LALBREW® VOSS KVEIK ALE YEAST

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys, planning on brewing a smash ipa tomorrow, using Lallemand's voss kveik. Will be fermenting in a 27L fermzilla, so I was wondering just how wild this yeast gets? Should I be worried it will push stuff all the way up into the spunding valve (In which case I might use the standard airlock at first), or if I should just relax and have a home brew?

I fermented mine at 90F. I haven't used any post-boil clearing agents, but it's clearing up at a predictable rate. I have a kveik porter in the fermentor that I really need to keg as well, and I'm curious to find out how it treats darker styles.
i did a sour milk stout with this yeast copitched with lacto and fermented around 90f. Turned around really quick and is quite tasty.

I brewed a Voss IPA 49 hours ago, fermented at 100F, and it's DONE! Racking to secondary now to cold crash, fine with gelatin, then add dry hops (cold). Hop to have this bottled by Saturday.

Anyone have any suggestions on recalibrating the priming sugar needed to account for the strong post-bottling fermentation people have noticed with Voss? Would about 80% of the usual sugar you'd use be prudent?

Hi guys, planning on brewing a smash ipa tomorrow, using Lallemand's voss kveik. Will be fermenting in a 27L fermzilla, so I was wondering just how wild this yeast gets? Should I be worried it will push stuff all the way up into the spunding valve (In which case I might use the standard airlock at first), or if I should just relax and have a home brew?
I did a robust porter in the flat-bottom 30L fermzilla a few weeks ago. I had maybe 25-26L of wort in there, and there was plenty of headspace. Maybe 2L worth of krausen. You should be fine.

@TypicalNerveCell Hehehehe, yep! Fastest starting wort eating monster I have ever seen.
It's like time lapse in real time!.
@BolgBeorach I guess I didn't notice much if any increase in carb levels on the 2 batches I have done. I did think it carbed a little quicker. But very little dust collects on the tops of my bottles. (LOL)
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

Just tried this yeast on an IPA on Saturday. Used a whole package on 5 1/2 gallons of wort and set the temperature on the low side at 78 F. By Sunday, it had blown all the vodka out of my airlock twice. Had to go to a blow off tube which looked like it was hooked to an air compressor. No glub, glub, glub. Instead, I had an almost constant stream of CO2. By Tuesday, it was down to a normal level, so I could reinsert the airlock. Can't wait to keg it, carbonate and taste it.

Update on Yooper-wegian, or Viking Pale:
Been in keg, at 40F since 9/13 (4-1/2 weeks), brewed 9/7, 90F ferment, all Cascade hopping.
Dark orange is still there, folding into the Cascade pine resin more now.
Still not clear. Clearer, certainly, but not clear. No fining was used.

I am wondering if any of the people using this yeast strain experienced any problems with off flavors ? Especially the sulphur ones (hydrogen sulfide, dms) ? If yes how did they correct ?

I am wondering if any of the people using this yeast strain experienced any problems with off flavors ? Especially the sulphur ones (hydrogen sulfide, dms) ? If yes how did they correct ?
Have done several brews with this yeast so far and no off flavors detected in any of them. Have fermented in the 80-90f range each time.

No off flavors. I fermented at 100F and it finished in 49 hours. There was a bitter yeast bite but that was expected with a brew this young. This has been sitting at 33F for around 48 hours. I added gelatin around 24 hours ago and dry hopped this morning. It is slowly clearing and will be getting bottled on Saturday. I tried the same technique with a Hothead Kveik brew and it is officially ready today. The clarity is fantastic and it's way too flippin drinkable ;)

No off flavors. I fermented at 100F and it finished in 49 hours. There was a bitter yeast bite but that was expected with a brew this young. This has been sitting at 33F for around 48 hours. I added gelatin around 24 hours ago and dry hopped this morning. It is slowly clearing and will be getting bottled on Saturday. I tried the same technique with a Hothead Kveik brew and it is officially ready today. The clarity is fantastic and it's way too flippin drinkable ;)

Nice. I fermented at about the same temperature and it was pretty much finished in a day and a half. The last sample I took was pretty cloudy, but it is still quite young. Not sure whether to try cold crashing it or just leaving it to clear itself over the next few days then bottling on Sunday.

I second what @rtstrider has experienced. No of flavors but there's a definite yeast bite.

The kolsch I kegged 3 weeks ago has changed so much that I don't recognize it as the same beer. Early on it was decent, but cloudy and not all that clean tasting. This week it has dropped clear and I'm getting a clean profile with the subtle flavors I was hoping for. It's true that you can have a beer in a week, but its definitely not finished at that point.

I second what @rtstrider has experienced. No of flavors but there's a definite yeast bite.

The kolsch I kegged 3 weeks ago has changed so much that I don't recognize it as the same beer. Early on it was decent, but cloudy and not all that clean tasting. This week it has dropped clear and I'm getting a clean profile with the subtle flavors I was hoping for. It's true that you can have a beer in a week, but its definitely not finished at that point.

Same with my pales. Bottled after anywhere between 1 and 2 weeks, but they are optimal after another week in the bottle

I made this yesterday and I'm really keen to know if it's passable as a kölsch.

Viewer advisory: the following contains non-traditional ingredients and BJCP purists may want to avert their eyes or have fainting couches at the ready.

KVÖLSCH
5.5 gal, 1.047, 5% ABV, 26 IBU
91.5% 2 Row
6% Wheat
2.5% Victory
Chinook @ 60. 22 IBU.
1 oz Crystal @ 10. 4 IBU.
Lallemand Voss (half packet)

My kveik kölsch after 3 weeks lagering. I'm happy with it.

