Newbie needing info!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScouseKamp

Reaction score
Hey, Everyone! Brand new to home brewing and finding it extremely exciting and interesting! I have my first home brew cider currently fermenting and just have some questions of anyone could help?

So I just bought a Cider kit for my first try and everything seems to be going well… I think. My air lock is popping around every 30 seconds and it has been fermenting for 9 days. How long inbetween pops should it be ready? I read up around 1.5-2 mins or until it has completely stopped?

Next is when I bottle it, what if it needs more carbonation? I’m struggling to find a clear answer with sugar, bottle bombs etc.

And last, in the picture it is getting a rather thick layer of krausen. Is this normal? I checked for black spots or any other discoloration/ mold and it just seems to be this gooey slime resting at the top.

Any advice for a beginner would be appreciated. Thanks
IMG_3527.jpeg
IMG_3526.jpeg

I only do beer, but I suspect it's similar enough. Since this is a kit, just let it stay in the FV (fermentation vessel) for at least the amount of time they tell you in the instructions. I've never had a bad beer that I left in the FV for a long time. I have had some that were bad that I rushed out in too short a time.

Bubbles in the airlock don't really tell you anything. There are reasons you might get bubbles even after fermentation is over. And fermentation being over does not mean the yeast have finished. They still continue doing stuff that benefits beer for a time after fermentation has finished.

If all you are going for is the alcohol, then it'll be there when fermentation is over. A hydrometer will tell you when that is complete. When the specific gravity no longer goes lower, then all the sugar the yeast are going to eat has been consumed. But many times yeast make off flavors for beer while fermenting. So giving it time afterward lets those bad flavors get changed or eliminated.

Krausen foam is okay. It might go away or it might not. Like beer, you only rack the stuff from between the crud on the bottom and the crud on the top. From one batch to the next you might see much less foam or even more that makes a big mess when it goes through the airlock or blow off tube if you ever use one of those.

There is a Cider Forum further down the list in the homepage in the Wine, Mead, Cider & Sake section. More people will be there that do cider as many probably don't do beer. This part you are in is under the category of Home Brewing Beer.

But welcome anyway to the Homebrew Talk forums. I hope your cider turns out well.

I also more or less only make beer. However, regarding carbonation, you will definitely need to carbonate it since it will be totally flat after fermentation. I would suggest to use this calculator. I honestly wouldn't know how much CO2 you want in a cider (and it probably also depends on which style) but based on drinking experience I assume it's like a well carbonated beer (2.5 - 4.5).

I hope your brew turns out well!

Hey guys! Thank you so much for your reply. I’m sorry I apologize I posted in the wrong topic I must of just seen “Beginner” and thought this was it lol. I’m going to take a gravity reading today as it has been 10 days. Again mixed reviews on how long to leave it in the carboy so the next few days I’ll take some readings. I really appreciate your responses! :)

Again mixed reviews on how long to leave it in the carboy so the next few days I’ll take some readings.
For beer, fermentation is usually over and done with in 2 - 4 days. The differing amount of time we leave it in the FV after that is partly due to what tastes or aromas we might want from our beer when ready to drink after carbonating it. Other things are visual, such as giving it time to let the proteins and other stuff suspended in it to fall to the bottom of the FV and leave the beer clear and clean looking. Some do that by a process called cold crashing. And just like time in the FV being argued about, that too has differences of opinion of how to properly do it and for what amount of time.

Just remember that the end of fermentation (conversion of sugar to alcohol) doesn't mean that you need to rush to do something else with it. Many times doing nothing else is a correct answer. Along with RDWHAHB.

All that and more is where differences in one to another happen that give your batches a uniqueness to your "artistry" as a home brewer. Your skills should develop to be able to reliably repeat the things you do that you find makes your product great tasting and unique. And there are many ways to brew beer. And I suspect the same holds true for cider.

For beer, fermentation is usually over and done with in 2 - 4 days. The differing amount of time we leave it in the FV after that is partly due to what tastes or aromas we might want from our beer when ready to drink after carbonating it. Other things are visual, such as giving it time to let the proteins and other stuff suspended in it to fall to the bottom of the FV and leave the beer clear and clean looking. Some do that by a process called cold crashing. And just like time in the FV being argued about, that too has differences of opinion of how to properly do it and for what amount of time.

Just remember that the end of fermentation (conversion of sugar to alcohol) doesn't mean that you need to rush to do something else with it. Many times doing nothing else is a correct answer. Along with RDWHAHB.

All that and more is where differences in one to another happen that give your batches a uniqueness to your "artistry" as a home brewer. Your skills should develop to be able to reliably repeat the things you do that you find makes your product great tasting and unique. And there are many ways to brew beer. And I suspect the same holds true for cider.
Hi! Thank you for your reply. I know this is my first batch and I should be easy on myself but when I get into a hobby, I’m all in lol. I’m sure down the line I will figure out what I like with tastes and different experiments and such. I’m excited for that. Just right now I am getting so many different answers on what to do next. If I have a few bottle bombs that’s ok. It’s my first go, right?
Welcome to HBT! Lots of good info here.

I always leave my ciders in the fv for 4 weeks or more. Never had any issues and the cider is always very clear and tasty. Good luck!
Hey Rish! After leaving it in for 4 weeks how’s the carbonation? If none, What’s your process on re-carbonating and bottling. Thanks :)

your process on re-carbonating and bottling
It will be dry and uncarbonated.

If it's 5 gallons I dissolve 2/3 cup of table sugar in 1.5 cups of water, let it cool, add to bottling bucket, rack cider while swirling gently to mix (no splashing!) then bottle. For 1 gallon batches I put a heaping 1/2 teaspoon of table sugar in each bottle then add the cider, cap and swirl.

Last edited:
It will be dry and uncarbonated.

If it's 5 gallons I dissolve 2/3 cup of table sugar in 1.5 gallons of water, let it cool, add to bottling bucket, rack cider while swirling gently to mix (no splashing!) then bottle. For 1 gallon batches I put a heaping 1/2 teaspoon of table sugar in each bottle then add the cider, cap and swirl.
1.5 gallons of water for priming seems a bunch. I'm not sure I'd do more than 1-2 cups.

If it's 5 gallons I dissolve 2/3 cup of table sugar in 1.5 gallons of water
Yeah, must be a big typo. He may have meant to write 1.5 cups of hot water. And that's to prime a 5 gallon batch.

For 1 gallon batches I put a heaping 1/2 teaspoon of table sugar in each bottle then add the cider, cap and swirl.
That's probably best when bottling small batches.

You also want to leave the trub on the bottom of the fermenter, only transferring the clear cider (beer, wine, mead...) on top, to the bottles.

Once the visually active part of fermentation has completed, a rest (conditioning) period of 2 weeks (or longer) is advised, so the yeast can clean up fermentation byproducts making for a better tasting cider, and slowly precipitate out, leaving clear cider on top, with trub on the bottom.

Sometimes a racking is advised to help clarify the cider, but that's a more advanced technique.

Last edited:
Back