Would m42 be a good workhorse-strain to keep at home for darker beers in general and stronger beers in particular?

Sounds about right. M15 is known to be sluggish and quit earlier than we might like.

M42 is indeed a great workhorse yeast for just about any style under the sun.

Back