20201018_154615.jpg

My kveik kölsch after 3 weeks lagering. I'm happy with it.

View attachment 703015
Bottled the Voss IPA yesterday. It was very nice and pungent from the hops (Citra, Mosaic, Cascade). The yeast got right out of the way due to cold crashing and gelatin. Giving it three weeks in the bottles at room temp to carb up then will taste again, let cold conditions and clear...Then try again. It’s really fun to taste test the beer as it fully develops!

Have an imperial stout bubbling along with some voss. Been just under 48 hours and activity is already starting to slow and krausen is starting to lower. I pitched just a bit above room temp and haven't been heating it so I really expected fermentation to go slower, but it still seems pretty darn fast!

Bottled my Voss pale ale today after 10 days in the fermentor. It was pretty much at it's FG by Monday of last week, but I gave it time to clear in primary. The sample I tasted has a kind of honeyish, fruity flavour, and is a bit too sweet for my liking. Hopefully it'll balance out a bit as it conditions in the bottle.

What's the difference between in the bottle and in the fridge?

The bottle is bottle conditioned room temp to let the yeast referment the priming sugar and bottle carb. Even though the bottle is carb'd at 2 weeks I find there can be some cidery flavors when using table sugar. Usually at the 3-4 week mark at room temp those flavors are cleaned up and it's just straight up carbonation. Corn sugar always took me 6-8 weeks to clean up flavor wise and still had a very odd twang (verified this via blind tasting with award winning microbrewers). Now in regards to fridge time. Think of it as lagering because that's exactly what it is lol! I find my beers start clearing, or are clear, by the 3 week cold conditioning mark. The clearer they are the cleaner/crisper they taste as long as I leave the "stuff" that has settled out in the bottoms of the bottles behind. Yes cold conditioning works absolute wonders on bottled beers!

The bottle is bottle conditioned room temp to let the yeast referment the priming sugar and bottle carb. Even though the bottle is carb'd at 2 weeks I find there can be some cidery flavors when using table sugar. Usually at the 3-4 week mark at room temp those flavors are cleaned up and it's just straight up carbonation. Corn sugar always took me 6-8 weeks to clean up flavor wise and still had a very odd twang (verified this via blind tasting with award winning microbrewers). Now in regards to fridge time. Think of it as lagering because that's exactly what it is lol! I find my beers start clearing, or are clear, by the 3 week cold conditioning mark. The clearer they are the cleaner/crisper they taste as long as I leave the "stuff" that has settled out in the bottoms of the bottles behind. Yes cold conditioning works absolute wonders on bottled beers!

Interesting about the cidery flavour from table sugar. I do notice that in my beer when it is just barely carbed. Good to know what the cause is. Do you not get impatient with the long room temp bottle conditioning and then fridge conditioning ?

Interesting about the cidery flavour from table sugar. I do notice that in my beer when it is just barely carbed. Good to know what the cause is. Do you not get impatient with the long room temp bottle conditioning and then fridge conditioning ?

Not at all lol I keep a nice little pipeline going ;)

Attachments

• C073F346-A51B-4EB7-A955-8320752B8C7E.jpeg
    C073F346-A51B-4EB7-A955-8320752B8C7E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 111
Just kegged up an imperial stout with it. I used omega voss as an equivalent in the brewers friend ios app, it showed I would get a 9.48% stout. The lalbrew tore through it and the beer finished at 10.5% instead. Taste from the hydrometer sample was awesome. Looking forward to this one being ready to drink!

It handled a pretty low 3.2 pH in a Berliner "Vosse" like an absolute champ - two days at the standard 95˚. This yeast plus something like Lallemand's SourPitch make for a disgustingly fast turnaround on a quick sour; toss in some fruit, and you've got a Fruited Gose, grain to glass, in like eight days. Sick yeast

Just tried the kveiked Citra smash ipa. At first I was not entirely convinced, but I am quickly on my third glass, so I suppose it is quite alright! Definitely different from how I recall my previous batch of citra smash ipa with US-05.

It works well for porter. 1.054 - 1.012 with a 155F mash.

Lookin' good! I've done maybe 7-8 porters with Voss, and have gotten good results. Brewed another one today, in fact. Set a new personal record, too: 20 minutes from pitch (@34C) to first bubble.

I usually use slurry, but went with the dry stuff this time. 2.5g in a 10L batch.

Are you guys having any issues with bottle conditioning? I keg condition and have a co2 gauge that reads pressure and wasn’t getting any activity on my last kveik beer (it was lutra).

I’ve been pitching other yeast at kegging but would rather not. Looking for a kveik that doesn’t have issues with conditioning.

it makes sense since these farmhouse beers where these Landrace yeasts are from aren’t very carbonated and drank super fresh.

not terribly related but I got a pack of Lutra to try a pils (a la DrHans) but it's been sitting in the fridge since arrive last month and that pack is SUPER bloated now. I half expect Sigourney Weaver and some monster to pop out of it any day now.

I bottle conditioned my sour milk stout and it carbonated just fine. Perhaps you didn't have enough of an initial seal on your keg and the gas has been leaking out?

Lookin' good! I've done maybe 7-8 porters with Voss, and have gotten good results. Brewed another one today, in fact. Set a new personal record, too: 20 minutes from pitch (@34C) to first bubble.

I usually use slurry, but went with the dry stuff this time. 2.5g in a 10L batch.

That's fast. It's usually 4 hours for me. I'm surprised how well it works in porter. Very similar to US05 for me in this style.

Back