Recipe Advice: Wildberry Braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollowJack88

Reaction score
Working out a recipe for a 10 gallon batch of honey wine with a target ABV 16%-18%. with a "Berry Cobbler" vibe.
So the Plan so far is:

6lbs Golden Malt LME
2oz@60min/1oz@15min Cascade hops (Home Grown, Whole Dried)
1 Pkt Omega Hornindal Yeast
3-5 gallons water to start
Fermented until dry, Step feed 30lbs Honey adding water volume with each addition.
Rack onto 10lbs Pureed Berries (Blackberry, Raspberry, Strawberry, Blueberry)
once primary fermentation is finished rack off of fruit and onto toasted american oak cubes (medium & medium plus blend)
Back sweeten with 1lb Lactose Sugar & 2oz Vanilla (5-10oz priming sugar if needed) clarify if needed.
Age & Mello in wax sealed 22oz "Bomber" bottles until its ready ( 6+ months I'm sure)
-(Irish moss and Yeast nutrient & starter are a consideration as well) With the equipment I have available it might have to be two 5 gallon batches combined at secondary ( several 5 gallon buckets/ carboys, one 10gallon tank)

Do I want to consider Mulling spices or would that be too busy and drown out more desirable flavors?

Looking for advice/feedback on the order of operations, general feedback of the plan, and I could use some help understanding figuring out OG/FG with step feeding ( the process just hasn't quite clicked for me yet)
positive feedback & constructive criticisms are welcome as well. ( A Proper name suggestion for this one would also be nice, the first batch this is based off of was a Berry Sugar Wine I called "Wildberry Rush")

Last edited:
Odds are decent I'm wrong, but seeing as how nobody else has responded...

I don't think the step feeding will make any difference in what the actual amount of sugar is in your wine (you're just babying the yeast a little), so figure the OG by adding all your ingredients (6 lbs LME, 30 lbs Honey, 1 lb Lactose, 10 lbs Fruit Puree, 10 gallons water). Brewtarget says the LME + Honey + Lactose should give you 10 gallons of liquid with a specific gravity of 1.122

Not sure what the best way of determining how much sugar your fruit puree is going to add. Maybe take a small sample of the puree, mix it in with water, and take a hydrometer sample? Then scale that gravity reading to the full amount of puree and spread those gravity points into the 10 gal? I was told there'd be no math... :)

EDIT: BrewersFriend says 6 lbs LME + 30 lbs Honey + 1 lb Lactose in a 10 gallon volume will have a specific gravity of 1.132 -- and I have reason to believe it is more correct than BrewTarget

Last edited:
Hope the OP returns, last time he was seen here was on June 9, 10 days ago.

Hornindal reportedly (Omega Labs) has an alcohol tolerance of around 16% ABV, and probably would benefit from slow feeding of the honey (and water), especially toward the end, along with some nutrients perhaps, to keep her engaged.

so figure the OG by adding all your ingredients (6 lbs LME, 30 lbs Honey, 1 lb Lactose, 10 lbs Fruit Puree, 10 gallons water). Brewtarget says the LME + Honey + Lactose should give you 10 gallons of liquid with a specific gravity of 1.122
I haven't done the calcs on that, not sure where it comes in.
He said he's using 3-5 gallons of water initially. All the ingredients, LME, honey, lactose, and pureed fruit, take up their space when diluted, and he mentioned to add water with his honey additions, but not how much.

Definitely some loose ends in the recipe, but he did say it was "a 10 gallon batch of honey wine", so I'm assuming it doesn't matter (other than for yeast health purposes) that half the water and the majority of the sugar gets added weeks later. (And if it does matter, I would appreciate being corrected!)

Odds are decent I'm wrong, but seeing as how nobody else has responded...

I don't think the step feeding will make any difference in what the actual amount of sugar is in your wine (you're just babying the yeast a little), so figure the OG by adding all your ingredients (6 lbs LME, 30 lbs Honey, 1 lb Lactose, 10 lbs Fruit Puree, 10 gallons water). Brewtarget says the LME + Honey + Lactose should give you 10 gallons of liquid with a specific gravity of 1.122

Not sure what the best way of determining how much sugar your fruit puree is going to add. Maybe take a small sample of the puree, mix it in with water, and take a hydrometer sample? Then scale that gravity reading to the full amount of puree and spread those gravity points into the 10 gal? I was told there'd be no math... :)

