just starting my brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hitmandm6

Reaction score
Hey, whats up everybody. Im new to the home brewery thing and I need to get a starter kit. Which one would be the best? any suggestions?

It depedns a lot on what you are trying to achieve. Kits range from very basic bucket-to-bottle kits from kits that include a basic keeging set-up. Obviously the prices range too, from under $100 to over $400.

I think everyone here would say that a basic kit from your local homebrew shop would work just fine to get you started. If you don't have a local shop, I would reccomend looking at the big online retailers and choose the one that works best for you.

Austin Homebrew Supply
Home wine making supply and home brew supply available on-line at Midwest Homebrewing Supplies. Search for wine recipes and beer recipes
MoreBeer | Beer Making and Home Brewing Supplies
northernbrewer.com

You also have the option of looking at what you are going to need and piecing together the stuff you need without buying a pre-made kit.

Here are some other threads on starter kits that I came across on a quick search:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/starter-kit-help-59275/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/question-about-starter-kits-76231/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/midwest-vs-morebeer-vs-northernbrewer-starter-kits-22325/

Hope this helps and welcome to the forum.
:mug:

I bought the brewers best deluxe kit from the local homebrew shop and 3 batches later I'm still satisfied (see link). In addition to the kit there are extra goodies that will make your home brewing smoother. I found that a jetwasher (rinses bottles and carboys) is a must, as well as a bottle tree (drys sanitized bottles). If you dont have a 5 gallon pot, I suggest you start looking. Here in pittsburgh it was hard to find department stores that carried something that big. I only found one store, I think it was like the third sears I look at. It's a beautiful stainless steel 20 quart Martha Stewart. When I went to pay for it I asked the sales clerk for a vomit bag before I bought it. It cost me $107.00! She looked on her computer to see if she could order anything cheaper or another brand but there wasn't any. I look at it this way, I will use that pot as much as I can and It will last a lifetime, my kids kids will be using that pot... Good luck with your first batch! heres the link: http://www.countrywines.com/product_detail.asp?area=2&product={7CA87738-8A29-4E7C-8B0F-F30B6342F86E}

Papinquack: I to am from Pittsburgh and have recently started Homebrewing. I have an American Amber Ale kegged and it is quite tasty for a first go at this thing. I purchased a Belgian Wit (Brewers Best) kit and plan to start it this week.

What part of Pittsburgh are you from? Do you use South Hills Brewing Supply or Country Wines for your LHBS? I also do Wine at home and have about two years at that.

Sorry this post didn't address the intended topic!

Salute!

I'm from the north hills. I go down to county wines. Its well stocked and the employees there are very helpful, Steve is the one I usually direct my questions toward. I'm due to rack my brewers best IPA tomorrow if gravity is where its supposed to be. I have a satelite bottle I tested and tasted today; Boy is it going to be good! My amber ale has been conditioning for about a week. I'm worried about the outcome though, After I boiled the wort and added the additional 3 gallons of water, I was still shy of 5 gallons so I added water to bring it up to 5. I think I added at least half a gallon or so. When I tasted the hydrometer sample it tasted watered down. How did yours taste? Hopefully its just the way the recipe is? I've also brewed brewers best micro style pale ale. I'm drinkin some of those right now, mmm! We won today PENGUINS 4 SENATORS 3!!!

Papinquack: My Amber Ale turned out very nice for a first attempt at homebrewing. At least my better half and I think so. I am a Coors Light drinker for the past ??? years and I am enjoying the Ale a lot. I am anxious to get the Belgian Wit going I have in waiting. Country Wines is a great place. I usually head out to South Hills Brewing though cause it is closer to home. Same owner (both places), just a different name.

I think my Amber Ale might make it until my Belian is finished up. Just picked up some Grolsch bottles (24) and a hand capper and bag of caps from a friend who is no longer brewing. I will be putting up a few of the grolsch bottles for friends to sample. No idea when I will actually do a bottled batch though. I like the keg set up at the moment.

Salute!

Back