Light beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've only been brewing a little while but my first batch was a cream ale from Brewers Best that was a more tasty light-type beer. So I'd look for cream or blonde ales in the recipe section, or come up with your own.

Mike

I just brewed my first cream ale.
6lbs pilsen LME
1 lb rice syruup solids
1 oz hallertau@60 min
1 oz hallertau@1 min

I still have this beer in primary. When I get to bottle it will have been there for 4 weeks

Light as in color or light as in low alcohol?

My neighbor said he doesn't like strong beer. I thought that meant he liked beers low in alcohol but in reality he doesn't like beer that is strong in flavor, such as my dark beers or perhaps even a nice light color APA as it would have too much hop flavor. You need to clarify what you mean with light beer.

I was prowling through the beginners section and found this thread. I looked at the link for the cream of 3 crops maxkling posted and have seen this recipe before. I just did a search and can't find an extract recipe for it. Can any of you help? Not ready for all grain just yet.

Brewcrew86 said:
I was prowling through the beginners section and found this thread. I looked at the link for the cream of 3 crops maxkling posted and have seen this recipe before. I just did a search and can't find an extract recipe for it. Can any of you help? Not ready for all grain just yet.

The adjuncts are grains that need to have the enzymes of the mash to convert them to sugar to be utilized. No malt = no enzymes.

It's a long thread...'I am sure there was somthing in there I think for at least a PM version. Otherwise you could forego the rice and use corn sugar or karo syrup up to about 10% ( I'd keep it under that 7or it won't taste very good) and use the rest as XLDME or other. Use a .5 oz hop bittering charge and maybe another .5 oz of your choice of hops for flavor at 30 min.

Use a clean yeast and ferment it as low on the range as you can get it.

The issue is with the flaked corn. You can use regular extra light DME for the pale malt and rice syrup solids for the rice. At the moment I'm not sure at all if there is an extract version of the corn. And the corn really makes this beer.

A mini mash is the best way to go, its just a more advanced steeping and will really not require any more equipment. You just need to "steep" the flaked corn with equal amount of 2 row for conversion.

go buy some BMC lite and be done with brewing

That was totally uncalled for and wrong on many levels.
This is a welcoming forum and accepting each person and their individual tastes and likes in beer. Telling another brewer to be done with brewing because that brewer wants to brew something not to your tastes in highly insulting. Not only to the other brewer to many of us here.
An apology should be offered.

My $0.02 -- {rant end}

Here is a partial mash that should turn out fine.

2.75 LB Extra Light DME

Mash
1.5 LB Flaked Corn
1 LB Pale Malt 2 Row
.5 LB Flaked Rice

Then adjust the hops.

that was totally uncalled for and wrong on many levels.
This is a welcoming forum and accepting each person and their individual tastes and likes in beer. Telling another brewer to be done with brewing because that brewer wants to brew something not to your tastes in highly insulting. Not only to the other brewer to many of us here.
An apology should be offered.

My $0.02 -- {rant end}

no!

No apology needed. If you make an asinine comment, people take it for what it's worth. Of course, two useless posts in one thread make you look really dumb and childish.

Anyway,
One simple way to make a light easy drinking lager-like ale is to use light DME, some simple sugars like corn sugar or rice syrup (not too much!), and hop it low. Ferment it on the cool side (60 degrees if possible) with nottingham or pacman yeast, and then once it's done crash cool it so it's nice and clear. Easy, quick, and a good lawnmower beer.

How about this?

3.5 pounds DME
.75 pound corn sugar
.5 oz tettnanger hops (or other lower AAU hops for bittering) 60 minutes
nottingham ale yeast, fermented at 60 degrees.

That would end up as a nice 4% or so light beer.

ok here is a good one . i have a friend who is a Bud Light guy. i got him to drink a Sam Adams boston lager and he is ok with that. Thats as far as he will go into other beers so i brewed this for him and he likes it its still malty and slightly hoppy
ALL-GRAIN
6 LBS Pilsner malt
2lbs Wheat malt
1 oz Williamette 4.3%
1 oz Sazz
I used an american ale yeast
Mash at 150-155 for 60 min. sparge at 170
collect 6 gallons boil to 5 gallons
add Williamettes at start of boil and sazz at 10 min.
primary 28 days and bottle
this beer greatly benifits from a couple of weeks cold lagering after carbing

Hope this fills the bill for ya and even if your friend doesnt like it you will :)
Happy Brewing

Btw... Nevermind about Karo... It's corn sugar to be sure and it would work-but I see now it has salt and vanilla flavor in it... Not going to be the same as corn sugar from the LHBS.

Before home brewing I was a an IPA drinker of beers like Hopsecutioner and Torpedo but I also kept a 12 of Miller Lite around as well. I call it the "Dasanti of beer". Now I brew IPA clones that I think are better than the original and my Lite beer is:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/miller-lite-really-triple-hopped-123937/

I have brewed it 12 times now and it gets better everytime. It is SOOOO crisp and refreshing. It has around 100 calories or less (if you care about that). This beer is so chuggable I have to get two everytime I go for one because the first one goes down so fast. If you are looking for a 24/7 drinker this is the one. I highly recommend it. Cream of three crops is great and so is Fizzy Yellow but this one has less alcohol and better for an "all day drinker beer".

Back