EDIT: BrewersFriend says 6 lbs LME + 30 lbs Honey + 1 lb Lactose in a 10 gallon volume will have a specific gravity of 1.132 -- and I have reason to believe it is more correct than BrewTarget
The idea behind the step feeding, paired with temperature control of coarse is to help mitigate against a possible blow out, Happened once with a chocolate peanut butter stout, wasn't fun to clean and I had to dig an airlock out of the ceiling. haha ( We learned about blow off hoses soon after). I have a Refractometer for measuring fruit sugars but I am building the Recipe with the Aid of the " BrewFather" app, using their stat library for basic calculations for preplanning at least. I also only have one vat that will hold a 10 gallon batch comfortably so for easy of use I was thinking to start the primary in a 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket and work my way up as it were saving the big vat for secondary. I appreciate your time in running the gravity, seems I have a similar SG so the conformation in that regard is comforting.

Working out a recipe for a 10 gallon batch of honey wine with a target ABV 16%-18%. with a "Berry Cobbler" vibe.
So the Plan so far is:

6lbs Golden Malt LME
2oz@60min/1oz@15min Cascade hops (Home Grown, Whole Dried)
1 Pkt Omega Hornindal Yeast
3-5 gallons water to start
Fermented until dry, Step feed 30lbs Honey adding water volume with each addition.
Rack onto 10lbs Pureed Berries (Blackberry, Raspberry, Strawberry, Blueberry)
once primary fermentation is finished rack off of fruit and onto toasted american oak cubes (medium & medium plus blend)
Back sweeten with 1lb Lactose Sugar & 2oz Vanilla (5-10oz priming sugar if needed) clarify if needed.
Age & Mello in wax sealed 22oz "Bomber" bottles until its ready ( 6+ months I'm sure)
-(Irish moss and Yeast nutrient & starter are a consideration as well) With the equipment I have available it might have to be two 5 gallon batches combined at secondary ( several 5 gallon buckets/ carboys, one 10gallon tank)

Do I want to consider Mulling spices or would that be too busy and drown out more desirable flavors?

Looking for advice/feedback on the order of operations, general feedback of the plan, and I could use some help understanding figuring out OG/FG with step feeding ( the process just hasn't quite clicked for me yet)
positive feedback & constructive criticisms are welcome as well. ( A Proper name suggestion for this one would also be nice, the first batch this is based off of was a Berry Sugar Wine I called "Wildberry Rush")
Think I have a better understanding of step feeding math now, (Specific Gravity after added sugar+( Previous Original Gravity-previous final gravity)), something to that effect anyway. ( To Keep track of where the brew is at to avoid bottle bombing the batch)

Hope the OP returns, last time he was seen here was on June 9, 10 days ago.

Hornindal reportedly (Omega Labs) has an alcohol tolerance of around 16% ABV, and probably would benefit from slow feeding of the honey (and water), especially toward the end, along with some nutrients perhaps, to keep her engaged.

I haven't done the calcs on that, not sure where it comes in.
He said he's using 3-5 gallons of water initially. All the ingredients, LME, honey, lactose, and pureed fruit, take up their space when diluted, and he mentioned to add water with his honey additions, but not how much.
I'm still around, Haha; Work has kept me busy & I've been figuring this beast of a brew out in the background. Missed the notification I was getting a response. I'm not entirely sure how much nor how often I should plan to feed, I've heard Kveik yeast can be quite aggressive if you run them on the warm side. I do plan to hit the Batch with WLP-099 ( ABV tolerance of 25%) to eat the remaining sugars + deal with any possible stall outs as we reach those higher numbers. Should you or anyone have any suggestions for a feeding schedual, I would love the feed back otherwise my plan was to start slow until I figure out how much she can take. lol

Definitely some loose ends in the recipe, but he did say it was "a 10 gallon batch of honey wine", so I'm assuming it doesn't matter (other than for yeast health purposes) that half the water and the majority of the sugar gets added weeks later. (And if it does matter, I would appreciate being corrected!)
It is Certainly a work in progress, my biggest brewing attempt both as a batch volume & target ABV. I did say Honey Wine, although as a braggot technically I suppose it is a hybrid between being equal parts honey wine and a beer. To be honest I am not entirely sure how to even classify this Beast. The base will be a golden ale then from that I will be feeding it all the makings of a berry mead until its basically at its limits. aside from a classification, if it turns out well at least, I will probably have my work cut out thinking of a proper name for the recipe when its all said and done. haha

Back