Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopping4Hops

Reaction score
Hi all. Couldn't find any info about Lotus hops online from people that actually used them. I got myself a couple pounds of the stuff and made a session neipa with 62% lotus and the rest Mosaic. 5 gal batch in the keg, used a pound of hops total, all in the Whirlpool and dry hop. Grain bill of golden promise, chit, oats and wheat malt. I just kegged the stuff, curious to see how it turns out. Anyone else having used them?

I brewed an IPA using 70% lotus, with another experimental 'orange-y' hop. The resulting beer tasted sorta like an herby orange creamsicle when young, but the flavor ended up going coconut suntan lotion after a month or so. Was not my favorite, would likely work better as a smaller part of a blend.

So, an update on my Mosaic Lotus Neipa... It was a session 4.6% oat neipa fermented with juice. I kegged it on the 5th day which is probably too early while having a drop of temp at the end of fermentation. Long story short there is diacetyl. Not too much, but it seems to be enhanced by the vanilla creaminess Lotus provides. It is an interesting beer, the diacetyl also does wonders for the mouthfeel on this session. I mix it with a sour neipa I did with nelson mosaic blanc and it drops the diacetyl under the tasting threshold. That's when it gets interesting. Vanilla up frond, backed up by clean orange zest and a mix of berries. Interesting beer, although I feel as the Lotus works better as a supporting role, too much vanilla otherwise, which is a bit of a one note. On the contrary when I enhance the blend by a dash of vanilla extract in the bottle or glass it really rounds it up nicely. The vanilla becomes more complex than either lotus or extract alone and it also provides a very full sweeter body.

Last edited:
I also did another neipa with mostly Lotus, backed up by Citra Cryo and blanc. Vanilla also upfront, followed by orange, passion fruit and limey mango. No diacetyl on this one. It's a very nice neipa that I think also improves by a dash of vanilla extract. No need to blend it with the sour, but I do it anyway as lactobacilus neipa is my thing. Fruity sour with vanilla translates into barrel aged white wine in my palette.

Last edited:
In conclusion, I find Lotus a very interesting hop, definitely not smash material, but works nicely in a blend at about 30-45% depending on the surrounding elements.

I used the 2 oz of cyro lotus in a pale ale. At first , I get a somewhat soapy taste. I got used to it, but, not really the noble hop note that I expected.

Back