Little/no krausen in my fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryggAnton

Reaction score
Hey folks! I'm brewing a 4,5% ABV IPA with pretty much hops in it. Most added at flame out.

I'm starting to wonder if I messed up somewhere since there are no krausen on top in my fermenter. I pitched the yeast 5 days ago, day 3 it looked like it was fermenting quite vigorously. At day 4 it had a really thin krausen on top and today (day 5) I can still see some action in there but the krausen is completely gone. Fermentation temp is 19C/66F

Can this just be because of the low ABV combined with the hop oils on top that is killing the krausen?

Five days during which you've seen active fermentation, then it died down. Sounds utterly normal. Why are you concerned? Only some yeasts have a persistent krausen that remains after active fermentation. Most don't.

Five days during which you've seen active fermentation, then it died down. Sounds utterly normal. Why are you concerned? Only some yeasts have a persistent krausen that remains after active fermentation. Most don't.
Before I have always seen a high and thick krousen on top and now this time almost nothing. But maybe I'm just freaking out over nothing. All the other beers I have made have always been with higher ABV. Thanks for the quick reply!

Before I have always seen a high and thick krousen on top and now this time almost nothing. But maybe I'm just freaking out over nothing. All the other beers I have made have always been with higher ABV. Thanks for the quick reply!
Sounds about right. Depending on recipe and yeast used compared to your other batches.
I bet 66* is the lower end of the temp for your yeast and it just tends to work a little slower so there’s not a huge krausen.
I’m to the point now I don’t even check anymore. As long as I can see at least a little ring around my bucket. Which most of the time that’s all you’ll see if you miss your fermentation in action.
IOW..... RDWHAHB

Sounds about right. Depending on recipe and yeast used compared to your other batches.
I bet 66* is the lower end of the temp for your yeast and it just tends to work a little slower so there’s not a huge krausen.
I’m to the point now I don’t even check anymore. As long as I can see at least a little ring around my bucket. Which most of the time that’s all you’ll see if you miss your fermentation in action.
IOW..... RDWHAHB
I have a see through fermenter and I'm using yeast s-05 with recommended temp ranges 59-75F (19-24C)

Attachments

• IMG_20201014_224023.jpg
    IMG_20201014_224023.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
It’ll probably turn out fine. A similar thing happened to me a couple weeks ago with an oatmeal stout. There was almost no krausen, just a very very thin layer, briefly. I was worried it hadn’t fermented but the FG was fine, so it did, although it didn’t look like the usual thick krausen I get.

Back