Mango IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robinsonrx

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
OYL-200
Yeast Starter
Nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
44 days around ambient temp of 70
Tasting Notes
Excellent beer! Mosaic is very prominent here. Mango is clearly present but not overwhelming. Citra and Amarillo work great to add additional tropical fruitness.
8.5 lbs 2-row
1 lb wheat
1 lb Vienna
.5 crystal 20
.5 victory

8g Columbus 14% 60min
1.5 oz Amarillo 8.6% 15min
1oz Cascade 0min
.5 Amarillo 1.5 citra 13.1% whirlpool
6lbs fresh, pasteurized Mango puree 29 days into fermentation.
2oz Mosaic 1oz Cascade .5oz citra added 6day after mango for 15day dry hop

Bottled with 4oz corn sugar.

Attachments

• 00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200228214843715_COVER.jpg
    00100trPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200228214843715_COVER.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 131
It had a slight mango tartness, but definitely not sour or sweet. It was more like a big juicy NEIPA. Definitely my best original recipe to date.

Curious about the mango purée ...Where did you get it? Was it canned, frozen, refrigerated? Or did you purée it yourself and “pasteurize“ it by cooking it?

8.5 lbs 2-row
1 lb wheat
1 lb Vienna
.5 crystal 20
.5 victory

8g Columbus 14% 60min
1.5 oz Amarillo 8.6% 15min
1oz Cascade 0min
.5 Amarillo 1.5 citra 13.1% whirlpool
6lbs fresh, pasteurized Mango puree 29 days into fermentation.
2oz Mosaic 1oz Cascade .5oz citra added 6day after mango for 15day dry hop

Bottled with 4oz corn sugar.

Looks good, but 29 days ferment and 15 day dry hop is excessive

i would add the mango after 4 days just when fermentation starts to slow. This will help avoid O2 pickup. I would then let it go another 10 days in primary, dry hop and keg. Dry hopping more than 36 hours with pellets is a waste of time

Looks good, but 29 days ferment and 15 day dry hop is excessive

i would add the mango after 4 days just when fermentation starts to slow. This will help avoid O2 pickup. I would then let it go another 10 days in primary, dry hop and keg. Dry hopping more than 36 hours with pellets is a waste of time

Yeah, I don't disagree, but between work and a toddler sometimes things just get pushed back later than I intend.

Curious about the mango purée ...Where did you get it? Was it canned, frozen, refrigerated? Or did you purée it yourself and “pasteurize“ it by cooking it?

Store bought mangos. Peeled, chopped, and pureed in blender. Heated to about 150 for about 15 mins. Cooled then added straight into fermentor.

Store bought mangos. Peeled, chopped, and pureed in blender. Heated to about 150 for about 15 mins. Cooled then added straight into fermentor.
Cool thanks. That’s exactly how I imagined it happening. Going to try this as soon as I bottle the SMASH current occupying my fermenter.

Racked onto the mango today. Smells amazing.
Ended up tweaking things a little to use up some malt and hops that needed using, but it’s your recipe for the most part.

I'm curious to find out as well. Just cut up a mango for the first time tonight that we got as part of a weekly vegetable/fruit delivery service...had never cut one up fresh before. It smelled amazing, so I added it to my daughter's frozen fruit smoothie bag. Now I want to brew with mango...haha. I've got Cascade but not Amarillo...need a break from Amarillo...had it in an IPA with Simcoe and wasn't a huge fan. Doesn't help that it turned out overly malty either.

How'd it turn out for you?
Turned out pretty well. I realized after bottling that I miscalculated my IBU’s slightly, but it was still good. It was clear that there was the potential for it to be a really, really good brew, I just need to dial it in a little bit, and get the IBU’s where they should be. It was also the last batch I made before I started kegging, so I’m looking forward to brewing up another batch and having it on draft. Might have to wait until spring though. I’ve an Oktoberfest-ish ale, and a Milk Stout in the pipeline now.

Nice! I'm planing a mango ipa batch and I was going to add frozen mango cubes straight to the fermenter, but your approach is better suited to what I want to do

I'm curious to find out as well. Just cut up a mango for the first time tonight that we got as part of a weekly vegetable/fruit delivery service...had never cut one up fresh before. It smelled amazing, so I added it to my daughter's frozen fruit smoothie bag. Now I want to brew with mango...haha. I've got Cascade but not Amarillo...need a break from Amarillo...had it in an IPA with Simcoe and wasn't a huge fan. Doesn't help that it turned out overly malty either.

I'm sure any tropical fruit hop would work here. Citra, el dorado, azacca, etc. Definitely keep the Mosaic. It works great in this beer.

Nice! I'm planing a mango ipa batch and I was going to add frozen mango cubes straight to the fermenter, but your approach is better suited to what I want to do

I do it this way for sanitation reasons. They say frozen fruit is fine to add, but I like these extra steps to ensure it.

Turned out pretty well. I realized after bottling that I miscalculated my IBU’s slightly, but it was still good. It was clear that there was the potential for it to be a really, really good brew, I just need to dial it in a little bit, and get the IBU’s where they should be. It was also the last batch I made before I started kegging, so I’m looking forward to brewing up another batch and having it on draft. Might have to wait until spring though. I’ve an Oktoberfest-ish ale, and a Milk Stout in the pipeline now.

Glad you liked it. It's definitely more of a warm weather beer. Keep us up to date with any future attempts. Good luck with your Oktoberfest-ish ale and milk stout.

Back